Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: what do you attribute the ravens success to?

TBH, they are similar to the Chiefs in they have an amazing roster of talent, but unbearable coaching (both offensively and defensively). However, they have enough talent to pull out wins. This team, despite being 8-2 (sounds ridiculous), is playing far under their potential

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    TBH, they are similar to the Chiefs in they have an amazing roster of talent, but unbearable coaching (both offensively and defensively). However, they have enough talent to pull out wins. This team, despite being 8-2 (sounds ridiculous), is playing far under their potential
    That may be true, or it may be very far from the truth, it really is hard for any fan to know that, especially with an 8-2 team. We can sit here and complain about the offensive play calling for good reason at times, and we can sit here and complain about the defensive calls, but at the end of the day, we've been winning for 5 years straight now, with pretty much the same system through out. If the coaching was so bad, we would have ended up being like what the Jets are like now.

We have talent everywhere but our defense gives up a chunk of yards simply because we have so many injured players not playing, or playing hurt on our D. We have a former 7th round pick as our number 1 corner, a special teams ace playing the other side, and a bunch of undrafted players in out front 7. If anything, our coaching staff deserves a little credit for what they've done with such an inexperienced playerbase on defense.

Offensive wise we have one of the most talented groups in the NFL, no questions, and to me it has to be a coaching issue that we can't go on the road and play lights out like we do at home. There is a big difference between home and away, I am aware of that, but it can't make that much of a difference to arguably the best offense in football while playing at home and turning into one of the most average and predicable, stale, and 1960 style offenses on the road.

Blog Entries

And to answer the OPs good question.

I think yes, Joe Flacco is having his best season to date, and is a big reason why we are 8-2, especially at home. On the road he needs to be more consistent, no questions about that, but at least he's played for the most part mistake free football.

I think a big reason why we are 8-2 is because of our turnover ratio yet again we are up there with the best. We are +12 in turnover ratio, tied for second in the league with the Bears. Turnover ratio doesn't always determine the best teams, but more times than not, teams win when they are in the +'s.

Defense turns the ball over a ton, they are first in the league for turnovers on 3rd down, that's a HUGE stat IMO. We are the number 1 redzone defense for like the 3rd time in 4 years, very important statistic, arguably just as important as yards. Then you have the most important one, points scored and given up, we are top 10 in both of those areas.

This team is not that different from teams in the past, the only difference really is yards given up, and a hugely upgraded offense in progress. Our defense gives up chunks of yards, and that's either on the players, or the change in schemes, or most probably a bit of both. Either way, as crazy as this may sound, or no matter what people say about the D when we give up a first down, we are still a good defense if you look past the yards.

The most important thing that we need to improve if we want to get to the SB, is 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball, we seem to be terrible at both.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
    Offensively

Offense:
    Turnovers..
    2011 1.5/gm
    2012 0.9/gm

Through 10 games in 2011, we had 18 TOs... 10 games in 2012... 9 TOs

Defensively
    Turnovers..
    2011 1.63/gm
    2012 2.10/gm

We had 26 INT/FR on D all last (regular) season, and if you recall (I bet you do), 7 of those were in the first game. We have 21 this year through 10 games.

These stats are great numbers to consider.

Winning the turnover battle can win those close games almost every time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

" Jack of all trades, Ace of none."

I think that this team has a lot of good parts but there are some young/average veteran parts in some places too. There are also injuries that could sink a team, while trying to adjust the schemes with lesser players. I have to disagree about the coaching in general being the problem, although there are some irritants. I think that the coaching has kept the team close enough to let the Wins fall into place. The Eagles game was a Coaching Loss to me, but the Texans were simply a better team. As to some of the Wins, the Chiefs fumbling into the endzone and just playing sloppy football; the Cowboys missing a game-winning FG; the Browns game at home came down to a Hail Mary in the endzone; Browns II is helped by a stupid 4th down call by their coach; we get the Steelers without Ben. The Bengals, Patriots and Raiders games were ones that looked like the team belongs in the Playoffs.

So what do you take from all of that about this team? It is there in almost every game, but cannot be consistent in how it wins. It is a "box of chocolates." It makes it tough to go into a game and not to know what to expect, but it is possible for any of the parts to produce a win. That is truly a "Team", and that goes to the coaching.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    These stats are great numbers to consider.

Winning the turnover battle can win those close games almost every time.
    We are playing very efficient football. The turnover stats and red zone percentages highlight this. Flacco seems more in control, in spite of a constantly revolving O-line. Last year we were stopped on goal line short yardage many times. This year we seem to be breaking through on those attempts. To be 8-2 with our injuries is a credit to our coaching.

But I think the biggest reason we have been successful is there are no super teams in the NFL this year. Every team is flawed, and the difference between the top teams and those near the bottom of the standings has never been closer. Little things make the difference in the NFL this year, and the points raised by the posters above are all little things, but when you add them up, they make a difference.

Don't agree? I think the proof of this is the Cleveland Browns. They have played much better in the games I have seen them play this year, but have little to show for it. They do not know how to win, because they can't seem to do the little things to put them over the top.

Big Cleveland fan this week. Let's hope they find a way. They have never had a better chance then this week.

I think Flacco's a huge part of it. For example, even though he didn't play great in Pitt, he didn't cost us the game by throwing a pick.

Credit also to Oz and Harbs and the rest of the coaches for keeping us competitive with so many young guys on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post

The Eagles game was a Coaching Loss to me, but the Texans were simply a better team.
    What about the coaching did you feel led to that loss? I thought the use of timeout's before the end of the first half to get the ball back and take the long field goal was pretty shrewd considering most teams would let it run to get them off the field. I didn't see it coming and thought it was pretty aggressive since we were already up on them and were getting the ball coming back from halftime. If we'd gotten in to field goal range at the end, those three points at the end of Q2 would have been huge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    What about the coaching did you feel led to that loss? I thought the use of timeout's before the end of the first half to get the ball back and take the long field goal was pretty shrewd considering most teams would let it run to get them off the field. I didn't see it coming and thought it was pretty aggressive since we were already up on them and were getting the ball coming back from halftime. If we'd gotten in to field goal range at the end, those three points at the end of Q2 would have been huge.
    I think a lot of folks point to the coaching staff for the Eagles loss because we had them on the ropes for pretty much the entire first half and they let them back into the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think a lot of folks point to the coaching staff for the Eagles loss because we had them on the ropes for pretty much the entire first half and they let them back into the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
    The basis for my point. I felt that game was a win and then for some reason the calls shifted the momentum.
    Captain Offense

I attribute the success of the Raven's current record to the collective efforts of the organization, from top to bottom - there is NO better organization in all of the NFL than the Ravens, imho!!! Think of it, this team is headed to the playoffs for the FIFTH year in a row...pretty impressive. We as a fanbase are pretty damn lucky!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Great Thread. Some key stats have already been mentioned. Red Zone efficiency from both sides of the ball, points allowed and points scored, much better turnover margin, Flacco as a constant. One thing I would add is special teams. Much improved this year. The decison to go with an unproven rookie (Tucker) took balls and the addition of Jacoby has added an explosiveness in our return game, something we've not seen since Jermaine Lewis.