Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed suspended 1 game

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    All fines go to charity's I think. I remember someone saying that about Harrison.
    Ok, I guess then I am asking whether the game check is actually confiscated as a "fine?" In other words, the Ravens hand the league (who hands to charity) a check for $423k? Or do the Ravens pay Ed as usual and the league asks Ed for a check for $423k?

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Goodell and the NFL are just mad that the Ravens beat their team on national TV.
    That's what my tinfoil hat says as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Ok, I guess then I am asking whether the game check is actually confiscated as a "fine?" In other words, the Ravens hand the league (who hands to charity) a check for $423k? Or do the Ravens pay Ed as usual and the league asks Ed for a check for $423k?
    well I'm assuming it has to come from ed, rather than he ravens. Ie he gets paid it then hands it over

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't think the league recognized Clark's hit on Cruz this year as a violation, despite it being called a penalty on the field. He was not fined for it, and I think the league's stance is effectively that it should not have been called (and therefore shouldn't count towards the 3 in 3 years).

That said, my impression is that Clark has had like 5-6 of these kinds of hits over the last 3 years, but maybe I am wrong about that.
    Please don't try to theorize or create a formula for why Ed Reed is being suspended and Ryan Clark hasn't been. It's not possible b/c the NFL is essentially making **** up.

The issue here is not a safety issue. Clearly the NFL is justified in Suspending players who have repeatedly hit other players helmet to helmet.

The issue is that there is no transparency, clarity, or objective measurements to gauge the suspension process. The NBA has it...10 Technicals or whatever is and you are suspended. Soccer has it...Get a Red Card or So many Yellow Cards and you get suspended.

But in the NFL, Roger Goddell, Ray Anderson, or whoever you want to personify the NFL as, gets to make it up as they go. It destroys the credibility of the disciplinary process, and even the integrity of the game during a playoff stretch, when it seems like the decision-makers just make things up and allow fans to make conspiracy theories.

I understand suspending guys for this type of thing, but create a framework first and let players actually know about it first.

Blog Entries

Who is going to start for him? Isn't C. Thompson on IR?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    well I'm assuming it has to come from ed, rather than he ravens. Ie he gets paid it then hands it over
    I imagine that the league just garnishes it, but yeah, it's Ed's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Please don't try to theorize or create a formula for why Ed Reed is being suspended and Ryan Clark hasn't been. It's not possible b/c the NFL is essentially making **** up.

The issue here is not a safety issue. Clearly the NFL is justified in Suspending players who have repeatedly hit other players helmet to helmet.

The issue is that there is no transparency, clarity, or objective measurements to gauge the suspension process. The NBA has it...10 Technicals or whatever is and you are suspended. Soccer has it...Get a Red Card or So many Yellow Cards and you get suspended.

But in the NFL, Roger Goddell, Ray Anderson, or whoever you want to personify the NFL as, gets to make it up as they go. It destroys the credibility of the disciplinary process, and even the integrity of the game during a playoff stretch, when it seems like the decision-makers just make things up and allow fans to make conspiracy theories.

I understand suspending guys for this type of thing, but create a framework first and let players actually know about it first.
    this. There needs to be a formula, a clear cut law laid out. You can't pick and choose.

This sucks...but trying to look at it optimistically, let's say Ihedigbo holds it down and we get a W on the west coast. Ed could possibly stay home and rest that old body of his and get it ready for Ravens vs. Steelers II: Picks a' Plenty starring Charlie Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Basically just Ed Reed being a thug. He either can't or won't tackle anymore and is more of a liability out there than an asset. This is actually doing the Ravens a favor - forcing the team to put a better athelete on the field for the Chargers game at least.
    I'm no big fan of Reed's dwindling skillset, but calling him a "thug" is a joke. He's just scared of injuring himself, so he doesn't ever go low where he can get banged in the head/shoulder area buy a runner's legs (unless he dives even lower, and blindly throws his back at their feet)- but he just flat out doesn't want to tackle, not due to any sort of thug-ness like Harrison.

BTW- I think we need Reed more against San Diego rather than Charlie Batch- so if I were the Ravens, i would appeal the suspension this week, and then just accept it next week when it's Steeler week at home. We need him more against Rivers on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Considine and some guy named Anthony Levine are the other safeties on the roster besides Ihedigbo and Pollard. Imagine it will be Considine considering Levine's probably been in Baltimore 5 minutes...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    damn good question. Ihedigbo or Considine? yikes

Blog Entries

I have no problem with the NFL suspending players for repeated illegal hits but there needs to be a defined process for it. If they want to make it so if you accumulate three helmet to helmet hits over a three year period, you get suspended, that's fine. That's a defined process that leaves nothing to interpretation.

You can't say each is a case by case basis. What are you factoring in, then? Are you taking into account that the hit might not have been illegal had the receiver not ducked or gone a certain way? Are you taking into account malicious intent? Past history? It becomes a joke at that point because they can basically pick and choose who they want to suspend or let off the hook.

I'm not going to say there is bias against the Ravens here, I just don't see how they can suspend Reed. I don't know what facts and circumstances they are looking at that leads them to do this and would like to know...will never happen, of course.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52