Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    IMO it's garbage.

Drop count is a horrible statistic since no one can agree on what is a drop.
    What is "Reasonable to catch"? Is that adjusted by the WR based on talent level? Has Calvin Johnson dropped 9 easy catches or 9 balls that he usually catches.
    It's not entirely clear, but I trust the guys at PFF would apply their definition uniformly across all the plays they reviewed, so we're back to even playing field basically.

Also what is the WR can't get separation? Our problem is that our WRs get locked down too often so a lot the catches they have to make will be heavily contested.
    I agree, but this is a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    It's not entirely clear, but I trust the guys at PFF would apply their definition uniformly across all the plays they reviewed, so we're back to even playing field basically.
    I'll admit I'm slightly biased since I never use PFF, but I find any statistic that has to be labeled as "reasonable" to be flawed.
    My whole idea on what is reasonable could be very different from your idea. Some think that anytime a WR can get two hands on a pass it should be caught.
    I'm just not comfortable with it.

I agree, but this is a separate issue.
    Eh I'm not so sure it is.
    For example this very article says that QBs with a low drop % have no excuse. I saw Boldin drop multiple passes in the KC game. If Boldin cannot gain enough separation to have many "reasonable catch" scenarios then all his drops might not get counted by this guy. He isn't just laying out stats for general information. Instead he is using flawed numbers to build a case for which QB has excuses for a bad completion % and which does not.
    I know the Boldin example makes me sound like a homer, but I would expand that around the league. How many drops are not getting counted? Why would he not record the total number of drops and then separate those which he deems are "catchable"?
    WRs in this league can make ridiculous catches every week so IMO a catchable ball is one that the WR can get his hands on. It might be very hard or nearly impossible to catch, but it is still catchable.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

When they list Boldin as only having one drop, when we all saw him have three in the first quarter of the KC game, that's all the evidence I need to figure out that PFF sucks. I know that much.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When they list Boldin as only having one drop, when we all saw him have three in the first quarter of the KC game, that's all the evidence I need to figure out that PFF sucks. I know that much.
    You have still not come up with an argument as to PFF using the same data and premise to what a drop pass really is to all other teams too. So your basically now saying that PFF are pro Ravens and dislike other teams and mark them down as drops more often than for us? It doesn't matter if Boldin had 3 dropped passes against KC, if PFF didn't mark them down as drop balls, then that's not what they class as a dropped pass. They will be doing that for every other team in the league, and we still come out pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You have still not come up with an argument as to PFF using the same data and premise to what a drop pass really is to all other teams too. So your basically now saying that PFF are pro Ravens and dislike other teams and mark them down as drops more often than for us? It doesn't matter if Boldin had 3 dropped passes against KC, if PFF didn't mark them down as drop balls, then that's not what they class as a dropped pass. They will be doing that for every other team in the league, and we still come out pretty high.
    If he doesn't understand the premise of what you are saying after the first 4 times it has been explained, I don't think the fifth time will be the charm. ;)

But what you say is completely correct, of course.