Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    They are concerned about head injuries and the massive negative health implications that are associated with them later in players' lives. Player safety isn't about preventing all injuries. Just career and life altering ones.
    The NFL just wants to look like it cares.

Blog Entries

So, now the question is who is going to start at FS? They just put Christian Thompson on IR.

Probably Ihedigbo?

Not real crazy about that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, now the question is who is going to start at FS? They just put Christian Thompson on IR.

Probably Ihedigbo?

I'm thinking Ihedigbo or Considine. I really don't think it's a big hit. We don't need any crazy plays. We just need them to play safety and tackle, and I think we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    and we all know that broken ribs can't possibly be a life altering injury...right Ben?
    Ben's injury is 1. An incredibly rare complication associated with dislocated ribs, and 2. Not in any way shape or form permanently disabling in the same way Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, strokes, suicidal depression, or premature DEATH are. (Ya know, those side effects of repeated concussions?) Honestly I can't tell if this post was a weak attempt at "gotcha" arguing or just a sign that you literally don't understand how dangerous research is showing head injuries to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The NFL just wants to look like it cares.
    You're basing that on.....?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Probably Ihedigbo?

I'll be surprised if it's not Considine. He's the listed back up. Now, depending on his hammy, I might be inclined to let Chris Johnson play centerfield for us. He's got the size to tackle and the speed to cover a lot of ground.

OJ Atogwe is an FA and might be worth a rental. Depends on whether they think Rivers can get the ball down the field or not.
    Last edited by goodandfast; 11-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Ihedigbo took Reed's snaps when Reed went down in Oakland. I expect to see him in San Diego.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

You're basing that on.....?
    It's just my opinion. Suspending Reed for 1 game or any other player will not stop helmet-helmet hits from happening. They can't regulate those kind of hits out of the game because not all of them happen on purpose. From what I saw on that Reed hit, Sanders ducked his head down to protect himself from the hit, and Reed was aiming for Sanders' torso not his head. They can hand out all the fines and suspensions they want, but it's not going to change the fact that helmet-helmet hits will continue to happen even if they aren't on purpose.

We probably shouldn't have suspended Suh for stomping on that guy either because you can't regulate fights out of the game. They happen. No way to stop them all so why bother punishing it? Also speeding tickets make no sense. They haven't stopped speeding!

No punishment will deter 100% of the infraction it is a reaction to, doesn't mean the punishment should go away.

Blog Entries

We probably shouldn't have suspended Suh for stomping on that guy either because you can't regulate fights out of the game. They happen. No way to stop them all so why bother punishing it? Also speeding tickets make no sense. They haven't stopped speeding!

No punishment will deter 100% of the infraction it is a reaction to, doesn't mean the punishment should go away.
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be punishments, but the punishments are not going to change physics. If you have a receiver running full speed to catch a ball or running with a ball and a defensive back running full speed to tackle the receiver, helmet - helmet hits are going to happen inadvertently. If the NFL is going to suspend Reed, they should be suspending others as well for the same criteria.

They have. Joe Mays and James Harrison have both been suspended for illegal hits in the last two years.

Blog Entries

I still dont think Reed launched with his helmet. Maybe im miss remembering but im pretty sure Sanders jumped up and fell towards reed and when he was coming down hit helmet to helmet with reed. Seemed more like Reed was just there not really trying to lay the dude out. incidental helmet to helmet is why they wear the damn things. if you could stop it all the time theyd go back to leather caps.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 11-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    -JAB

It was great to see the ESPN Countdown crew come on last night and universally support Reed. They expressed a lot of what has been said here about how DBs need to tackle and how Ed Reed is not a dirty player and the wrong guy to make an example of. Tom Jackson even said that if this is the way it's going to be, there'd better be a lot of other suspensions coming!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap