Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: My Flacco Theory

How are "inconsistent" and "predictable" a combination?

Some of that I agree with. On the road, the middle of the field doesn't exist. The Steelers seem to be the only road opponent, however, against which we become "run heavy," as the usual criticism after a road loss (and sometimes a road win) is Cam didn't run Rice enough.

To me, the problem is he tries to run the Coryell backwards. That offense is designed to work off of the run. You pound the rock, and throw for first downs as needed. You force the defense to give you shots downfield, because if you're moving the ball with the run game and (fairly) short passes, they have to move up. Cam too often starts out with the bomb. That, in and of itself, wouldn't be too bad, but when it doesn't work he seems determined to keep at it until it does. Flacco doesn't have time to get into rhythm, and the pass rush doesn't respect the run or worry about quick passes on third down: we don't seem to have any in our arsenal anymore.

When Kelly Washington was one of our receivers, we hit a few times on quick slants. I don't recall it ever gaining less than 5 yards. I don't see that play getting called anymore, even though we have guys who cause damage with the quick slant, especially if there's a missed/broken tackle.

I don't fault him as much for the lack of crossing routes, except when it looks like Flacco is getting good pass pro. Those are tough routes to defend. We've gnashed our teeth enough as other teams have made good yardage against our defense, after all. But those pages in the playbook seem to have gotten lost. Sometimes I wonder if Cameron hasn't caught whatever afflicted Cavanaugh: if a play works really well, he'll never do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Whatever. Reason people have to run to his defense is because someone is calling him overrated or not good. Sorry, but I listen to enough radio to know I'm right here.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Whatever.

Of course there are people who go overboard.

Guess what. It happens in every freakin city!

As a whole, this town has embraced Flacco.

If anything, the national media are the ones who criticize him more.

You and I both know talk radio is a haven for the whiners and complainers.

But in no way does it represent anything more than a small segment of the fan base.

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Huh?

Brees didn't win a SB with Cam. He won it in Sean Payton's offense...which is COMPLETELY different than Cam's.

And Rivers was good, but didn't experience his best play until after Cam left.
    When I saw that post, Wicked, I was thinking the same thing. To be honest, Joe's performances under Cam are on par with, if not better than what Brees and Rivers did under Cam.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    So what?

There is a very legitmate argument to be made that Flacco is indeed an average QB. Personally, I think he's a slightly above average QB but don't go crazy if someone thinks he's average. However, the furor it's met with around here is easy to see.

What is annoying is this notion that it's always someone else's fault when the offense looks bad yet all Joe when it goes well.

Hell, even when it goes well there are posters who will still rip Cameron and say Joe did it despite the offensive gameplan.

Most criticism of Flacco is met with an outrageous amount of defensiveness IMO.

Just what I see.

PP
    When you have the likes of Greg Cosell, Phil Simms and Ron Jaworski, heralding Joe's ability to achieve as much as he has under such an offensive system with archaic administration, with plenty of logic to back up their views..................
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    You would think if any fan base would appreciate a good QB it would be this one. Do people really want to go back to suffering years of Eric Zeier, Jim Harbaugh, Tony Banks, Stoney Case, Scott Mitchell, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Randall Cunningham, Jeff Blake, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, Steve McNair and Troy Smith.
    Oh no! That's way too many suck ass names to read at once.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Whatever. Reason people have to run to his defense is because someone is calling him overrated or not good. Sorry, but I listen to enough radio to know I'm right here.
    I think PP is commenting on the reaction here and not on sports talk radio.

And I agree with him to an extent. The fans opinions of Flacco do seem to be polarizing as to his level of play.

I wouldn't call him average but there is a body of work (this season) that supports the claim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think PP is commenting on the reaction here and not on sports talk radio.

And I agree with him to an extent. The fans opinions of Flacco do seem to be polarizing as to his level of play.

I wouldn't call him average but there is a body of work (this season) that supports the claim.
    I understand the sentiment from PurplePoe and I'll admit that I am one of the posters who is sensitive about Flacco. However, I don't see the body of work. What has he accomplished that an average QB accomplishes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I understand the sentiment from PurplePoe and I'll admit that I am one of the posters who is sensitive about Flacco. However, I don't see the body of work. What has he accomplished that an average QB accomplishes?
    I was referring to his body of work this season, not his career overall.

This is not his best year statistically. Not even his second best (so far).

All you have to do is look at a measured criticism of Flacco and the visceral reaction it illicits.

Seriously, just look at this thread.

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I was referring to his body of work this season, not his career overall.

This is not his best year statistically. Not even his second best (so far).
    But doesn't that sound more like when they tried to say Flacco was on par with Sanchez, because Sanchez' best season equaled Flacco's worst season? Aren't those rather strong lengths to go to for argument sake?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    All you have to do is look at a measured criticism of Flacco and the visceral reaction it illicits.

Seriously, just look at this thread.

PP
    I already admitted that man. I'm just saying that I don't see how the man is just some average QB and that any old average NFL QB could do what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    But doesn't that sound more like when they tried to say Flacco was on par with Sanchez, because Sanchez' best season equaled Flacco's worst season? Aren't those rather strong lengths to go to for argument sake?
    Huh?

I don't who "they" are, and I've never heard that comparison before.