Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

Blog Entries

I wish they would consider 'intent' because clearly Reed is not a head hunter. But he did hit above the shoulders and with the massive lawsuits piling up, the NFL has to do everything possible to demonstrate that they're trying to prevent head injuries. It's about money

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Think of Junior Seau and John Mackey before you complain about efforts to reduce head trauma.
    Right. John Mackey would come to Ed Reed's defense, too.

They're macho and they respect Ed (they should!). But he went high-to-high with his helmet and these are the rules now.

He lowered his head a few inches before impact, which is what separates him from the real thugs like Rodney Harrison, James Harrison, and that thug who was in New England (not Harrison. More recent NE thug). He's not a bad guy, but he did something dangerous and now he can serve his suspension like I'd expect any other player to do.

I'm glad he's getting the support of the NFL community because it signals how much respect he gets, but it doesn't change what he did.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    that's the best replay I've seen; Sanders wheeled around so quickly after the catch that it would've been almost impossible to avoid the impact. I think maybe Reed thought he would keep going in stride. Either way he technically hit him above the shoulders and it's a foul. But he was not head hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    that's the best replay I've seen; Sanders wheeled around so quickly after the catch that it would've been almost impossible to avoid the impact. I think maybe Reed thought he would keep going in stride. Either way he technically hit him above the shoulders and it's a foul. But he was not head hunting
    This ^^

Which is why I think he wins his appeal. It would be ridiculous for Reed to lose half a million dollars over this. I think they'll fine him 75k and lift the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Ben's injury is 1. An incredibly rare complication associated with dislocated ribs, and 2. Not in any way shape or form permanently disabling in the same way Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, strokes, suicidal depression, or premature DEATH are. (Ya know, those side effects of repeated concussions?) Honestly I can't tell if this post was a weak attempt at "gotcha" arguing or just a sign that you literally don't understand how dangerous research is showing head injuries to be.
    My post is basically agreeing with a previous poster saying they while the NFL says they are concerned with player safety in reality they are only concerned with the head traumas they can get sued for later. I'm also disagreeing with you on your assertion that only head trauma is life altering. ANY broken ribs can injure blood vessels, damage internal organs, puncture lungs or cause complications which cause pneumonia if they are reaggrevated (broken ribs, not cracked). That is life altering. Yes, Ben's injury is rare but while Leftwich's broken ribs might not be as rare as Ben's, it can still be just as life altering to Byron (i.e. kill or seriously injure him if he takes a shot to the ribs).

Stop kidding yourselves into thinking that this is anything more than Goodell's paranoid ass being mega fucking petty about Reed coming out about lying on the injury report several weeks ago. He's such a god damn douche. God I hate Goodell.

Blog Entries

Goodell was supposed to be a Baltimore colts fan growing up.

Listening to Ray Anderson on Mike & Mike tright now.

This guy is all over the place. Scripted, no thought deducing, flat out crap answers in regards to Reed's suspension.

Absolute horse shit.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Right. John Mackey would come to Ed Reed's defense, too.

They're macho and they respect Ed (they should!). But he went high-to-high with his helmet and these are the rules now.

He lowered his head a few inches before impact, which is what separates him from the real thugs like Rodney Harrison, James Harrison, and that thug who was in New England (not Harrison. More recent NE thug). He's not a bad guy, but he did something dangerous and now he can serve his suspension like I'd expect any other player to do.

I'm glad he's getting the support of the NFL community because it signals how much respect he gets, but it doesn't change what he did.
    Agreed 100%

Ad the player you're thinking of was Brandon Merriweather and his launching hit on Heap a few years back. He was on the asking but now I believe he's applying for jobs at Subway.

My only issues here is I'd like to see a list of the three hits. Maybe it's out there, but I have it seen it yet. If he did indeed have three hits similar to this, then yeah, it's consistent with suspensions like Harrison received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My only issues here is I'd like to see a list of the three hits. Maybe it's out there, but I have it seen it yet. If he did indeed have three hits similar to this, then yeah, it's consistent with suspensions like Harrison received.
    CSN last night showed them. The last 2 are the more violent of the hits. The first one, against Brees, he came in and hit him with his arms outstretched. He hit him in the upper body / in the head, so you can definitely see why the flag was thrown, and will be thrown every time, but it was in no ways malicious, or even a hard hit. Brees popped right back up (compare that to what Harrison did to McCoy). Very inconsistent with the intent of the suspension rule and the actual plays that occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed 100%

Ad the player you're thinking of was Brandon Merriweather and his launching hit on Heap a few years back. He was on the asking but now I believe he's applying for jobs at Subway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hit on Drew Brees from 2010 Home Game
    Hit on Deion Branch from this year Home Pats game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFGYe-tsC8 (45 second mark)
    Hit on Emmanuel Sanders Sunday

The fact that they're using a hit from 2 years ago is what bothers me the most.