Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    He hasn't changed, the game has.

Watch this video...

Hits he would get flagged for now occur at:
    0:15
    1:39 Clean hit but there would be a 50% chance of a flag thrown today
    1:43

Yeah Ed sucks at wrap up tackling now but that has nothing to do with separating a receiver from the ball. Ed is not dirty and does not play with the intent to injure. Ed does not launch himself (leave his feet, throwing his body like a projectile) in any of the hits he has laid.
    brings a tear to my eye. This man deserves jewellery

Excellent! I'm surprised and glad we dodged this bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    If you look at the hit honestly, Reed is attempting to hit his left shoulder(like you said he used to) in the middle of Sanders' body as Sanders turns and faces him.
    Right. He did used to tackle better. I'm not saying he was trying to go head-to-head here. He's never been a headhunter or dirty player before; it's absurd to think in the December of his career he'd suddenly become something he wasn't.

Just because he didn't *try* to commit a flagrant foul doesn't mean he didn't *do* it.

Regardless, as far as I'm concerned, the league gave him a pass (possibly because, in the long arc of his career, this was a relatively isolated incident), so we move on.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

In so many of the helmet to helmet hits - the O player turns his head (knowingly or unknowlingly) to bring about the H-H contact. Should we start flagging the O player also?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    In so many of the helmet to helmet hits - the O player turns his head (knowingly or unknowlingly) to bring about the H-H contact. Should we start flagging the O player also?
    I think that they should be flagged and fined. If this is how they're going to call te game, then receivers should not be allowed to duck their head to brace for impact. They should be required to open up their chest to give defenders as stable a target as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    The NFL has made it clear that if the offensive player changes position it is on the defensive player to change his target or strike zone. BS, but that's the way they want it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

IMHO, I think the Ravens reputation as a first class organization played a hand in Cottrell's decison to lift the suspension. I also take issue with Cottrell's use of the word "egregious" in his letter to Ed and that is something Ed is not when he plays the game.

Blog Entries

I really wish he would've taken his good fortune and gone back to work instead of telling the media "if you want to stop concussions, stop the game". Lesson not learned

This comes down to trying to make an example of Ed Reed and to announce the league's new "standard of safety."

When did the league announce a "3 strikes and you're out" policy?

They didn't that I'm aware of.

And to count those strikes over the course of a career? Ridiculous.

NOW they have set a precedent.

Now anytime there's a high hit, espn analysts are going to have their researchers looking up how many times the defensive player has done it, been fined and speculate if they will be suspended.

All so the NFL can cover their behinds for the upcoming concussion lawsuits.

Even with the reduction and 50k fine, this was a complete bs move by the league.

The leauge is trying to CYA and implement a new law and wanted to announce it via a future HOF member, Ed Reed.