Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Some stats at the quarter pole....dissecting what they mean

I am thinking that the inflated passing stats will balance themselves out as we start getting into the colder weather and cameron starts leaning on rice more. Seems like his mo has been to air it out early season then put it more in rice's hands come nov/dec.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I am thinking that the inflated passing stats will balance themselves out as we start getting into the colder weather and cameron starts leaning on rice more. Seems like his mo has been to air it out early season then put it more in rice's hands come nov/dec.
    This is the $64,000 question.

In the past the team could lean on the ground game and solid defense, however, the defense this season almost necessitates an effective passing game.

If you look at the Pats, they play in inclement weather, but that doesn't prevent Brady from throwing the ball effectively. Same deal with Rodgers in GB.

I think that this season we will see Joe and the Ravens O continue to lean on the passing game, especially if Torrey continues to grow into one of the more dynamic receivers in the game. I also believe that an aspect of this year's passing attack that is being understated is how well Flacco is distributing the ball. Through the first 4 weeks, 5 WRs have caught balls; from 2008-2011, only 4 WRs had receptions in any given season.

Looking at the production from our number 3 receivers from 2008 through today, Jacoby Jones is well ahead of the pace set by his predecessors. He has caught 9 balls through the first 4 games, compared to Demetrius Williams' 13 total receptions in '08, Kelley Washington's 34 total receptions in '09, Houshmanzehdah's (sp) 30 total receptions in '10, and Lee Evans' 4 total receptions in '11. While Jones is on pace for 36 receptions this season (only 2 more than K.Wash's 34 in '09), Washington totaled only 431 yards for the season, while Jones has already accumulated 170 through 4 weeks, putting him on pace for over 600 yards total for the year.

Obviously projections rarely hold true as the season progresses, given injuries and other variables. However, the extent to which our number 3 receiver has been involved in the offense leads me to believe that what we are seeing is more than taking advantage of the weather and is instead indicative of an overall shift in both talent and philosophy for the offense. In other words, in past seasons, the potential for dynamic plays through the air was limited to one or two options while today, Torrey Smith, Ray Rice, and Jacoby Jones are all threats to score from anywhere on the field. For that reason, I fully expect the team to continue down the path they are on because retreating to a run first offense makes the team markedly worse because it limits their ability to score from anywhere, at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Ya know, I was thinking of mentioning our offense as a culprit in our defensive lackings, but didn't want to ramble on any longer than I had already. Our offense has been highly efficient in terms of yards collected, but they seem to come in huge clumps and I think that might be a detriment to the defense. When the offense is clicking, we have a lot of 3-4 minute scoring drives. When it's not, we have a lot of very quick drives. That has to impact the defense in some way, but I'm not sure what stats would support this theory.
    Well the offense is 22nd in 3rd downs. The second half of the Eagles game and throughout the Browns game the offense stalled and couldn't sustain legitimate drives which forced the defense to go right back on the field. That's why I made the thread that the offense cannot continue to go through long stretches where they can't string 1st downs. The offense needs to be more efficient (like start off with more higher completed throws to get Joe and everyone in rhythm or avoid going deep twice in one set of downs or avoid continuously going deep an entire first half when the offensive line is getting beat) and consistent so they aren't putting the D in difficult situations like they did 2 out of the 4 games and even in the entire first quarter of the Patriots game. Of course defenses are going to be able to stop them randomly during the game but the long stretches is the problem. The offense being able to stay on the field and the defense being able to get off the field will be huge going forward.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 10-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.

I think we will have a top 5 scoring defense in the end. Vick had a very good accuracy game and Brady is a beast. Cincinnati has an explosive o and the browns appear to have a lot of potential on o.
    Scoring is up across the board, but I think the ravens have top 5 talent on defense and will be there when Suggs returns and the schede balances out a bit. KC should help bring the defensive numbers down a bit, and other defenses ranked above us will get lit up as well.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    When you consider that the Ravens defense is tied for 13th in the NFL with allowing 1st downs on only 35% of opponents' 3rd down attempts, the Ravens defense isn't really having that much trouble getting off the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Hmmm..just looked up our 3rd down defensive rankings, we are tied for 13th in the league at 35% and we've faced 60 third down attempts which is tied for 3rd most in the league. We are just not getting off the field when we need to
    Im not commenting either way, but its absolutely hilarious to me that back to back posts referenced the exact same stats and used them to support opposite conclusions. Just goes to show you can use statistics to argue anything you want sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Im not commenting either way, but its absolutely hilarious to me that back to back posts referenced the exact same stats and used them to support opposite conclusions. Just goes to show you can use statistics to argue anything you want sometimes
    Not really.

The first statement is accurate the second one is not.

For the second statement to be accurate, we would have to be about 23 or worse rank wise. Then we could say we have a "problem", that would be in the bottom 1/3 of the league.

13th is not a "problem" or anything to show a negative conclusion in the least bit.

giving up lots of pass yards usually results in picks. Ravens have 4 which is tied for 13th in the league (5 teams have that many)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te.../interceptions

hopefully more picks down the road.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    giving up lots of pass yards usually results in picks. Ravens have 4 which is tied for 13th in the league (5 teams have that many)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te.../interceptions

hopefully more picks down the road.
    And if Cary Williams could turn around & play the ball, we could be much higher...

Blog Entries

Great research LukeDaniel.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    So, this stat kinda sums up the entire compilation of these stats. The Ravens defensive "problems" have been a byproduct of one thing, an inability to get off the football field.
    The problem with "bend but don't break" defenses is that they tend to break at the worst possible time, e.g. a playoff game against a top 5 offense. The defense can't get off the field, they give up a bunch of points, and when they need a stop in the 4th quarter, they're too gassed to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The problem with "bend but don't break" defenses is that they tend to break at the worst possible time, e.g. a playoff game against a top 5 offense. The defense can't get off the field, they give up a bunch of points, and when they need a stop in the 4th quarter, they're too gassed to make it happen.
    imagine this "bend or don't break" defense against Manning in Denver with the thin air. Pressure from the front 4 has to get much better. We have 3 beasts up front btween Ngata, McPhee and Cody/Kemateu, they should be able to get more pressure. Until that changes, I don't see too much changing on the D's rankings with yards given up and getting off the field. Also, 6 rushing TD's in the first 4 games is not very Raven's D-like.....that needs to tighten up too.
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    imagine this "bend or don't break" defense against Manning in Denver with the thin air. Pressure from the front 4 has to get much better. We have 3 beasts up front btween Ngata, McPhee and Cody/Kemateu, they should be able to get more pressure. Until that changes, I don't see too much changing on the D's rankings with yards given up and getting off the field. Also, 6 rushing TD's in the first 4 games is not very Raven's D-like.....that needs to tighten up too.
    Those "beasts" main job isn't to get to the QB, that is the job of the OLB's/other blitzers off edge or up middle. The Dline responsibilities are more geared towards stopping the run, not getting sacks. They of course can push the pocket but again, getting to the QB is just icing on the cake referring to those guys you mentioned.

The bottom line is we are sending heavy pressure in spots just to get to the QB, leaving the secondary helpless in a lot of cases in man coverage situations.

I would bet without looking at the numbers that is where we are getting burned most, and why the secondary/pass defense numbers are what they are.

And that isn't changing anytime soon, due to Suggs being out. Just the way it is.

Probably gonna keep sending the house, in turn giving up big plays on the back end here and there.