Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,681
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53



    Let me just toss out an idea:

    Dixon already knows the PGH organization isn't zackly enamored of him & that as soon as they have 2 other QBs who can play, he's gone.

    Except that he has to stay on that roster for 3 weeks minimum--league rules.

    Starting QBs get hurt all the time in this league. (Alex Smith, Cutler, Pig Ben, etc.) Who knows which one will go down next?

    Maybe Dixon is thinking that his best chance of actually playing--& thereby having an opportunity to parlay it into something longer & more remunerative than 3 weeks at the veteran minimum--is to stay on the Ravens practice squad (where he's still getting paid & practicing & staying in shape) & wait for some team to call.

    If Dixon thinks he can still play well enough to justify some team giving him a regular contract, then he needs to be picked up by a team that will offer him the chance to show that to them & be open to making him a longer-term offer if/when he does.

    He already knows that the Stealers won't--& joining them as a short-term rental takes him out of the pool for 3 weeks minimum.

    He (& his agent) may figure that it's worth taking the pay cut to stay available if such a chance arises.

    And if not, he's still part of a top-notch probably-playoff-bound :crosses fingers: organization here. (Who knows, the Ravens might already have promised him a share of the postseason loot if he sticks around.)

    Does this make sense to anyone but me?




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    4,022
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Does this make sense to anyone but me?
    Definitely makes sense.
    If a team out of contention loses a QB, I'm sure Dixon would be an attractive candidate to bring in and get a good look-see.... I mean would a team rather bring in a player like him with upside? or a stop-gap Painter?

    Cards have to fall right for him, but I can see what you are saying, he has positioned himself for the best case scenario if it happens. Squealers was a dead-end bust
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Let me just toss out an idea:

    Dixon already knows the PGH organization isn't zackly enamored of him & that as soon as they have 2 other QBs who can play, he's gone.

    Except that he has to stay on that roster for 3 weeks minimum--league rules.

    Starting QBs get hurt all the time in this league. (Alex Smith, Cutler, Pig Ben, etc.) Who knows which one will go down next?

    Maybe Dixon is thinking that his best chance of actually playing--& thereby having an opportunity to parlay it into something longer & more remunerative than 3 weeks at the veteran minimum--is to stay on the Ravens practice squad (where he's still getting paid & practicing & staying in shape) & wait for some team to call.

    If Dixon thinks he can still play well enough to justify some team giving him a regular contract, then he needs to be picked up by a team that will offer him the chance to show that to them & be open to making him a longer-term offer if/when he does.

    He already knows that the Stealers won't--& joining them as a short-term rental takes him out of the pool for 3 weeks minimum.

    He (& his agent) may figure that it's worth taking the pay cut to stay available if such a chance arises.

    And if not, he's still part of a top-notch probably-playoff-bound :crosses fingers: organization here. (Who knows, the Ravens might already have promised him a share of the postseason loot if he sticks around.)

    Does this make sense to anyone but me?
    yes, but did you really need to write a book to say that lol.




  4. Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Are we still complaining about special teams signings and roster decisions after watching how well they are performing this year? I think Considine is earning every penny of his contract and has earned his spot on the team.
    He (Considine) had one of the key blocks that helped spring Jacoby Jones for the winning TD this past Sunday.


    Just sayin...
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,681
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    yes, but did you really need to write a book to say that lol.
    I was working out the rationale as I was typing. You want your electrons back, talk to my Guangdong lawyer, Su Mi.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Posts
    272

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Pretty savvy move on the part of the Ravens FO to sign Dixon to the practice squad right after Big Ben was hurt. The Steelers could use him right now.

    Obi 1 Jabroni aka Byron look alike Gary Coleman Leftwich is done. I think the Steelers dropped the ball with the back up QB SITUATION.




  7. #37

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    Pretty savvy move on the part of the Ravens FO to sign Dixon to the practice squad right after Big Ben was hurt. The Steelers could use him right now.

    Obi 1 Jabroni aka Byron look alike Gary Coleman Leftwich is done. I think the Steelers dropped the ball with the back up QB SITUATION.
    He'd help them to an extent, but the Steelers offense now isn't the same one Dixon ran when he was there.

    I guess they could revert to the old offense - it's better than someone coming in completely cold - but Dixon doesn't know Haley's system any better than any other QB the Steelers bring in.

    Bottom line is as long as Roethlisberger is out the Steelers are going to struggle no matter who else is under center.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    He'd help them to an extent, but the Steelers offense now isn't the same one Dixon ran when he was there.

    I guess they could revert to the old offense - it's better than someone coming in completely cold - but Dixon doesn't know Haley's system any better than any other QB the Steelers bring in.

    Bottom line is as long as Roethlisberger is out the Steelers are going to struggle no matter who else is under center.

    In my opinion, it was probably a purely strategic move for him, and has to do with practice squad eligibility. The only reason that he's able to stay on a PS despite playing for a few years is because his number of active games is low enough. If he's active for a couple more games, he'll be ineligble for the PS. He probably wants to stay on the PS until a legitimate gig comes along where he'll be on the roster for more than a few games.

    That's all I can think of.




  9. #39

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    In my opinion, it was probably a purely strategic move for him, and has to do with practice squad eligibility. The only reason that he's able to stay on a PS despite playing for a few years is because his number of active games is low enough. If he's active for a couple more games, he'll be ineligble for the PS. He probably wants to stay on the PS until a legitimate gig comes along where he'll be on the roster for more than a few games.

    That's all I can think of.
    Actually that makes a lot of sense. I forgot about losing eligibility if you're active for too many games. That's why the Steelers had to cut Baron Batch - he's been active too many times to go back to the PS.




  10. #40

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    haha, totally agreed, I still don't get the Considine signing, he's terrible.
    He was brought here to play ST and not safety. I think he has played very little safety. BTW, look at the JJ punt return and see one of the blocks that sprung him. You may feel just a little better about Considine.
    BTW, I would have prefered we kept Gorrer, but the special teams are helping us win.




  11. #41

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Things did not end well in Pittsburgh with Dennis Dixon. There was word that Dixon was not a very receptive player to coaching. There was word that Dixon felt he should have received more of a fair chance to be the back up to Roethlisberger than what was given.
    Dude is sick & tired of the Steelers implying that Choo-Choo Charlie Batch is a better NFL QB than Dixon is.




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Maybe the guy just likes Baltimore better than Shittsburgh....
    LOL - All the Ravens hate Pissburgh. I read where Reed didn't even talk to Hiney in the locker room at
    the Pro Bowl.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,681
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dennis Dixon tells Steelers he'd rather be on Ravens practice squad than Steelers 53

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I read where Reed didn't even talk to Hiney in the locker room at the Pro Bowl.
    Considering the innumerable blindside cheap shots Whines delivered when the refs weren't looking--including a memorable one to Reed--he's lucky Ed didn't come up behind him & "accidentally" shove his face through a closed window. Then again the coward probably spent the entire week like NFL QBs--making sure he knew where #20 was at all times. And never turning his back on him.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland