Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gaining Knowledge from Ex Players -- Myth or Reality (from the "What Time is it?" thread)

The Chargers having so many former Ravens on their roster makes me nervous. Many of them played here with Joe/Cam, and know our offense very well.

Blog Entries

Re: What time is it?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    The Chargers having so many former Ravens on their roster makes me nervous. Many of them played here with Joe/Cam, and know our offense very well.
    One of the reasons I sadly picked us to lose this one.

Hopefully, I am wrong!

Re: Gaining Knowledge from Ex Players -- Myth or Reality (from the "What Time is it?" thread)

LOL...so they know about the "ALL GO" vertical play?

Listen, few things are more overrated than former players playing a team...particularly when it comes to plays/game plans. Watching game film tells WAY more than a player telling a coach about plays from the previous year(s).

If the Chargers win today, it won't be because they got some inside info...it would be because Rivers lights up our secondary and our offense shits the bed on the road like they have done 3 and half times out of 5 now.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Gaining Knowledge from Ex Players -- Myth or Reality (from the "What Time is it?" thread)

They know tendencies, like what Joe does in the pocket after his first read breaks down, or how Rice runs, or how Torrey, Anquan and Co. run patterns. That's all I was trying to say. But if we lose, I agree with your last point about Rivers lighting us up and offense again shitting the bed on the road.

They know tendencies, like what Joe does in the pocket after his first read breaks down, or how Rice runs, or how Torrey, Anquan and Co. run patterns. That's all I was trying to say. But if we lose, I agree with your last point about Rivers lighting us up and offense again shitting the bed on the road.
    Yeah...they can see all that watching game film.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

iirc Gaither is injured reservist?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/charger...5269--nfl.html

more worried about JJ's play than his espionage.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah...they can see all that watching game film.
    Or they can recall what they saw in person during practices and games. Film isn't everything when it comes to scouting your ex-team.

Or they can recall what they saw in person during practices and games. Film isn't everything when it comes to scouting your ex-team.
    JJ and Carr never played under Pees as DC so what can they offer there?

Gaither and McLain are two years removed from the team. Any info they can give they already gave last year.

This is a media creation and that's it. A coordinator will use 97% game film when scouting another team.

I am referring to what guys like JJ and Carr saw in practice against our offense regarding our offensive players' tendencies. The fact that they didn't play under Pees is irrelevant. I agree film is the go-to for studying an opponent, but ex-players also know their teammates' tendencies they can share in game planning. I am sure I am making too much of this, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

You have no idea how teams prepare.

Game film will tell you everything...everything you need to know. Plays, play call tendencies, player tendencies, everything.

I think make too much about former players giving information to their new team.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I know the Chargers are signing JJ's checks now, but do you think in his heart he's pulling for d-bags like Turner, Rivers and AJ Smith over his former team? I'm sure he'll go all out but I don't see him pulling out old playbooks to get one over on the Ravens when the Chargers season is over. McClain and Gaither seemed to harbor grudges but not sure how much intel they provide.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk