Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: My Flacco Theory

My theory is that we cannot fairy gauge how good Flacco can be (or is) until he as at least 2 years in a modern offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Flacco looked awfully complacent and lazy against the Pats in the AFC CG last year, right?

:word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by scrock View Post
    Joe is a good QB, sometimes Joe is a great QB but he's not consistent

Since Joe came into the league he's never missed the playoffs, never failed to win a playoff game. Each year they seem to progress and they finally win the division and fall a play short of the Superbowl. Joe's reality is that the playoffs come easy, maybe somewhere along the way he stopped working as hard or he just takes it for granted.

Another year, another playoff run...I hope he turns it on again come playoff time, I know he can...its just this consistency thing

Just some thoughts...I hope he's one of the hardest workers, needs to be
    I heard that Ngata and Upshaw hung out with Joe because he had all this food and a huge TV down in his basement.
    They just ate and ate and ate and got fat and watched movies...and sometimes, when they had energy, they played some video games.

That's why all three are fat and slow and out of shape...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My theory is that we cannot fairy gauge how good Flacco can be (or is) until he as at least 2 years in a modern offense.
    This is depressingly accurate.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

I think most posters here recognize what my theory has been. Joe Flacco was not asked to come in a develop into the league's top Quarterback, nor was he given the reigns to strive for such on the field. He was asked to not screw it up for the defense and the rush offense. It is very difficult for a QB to develop some consistency under those circumstances.

Some have looked at his years in the league, without looking equally at the circumstances surrounding his tenure, and felt that he should be farther along than he is now. I do not agree with that. Up until this year, the team has shown the clear tendency to take the ball out of his hands the moment he struggles. That is not a good ingredient to use when you are trying to put together a consistent, high quality QB.

This is really his first year with a considerable level of control over the offense, and there is still growth involved.

Another issue is the administration of the offensive system itself, which is an OC issue. There is an improving level of talent on this offense, but not to the level needed for Cameron's variation of the Air Coryell to be most effective. Vincent Jackson is not here. Calvin Johnson is not here. Andre Johnson is not here. Nick Mangold is not here. Nor is Ryan Clady.

I think the offense they may be looking for, in the future, is more along the lines of what we saw from Indianapolis, a vertical passing offense that did a better job of using the shorter routes to set up the deeper passes. This, along with the reality that Flacco and Caldwell get along, is a reason why we should keep an eye on Caldwell in the off-season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I still believe in Flacco and I know he has the ability to be one of the best so whats the problem? There's a piece of the puzzle that does not fit, now can they recognize it and will they do something about it.

I wanted Cam gone last year, maybe the road troubles are just a lot of young guys not yet learning to win consistently on the road. This isnt the same veteran team as in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yes, EXACTLY that and an above average center in front of him who can drive forward on running plays (resulting in 1st downs on 3rd and short) and keep from being pushed back into Joe (so he can step into his throws) on passing plays.

An OC which can be imaginative and design passing plays that result in the receivers getting separation like every other team in the NFL. The skill players ARE here.

Joe's problem (to the extent that he has one) is Cam.

Cam consistently puts Joe in plays, formation, schemes and personnel groupings that do not make maximum use of his skill set. The guy with the square peg in the round hold graphic on his posts has it nailed. The two Ray Rice runs and a 5 yard pass play when you need 8 yards offense also tends to be a drive killer.

The Ravens still haven't surrounded Joe with the talent that he needs on the O line - keeping Joe upright is 75% of the game. Having two tight ends of which only one (Pitta) can catch is also an issue.

There's not a quarterback in this league who could flurish in Cam's system.

The fact that they've done so well is a testament to Joe and the team - inspite of Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    To quote the movie 48 hours, "pretty fuckin' thin..."

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Joe's problem (to the extent that he has one) is Cam.

Cam consistently puts Joe in plays, formation, schemes and personnel groupings that do not make maximum use of his skill set. The guy with the square peg in the round hold graphic on his posts has it nailed. The two Ray Rice runs and a 5 yard pass play when you need 8 yards offense also tends to be a drive killer.

The Ravens still haven't surrounded Joe with the talent that he needs on the O line - keeping Joe upright is 75% of the game. Having two tight ends of which only one (Pitta) can catch is also an issue.

There's not a quarterback in this league who could flurish in Cam's system.

The fact that they've done so well is a testament to Joe and the team - inspite of Cam.
    Didn't 2 QB's in San Diego flourish in Cam's system? One won a SB the other usually is in the top 5 QB rating in the league (usually)? Just wondering what system you speak of.

Let me ask you this, do you like anything at all ever about Cam's play calling? What did you think of his play calling in the AFCCG? I never seen half those plays (which leads me to ask where did those plays go)

I know you hate Cam, I know I bust your bowls about this, but honestly, you see nothing good from Cam at all? I dont like his play calling SOMETIMES, but most the times they work.
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Joe's problem is the early success that he had made people believe he is way better than he actually is and now the fanbase at large searches for reasons why he hasn't advanced like we thought he would after an outstanding rookie campaign. I PROMISE you that the offensive struggles are not just due to coaching. They almost never are. Am I thrilled with the AC scheme cam brings? No. But the execution is what is severely lacking when it all goes south.

Blog Entries

They're 7th in the NFL in scoring offense.

The following are the teams we've played and their ranking in the NFL in average QB rating against:

Bengals (21st)
    Eagles (26th)
    Patriots (24th)
    Browns (12th)
    Chiefs (30th)
    Cowboys (17th)
    Texans (7th)
    Raiders (32nd)
    Steelers (6th)

Not exactly murderer's row.