Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league



    ProFootballFocus has a neat little article up about which receiving corps is dropping the most passes. Despite the infamous drops that have haunted us in the past, the Ravens have only 13 drops on the year, and the best drop rate in the league - 3.8%.

    I think there are still serious issues in our passing game, but it is reassuring to see them (and other elements of the team) trending towards minimizing mistakes.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...passes-per-qb/




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    This is what I've been trying to say, but according to some people around here we are just average in this department.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,314
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This is what I've been trying to say, but according to some people around here we are just average in this department.
    DITTO.

    The pass defense has really improved last couple of games in KC and Piss.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  4. #4

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This is what I've been trying to say, but according to some people around here we are just average in this department.
    It seems we have more issues of Flacco and the WRs not being on same page. WRs running the wrong routes or Flacco overthrowing WRs.




  5. #5

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This is what I've been trying to say, but according to some people around here we are just average in this department.
    And i already said the data is wrong when they say boldin has one and had 2-3 in one game. Wish to take pff as gospel youre entitled. I dont. They could have just as easily missed or counted one another way. Its opinion as to whats catchable and whats not. Watching other teams. Were average imo. Thats a good thing when we were so bad last year.
    -JAB




  6. #6

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    And i already said the data is wrong when they say boldin has one and had 2-3 in one game. Wish to take pff as gospel youre entitled. I dont. They could have just as easily missed or counted one another way. Its opinion as to whats catchable and whats not. Watching other teams. Were average imo. Thats a good thing when we were so bad last year.
    The data isn't "wrong," it is subjective like you said. They likely count drops as passes that should be caught X% of the time (very high, maybe 95%), or by Xth best WR in the league (very low, like worst WR in league), etc. Much like errors in baseball. A leaping dive that gets both hands on the ball is probably not considered a drop. I crossing pattern where the ball is thrown way behind the WR at full speed where the DB gets a hand in there as it arrives, etc, isn't going to be a drop to PFF, yet people here will whine about it (usually to defend the QB).

    But the fact remains, there is no evidence whatsoever that PFF is applying different standards to different teams/WRs. So you complaining about Boldin's total being lower than you would make it, just means you would have similar complaints about all WRs (and have to raise their totals as well).




  7. #7

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The data isn't "wrong," it is subjective like you said. They likely count drops as passes that should be caught X% of the time (very high, maybe 95%), or by Xth best WR in the league (very low, like worst WR in league), etc. Much like errors in baseball. A leaping dive that gets both hands on the ball is probably not considered a drop. I crossing pattern where the ball is thrown way behind the WR at full speed where the DB gets a hand in there as it arrives, etc, isn't going to be a drop to PFF, yet people here will whine about it (usually to defend the QB).

    But the fact remains, there is no evidence whatsoever that PFF is applying different standards to different teams/WRs. So you complaining about Boldin's total being lower than you would make it, just means you would have similar complaints about all WRs (and have to raise their totals as well).
    Possibly. Or since its subjective they could classify to similar catches differently. I dont know that, only theyre data collectors do. And again my definition may be different but it could also swing one way or another because of that. Weve had this conversation, i can see both sides but to me boldins werent questionable passes or uncatchable balls. If those dont count i cant respect the means of the data. Personal opinion, but as much as i disagree with i cant sat its definitive either way.
    -JAB




  8. #8

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    And i already said the data is wrong when they say boldin has one and had 2-3 in one game. Wish to take pff as gospel youre entitled. I dont. They could have just as easily missed or counted one another way. Its opinion as to whats catchable and whats not. Watching other teams. Were average imo. Thats a good thing when we were so bad last year.
    If you read the article they define a drop as a ball that is reasonable to catch for the receiver - they don't go by the official game book, I think. It's possible those drops didn't meet their criteria.




  9. #9

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    IMO it's garbage.

    Drop count is a horrible statistic since no one can agree on what is a drop.
    What is "Reasonable to catch"? Is that adjusted by the WR based on talent level? Has Calvin Johnson dropped 9 easy catches or 9 balls that he usually catches.
    Also what is the WR can't get separation? Our problem is that our WRs get locked down too often so a lot the catches they have to make will be heavily contested.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,002

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Somehow I get the feeling that had the stats showed the Ravens last in the league in this statistic, there wouldn't be as many fans questioning the validity of them.




  11. #11

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    IMO it's garbage.

    Drop count is a horrible statistic since no one can agree on what is a drop.
    What is "Reasonable to catch"? Is that adjusted by the WR based on talent level? Has Calvin Johnson dropped 9 easy catches or 9 balls that he usually catches.
    It's not entirely clear, but I trust the guys at PFF would apply their definition uniformly across all the plays they reviewed, so we're back to even playing field basically.

    Also what is the WR can't get separation? Our problem is that our WRs get locked down too often so a lot the catches they have to make will be heavily contested.
    I agree, but this is a separate issue.




  12. #12

    Re: Ravens have the best dropped passes rate in the league

    It would seem that they all belong to Dixon!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    ProFootballFocus has a neat little article up about which receiving corps is dropping the most passes. Despite the infamous drops that have haunted us in the past, the Ravens have only 13 drops on the year, and the best drop rate in the league - 3.8%.

    I think there are still serious issues in our passing game, but it is reassuring to see them (and other elements of the team) trending towards minimizing mistakes.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...passes-per-qb/




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland