Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner

Blog Entries

Norv Turner

The best thing that could happen Sunday is that the Ravens defeat the Chargers 55-17 (With a late TD pass to Gates and Alexander for my fantasy teams), with Norv Turner being fired immediately after the game, only to get an anonymous call from a representative of a certain GM, telling him to relax on the couch for a few months, because he'll be employed soon.

The Charger's offensive struggles should not be an indictment of Turner's abilities as an OC. There have been several high quality coordinators who have struggled as head coaches, especially when trying to juggle a head coach's responsibilities with continued play-calling.

If you watch San Diego play, Norv Turner has tried different things to help the offense out. They've tried to use the middle of the field, but teams are keying in on Gates with the absence of Vincent Jackson on the outside. They've tried running the football, but none of their RBs have been able to stay in San Diego, let alone healthy. That's A.J. Smith's fault, more than anything. They just picked up Denario Alexander up off the street a few weeks ago. He has somehow scored about four or five TDs in three games. The guy they expected to step into Jackson's shoes was injured before the season started. Floyd has failed to do so. Turner has even tried moving Floyd into the slot to help get him open. They've had two offensive linemen retire and Gaither has been in and out.

Norv Turner's resume with QB and as an OC, is of a very high quality.

On one hand, the Ravens could use another piece or two to really make his system run. That size/speed WR is still missing (could it be Streeter in time?). That ultra athletic pass catching TE, to exploit the middle of the field, is also missing (That was supposed to be Dickson).

On the other hand, Turner is a guy who can fix the Ravens key issue, lack of adjustments on offense.

If Turner becomes available, there is no doubt that he would be the top candidate and I would welcome him with open arms.

It's not the system, it's the administration of the system.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Norv Turner

We can all dream. I hope you get your Christmas wish.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I hope and wish your dream comes true.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I think we all are smart enough to know that some great coordinators aren't good head coaches.

Guys like Norv, Rex, Wade Phillips, Dick Lebeau, Scott Linehan...and many, many more.

Great coordinators, bad head coaches.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think we all are smart enough to know that some great coordinators aren't good head coaches.

Guys like Norv, Rex, Wade Phillips, Dick Lebeau, Scott Linehan...and many, many more.

Great coordinators, bad head coaches.
    I didn't mean to disrespect anybody. This was just off of a few comments that I've read, that since Turner's offense has struggled, that he wouldn't be a good OC here.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I think it's going to come down to where the Ravens end up in the Post season. Joe is in a contract year and Cam/harbs gave him more of the control on O via the no huddle. It hasn't looked very good in road games, at home a different story. Who is at fault there? It's funny, there's a bunch of fans that think it's on Flacco and a bunch that think it's on Cam that the Offense is not consistently high powered (of course the 2 loses we have came from at least 1 team with a VERY good D)...if there's no playoffs or a very early exit, at least half of these fans are going to be sorely disappointed with what happens afterwards. Joe could potentially leave if he thinks the Ravens low ball him or Cam could go, we get Norv and then we hope we don't go 8-8 or so adjusting to his scheme and rebuilding around his philosophy. In any case, let's not start counting chickens before they hatch. This team can still do enough to get to and win a super bowl and there's plenty of football to play.

Blog Entries
    I think cam is gone this year regardless of what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Joe's not going anywhere, they'll tag him if necessary.

And if they beat San Diego that means they're 9-2 and 2nd best team in the AFC. Who fires their assistant coach when they're one of the best and 7th in the league in scoring? I remember when SD fired their winning coach and brought in Norv and it hasn't worked out. Luckily our GM isn't an idiot like theirs (who will probably also be fired this year).

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think cam is gone this year regardless of what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So if the Ravens actually WIN the super bowl, they'll fire Cam? doubt it.

Blog Entries

John Harbaugh has no personal relationship with Norv Turner which is why he would never hire him

Blog Entries

Has anyone considered Andy Reid?
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 11-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Blog Entries

not Jason Garrett, another game of horrible coaching mistakes. And two games in a row where Romo drops back to throw 59 times. Seriously?