Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

This might actually end up being a good thing. Get's him rested for Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    A quick Google search shows Clark with two defenseless receiver penalties this year and I remember he had one on Dickson last year, so where is his suspension? That's with like 3 minutes of research.

I'm sure Clark isn't the only one, too. Reed will win his appeal.
    I don't think the league recognized Clark's hit on Cruz this year as a violation, despite it being called a penalty on the field. He was not fined for it, and I think the league's stance is effectively that it should not have been called (and therefore shouldn't count towards the 3 in 3 years).

That said, my impression is that Clark has had like 5-6 of these kinds of hits over the last 3 years, but maybe I am wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't think the league recognized Clark's hit on Cruz this year as a violation, despite it being called a penalty on the field. He was not fined for it, and I think the league's stance is effectively that it should not have been called (and therefore shouldn't count towards the 3 in 3 years).

That said, my impression is that Clark has had like 5-6 of these kinds of hits over the last 3 years, but maybe I am wrong about that.
    He was done for dhb this year I think, Dickson last year or the year before. And I'm certain he's had at least one more. That would be my argument in the appeal process.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    How many hits to the head has Ryan Clark had since 2010? A half dozen?
    If I am on the appeal squad I check ALL footage of Clark, because I am sure there is no way he hasn't had more then Ed.

The Ginger Hammer strikes again. This makes literally no sense. He went all of 2011 without an illegal hit and that doesn't wipe his slate clean for '10?

What happens to Ed's $423k that he would be due for the suspended game? Does anyone know how that works? Do the Ravens keep it? Does the league confiscate it, i.e. it is a huge fine? Does it go to charity?

The appeal should be intent. Unless it can be proven he intended to hit the head there should be no suspension. Most of these hits are accidental. The player moves in for the tackle at the waist and the receiver lowers his body to take the hit. So the waist shot is now the shoulders and head.

Blog Entries

It doesn't sound like it's black and white:

The punishment comes in response to Reed’s third penalty for violating the rules protecting defenseless players in the past three seasons. It suggests that, if the league intends to be consistent, any player with three violations in a three-year window will receive a one-game suspension. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says that the suspension does not indicate the presence of a formula, and that every case will be handled based on its own facts and circumstances.
    I want to know exactly what lead the NFL to suspend him because he clearly isn't a malicious player on the field like a James Harrison is perceived to be. It makes zero sense to me, a "three in three years" rule is dumb, but at least that is concrete.

This supposed lack of a formula is what bothers me, because if that's the case I don't understand it at all. He had none last year. It's not like he's got a reputation as a headhunter, hell, he has a reputation for avoiding contact as much as possible. Makes no sense.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    What happens to Ed's $423k that he would be due for the suspended game? Does anyone know how that works? Do the Ravens keep it? Does the league confiscate it, i.e. it is a huge fine? Does it go to charity?
    All fines go to charity's I think. I remember someone saying that about Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    It doesn't sound like it's black and white:

I want to know exactly what lead the NFL to suspend him because he clearly isn't a malicious player on the field like a James Harrison is perceived to be. It makes zero sense to me, a "three in three years" rule is dumb, but at least that is concrete.

This supposed lack of a formula is what bothers me, because if that's the case I don't understand it at all. He had none last year. It's not like he's got a reputation as a headhunter, hell, he has a reputation for avoiding contact as much as possible. Makes no sense.
    I was lead to believe there was a formula. But I just read that myself. You either have a rule or you don't. You can't pick and choose who is suspended.

Pick and choose your fines, based on the hit itself, fine the bad ones, give a warning about others, such as Clarks hit on cruz that he didnt get fined for. But if two people are fined three times, you can't just suspend one of the,.

Blog Entries

Goodell and the NFL are just mad that the Ravens beat their team on national TV.

Blog Entries

yeah I guess the upside for Reed is the fine goes to a charity of his choice and he gets a tax deduction. I'm sure he'd rather have the money