Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If there was one player you could bring back from the past....

Ogden, don't think any explanation is really needed.

Heap would be my second choice. In his prime I think he could have put up Graham/Gronkowski type numbers on the team as it's configured now, with a legitimate NFL starting QB and legitimate NFL WRs outside. He put up great numbers as the team's only weapon in the passing game and with a string of horrible QBs. Not to mention he was an underrated blocker.

Think about it, he was the focal point of our passing game and was defended as such...with Smith and Jones speed, opposing safeties couldn't key in on him to help a LB out. You have Boldin and Rice also to worry about in the passing game. When you think about what Pitta has done and consider that Heap was far better in his prime than Pitta will probably ever be...scary.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

JO and it isn't close.

There are not many players in the history of football where you can plug them into their position and forget worrying about said position for over a decade.

JO was that dominant and I'm frankly surprised he's not getting more support. Maybe it's the recency effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    JO and it isn't close.

There are not many players in the history of football where you can plug them into their position and forget worrying about said position for over a decade.

JO was that dominant and I'm frankly surprised he's not getting more support. Maybe it's the recency effect.
    No it's the biggest need effect. Pass rush is the biggest need, followed by plugging the center of the run D.

IMO, left tackle is probably about 9th, 10th down on the list of areas of improvement on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No it's the biggest need effect. Pass rush is the biggest need, followed by plugging the center of the run D.

IMO, left tackle is probably about 9th, 10th down on the list of areas of improvement on this team.
    I guess but that wasn't a condition from the OP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I guess but that wasn't a condition from the OP.
    I didn't mean it that way. I just meant I think that's why people are not putting him on their list as the one Raven.

If it wasn't biggest need, for me, no doubt he'd be number one.

Blog Entries

And the game has changed to some degree; Oline is important but not as much as pass rush and skill players IMO.

McCrary or Boulware for current team needs.

Boulware had a more consistent career. In his first seven seasons he didn't have less than 7 sacks in any season. ANd had as many as 15, I think. If I remember correctly, McCrary burned brighter for a shorter amount of time. I think he was only with the ravens for 5-6 years. but that champ season was his best...

If it was adding one of the greats back to the team all over again as a rookie, It's got to be Ray or JO with the nod going to Ray for his leadership and longevity. Although, in the new NFL, where offense is king, its would be nice to know your left tackle position is a non concern for 11 straight years.

Wow, looking back, I'm GLAD we have a problem agreeing which great player to bring back!
    WE have been very fortunate.

I will go with the our dominant original blindsideguy and that would be JO.
    My reasoning...in this current "passing" league, giving Joe more time to throw, plus the way JO would push downfield on running plays would definitely help this offense, ESPECIALLY ON THE ROAD.
    Which I think is our biggest problem.
    If our offense played as well on the road, I think we might have ALOT less to complain about (myself included).
    With JO at LT, Oher back at RT, KO at LG, and Yanda at RG. I think we would pass block ALOT better and have a nice push downfield for those 3rd and one or twos.

Could we bring back an in his prime Ed Reed too?!
    He really was incredible back in the day....which was just a few years ago.
    I remember the only way for teams to stop him from blocking a punt was to actually grab and hold him and the refs refusing to call the holding penalty, even when it was blatant.
    But before that, we never knew when he would make that game changing, absolutely incredible, turnover/turnaround play. His closing speed and field vision after getting his hands on the ball was really something to see.
    In his prime, no one was ever like him, IMHO.

I like the idea of two Ray Lewises in the linebacking corp.

But here's a name that hasn't been brought up. Since we're talking about having them in their prime, how about having Deion Sanders and Lardarius Webb at the corners?

I would go;

Boulware
    JO
    Steve Everitt - guy was just nasty, and a little crazy.
    Goose

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If it was just 1 guy it would be Peter Boulware. Boulware + Suggs = the most dominant pass rush in the NFL.
    My thought as well before I even opened the thread.

McCrary is excellent and I love the guy but he is a 4-3 end and wouldn't work in our 3-4.

I count old colts as ravens Johnny Unitis !