Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Troy named starter V. Vikings

Just heard on ESPN that Troy has been named the starter next weekend.

Well deserved, IMHO. His stats do not bear it out but he placed the ball in some tight spots and he had at least 3 if not 4 passes that were dropped during the N.E. game.

Re: Troy named starter V. Vikings

This isn't a surprise though. Harbs made it clear each guy was going to get his shot to start.

Yea, this was announced much earlier today.

Thought it was just common knowledge.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    His stats do not bear it out but he placed the ball in some tight spots and he had at least 3 if not 4 passes that were dropped during the N.E. game.
    You're right, except that one of those dropped passes was dropped by a N.E. DB, who had the ball thrown right to him.

But I agree with Stinger and PP, I thought it was a given that Troy would start either this next game or the third game. All the QBs will get a good look. I don't agree that he looked better than his stats, but it was only one game, so he should get a shot with the starters.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    You're right, except that one of those dropped passes was dropped by a N.E. DB, who had the ball thrown right to him.
    HW, I remember many threads and debates where people who were sick of Boller would point out "almost ints" that were poorly thrown and dropped by defensive players.

They were met with stern and quick rebuttals pointing out that you cannot play the "if" game.

Seems like when the shoe is on the other foot, that excuse is acceptable.

It's just like stats sometimes lie.

People need to look at the whole picture and stop picking and choosing points that back up their arguments while ignoring points that might be a notch against their point.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    HW, I remember many threads and debates where people who were sick of Boller would point out "almost ints" that were poorly thrown and dropped by defensive players.

They were met with stern and quick rebuttals pointing out that you cannot play the "if" game.
    I don't doubt that, but I am quite certain that if Boller threw a pass right to a DB who dropped it, you did not see me say anything like "But it's okay, it didn't count."

I'm not saying that sort of thing hasn't happened, but don't throw me in there -- a bad pass is a bad pass, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I don't doubt that, but I am quite certain that if Boller threw a pass right to a DB who dropped it, you did not see me say anything like "But it's okay, it didn't count."

I'm not saying that sort of thing hasn't happened, but don't throw me in there -- a bad pass is a bad pass, IMO.
    I certainly wasn't saying it was you who said it.

But you can be sure it was said by countless posters throughout the years.

PP

I certainly wasn't saying it was you who said it.
    Perhaps not, but it was certainly implied (or maybe I should say that I inferred it).

But you can be sure it was said by countless posters throughout the years.
    I know, I remember it well. Some people view what they think is reality through their own biased lens.

Harbaugh said at the time Boller was announced starter for N.E. that All three QB's would get a start. Boller then Troy and then Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Harbaugh said at the time Boller was announced starter for N.E. that All three QB's would get a start. Boller then Troy and then Flacco.
    I don't recall him mentioning anything about Flacco starting.

In fact, I don't remember him mentioning who would start any game besides the NE game.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media...baugh_8_5.aspx

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 08-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.

If it really is an open competition then Smith should get the start next week. I would also like to see Flacco get a start as well. He may not be in the picture to start this year, but I'd like to see what he can do with some semblance of an NFL offense.

By the end of the third preseason game Harbaugh should know who the starting QB will be. He may not announce it just to keep the Bengals guessing, but I hope he does. It's not like our offense is terribly hard to plan for no matter who the QB is and I think it would be nice to give the starter those last two weeks to really gel with the first team before the season opener. And if it turns out to be Boller it would give the fans two weeks to vent their frustrations on the internet and radio call in shows so they may be able to minimalize their boos when Boller steps on the field. Two weeks should also be enough time for Troy to get his tantrum over with before the season starts.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I think it only right to see how Troy handles the 1st string offense against a 1st string defense.And as it has been rumoured the starter for the regular season will become clearer.And even may be decided before game 3 of the preseason.
    And things may even change during the season if Troy or Kyle get into a funk.

Before you throw Flacco to the wolves facing a 1st string defense.He would have to show me he can handle the offense against future UPS drivers first which certainly was not the case vs the PATS.

I think the jump from Delaware to the pro's is a mighty one.Where as the speed of the pro's must be about 100 mph,to a rookie from a major college,it must be 200 mph from a DIV 2 school. Give the kid time,let him sit and watch the pro's go about their business from the sidelines.And if all is lost towards the end of the season,throw him in there for some valuable game experience.He should be much more comfortable with the playbook and his reads by then.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.