Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens road woes on offense should be blamed on Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    T-82--
    Not trying to defend Cameron here, but I had a flashback as I read your comment, "Playing scared does not bring championships". I think a case could be made that the Ravens did something along that line with Dilfer at QB a dozen years ago, and a Super Bowl was won. Obviously the Defense that season was an anomaly, and special teams didn't seem to miss abeat, so I "pre-agree" ;) that it's not a simple situation to explain, but OTOH, one could say that the Ravens 2000-2001 offense played "scared", AND won a championship.
    Completely agree. And this could be why we are still trying to replicate that magical year.

It seemed Billick did that to a fault, almost as if he thought that an improvement on our offense would decrease our chances of winning a SB because it would make us look less like the team that won it. Especially when you consider the way the Grbac attempted-upgrade was jinxed by injury and/or karma and failed. From that point on it was almost as if we preferred to game-manage our way along trying to get Dilferesque performances from Boller, et al.

I think, in general, the "play it safe" thing is an NFL tradition, and it shows up with all sorts of strategic decisions from going for it on 4th down to playing prevent defense, etc. The better-coached teams are quicker to abandon the "old" ways of doing things when they are proven to inferior or obsolete. Such is the case with passing offenses or offenses in general. Limiting interceptions is important, but gone are the days when a no-interception-but-limited-production type of passing game can win almost every game.

The ROAD WOES is way exaggerated. They are 3-2 and should be 4-1 if not for A BOGUS PI call On Jocoby Jones. Old saying is play .500 on the road and clean up at home. If they beat SD on Sunday they go 4-2 with 2 game remaining @WASH and @Cincy. They do seem to play more conservative on the road, not to turn it over IMO. This might be due to basically 2 rookies on the oline. They seem to try NOT to lose on the road more than at home. If it was for a horrible officials call @philly this thread wouldnt exist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    The ROAD WOES is way exaggerated. They are 3-2 and should be 4-1 if not for A BOGUS PI call On Jocoby Jones. Old saying is play .500 on the road and clean up at home. If they beat SD on Sunday they go 4-2 with 2 game remaining @WASH and @Cincy. They do seem to play more conservative on the road, not to turn it over IMO. This might be due to basically 2 rookies on the oline. They seem to try NOT to lose on the road more than at home. If it was for a horrible officials call @philly this thread wouldnt exist.
    Valid point indeed.

I think the thread says "road woes on offense"... Just sayin'
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Man I agree with this 1000%.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I think the thread says "road woes on offense"... Just sayin'
    2 Rooks on the O-line is the gist of his point. We are hugely limited because of their inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    It shouldn't have been that close. Conservative first quarter play calling was awful...
    If by "conservative play calling" you mean Harbs called for Birk to get steamrolled by Wilfork the entire quarter, then yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    "Joke claim?" No, just an opinion. I thought that's what forums are for...exchanging them.

We'll see how far playing not to lose takes the Ravens.
    my post was directly to the part of blaming flacco for not throwing the ball in that situation. When coaches say unless its 100 percent completion don't risl it, then you do risk it and its incomplete. That's going to be on Joe. Imagine then pitts go up and score. Joe would be run out of town especially when it came out he was told not to take a risk, then threw to dickson of all people..

Your "joke claim" was trying to lay not passing on flacco when it was a direct order from above not to throw a risky pass. Any pass to dickson is risky, period. So he chose not too. How's that his fault? Please enlighten me?

That was a bad game for Joe overall. but taking a sack there was probably the best decision he made all game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    my post was directly to the part of blaming flacco for not throwing the ball in that situation. When coaches say unless its 100 percent completion don't risl it, then you do risk it and its incomplete. That's going to be on Joe. Imagine then pitts go up and score. Joe would be run out of town especially when it came out he was told not to take a risk, then threw to dickson of all people..

Your "joke claim" was trying to lay not passing on flacco when it was a direct order from above not to throw a risky pass. Any pass to dickson is risky, period. So he chose not too. How's that his fault? Please enlighten me?

That was a bad game for Joe overall. but taking a sack there was probably the best decision he made all game.
    Thats the point. You don't give franchise quarterbacks that kind of directive with the game hanging in the balance. He should already know what to do. Having to be reminded not to screw things up is something I would bristle at, especially in my fifth year in the same offense, not to mention that it was the quarterback's play in the waning seconds that won games the prior two trips to Heinz Field.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post

If you read the article you would know that I am placing the "joke claim" more on the coaches than Flacco.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Thats the point. You don't give franchise quarterbacks that kind of directive with the game hanging in the balance. He should already know what to do. Having to be reminded not to screw things up is something I would bristle at, especially in my fifth year in the same offense, not to mention that it was the quarterback's play in the waning seconds that won games the prior two trips to Heinz Field.
    hows that the point?

His whole post, not the blog, but the post from the blog, is bashing flacco for not throwing to dickson. Explain how or why that's joes fault and how that is an argument for joe not being able to lead us to a Super Bowl?

Blog Entries

To me, the opinion loses ground when it suggests that a wide open Ed Dickson is a sure first down. Those are his toughest catches to make and it's clear as day that Joe does not trust him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore