Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen Play

Screen Play

I havent seen a single screen-play to ray rice all season.

Correct me if Im wrong?

Re: Screen Play

You are correct. We have seen dumpoffs to the backs, but not real screens. Screens have become less and less effective in the NFL as team speed has increased, but they are extremely effective against a fast pass rush that need to be slowed down. Most teams don't run it like its designed. Flacco needs the screen/dumpoff alternative as he still locks onto one guy and seems determined to throw that way, know matter how well covered.

iggyman555 Guest

stoolers has a nice screen pass last night i tink to dwyer? they were inside their own 20

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    I havent seen a single screen-play to ray rice all season.

Correct me if Im wrong?
    You're wrong.

We ran a screen play to Rice on the first play of the two minute drive before halftime of the Raiders game.

It's hard to run screens to Rice because there is usually a linebacker spying him on every play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    You're wrong.

We ran a screen play to Rice on the first play of the two minute drive before halftime of the Raiders game.

It's hard to run screens to Rice because there is usually a linebacker spying him on every play.
    That is shit. It is about the weak ass line, OL coach, and Cam. The 49ers mad a living with not only slats to Jerry Rice, but to Rodger Craig, hell even Ricky Watters. Defenses knew it was coming, but they executed it.

Air Coryell is a shit offense for that play. West Coast - Pro Sets are what utilize it.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 11-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    That is shit. It is about the weak ass line, OL coach, and Cam. The 49ers mad a living with not only slats to Jerry Rice, but to Rodger Craig, hell even Ricky Watters. Defenses knew it was coming, but the executed it.

Air Coryell is a shit offense for that play. West Coast - Pro Sets are what utilize it.
    He didn't say slants. He said screens. Screens are slow developing plays that require a little bit of deception. The defense has to believe you are throwing it down field. If a player has the running back in man coverage it is very hard to run a RB screen. Do you remember last night when the Steelers tried to run a screen and Pollard had Dwyer in man coverage? Pollard was on his hip pocket and Leftwich had to throw it in the dirt. That would be the result very often for us, especially with the special attention that Ray Rice receives from opposing defenses.

Slants are a completely different story and I would agree that the offense could stand to use more slants and shallow crosses, especially to get Torrey the ball.

Blog Entries

He didn't say slants. He said screens. Screens are slow developing plays that require a little bit of deception. The defense has to believe you are throwing it down field. If a player has the running back in man coverage it is very hard to run a RB screen. Do you remember last night when the Steelers tried to run a screen and Pollard had Dwyer in man coverage? Pollard was on his hip pocket and Leftwich had to throw it in the dirt. That would be the result very often for us, especially with the special attention that Ray Rice receives from opposing defenses.

Slants are a completely different story and I would agree that the offense could stand to use more slants and shallow crosses, especially to get Torrey the ball.
    Seriously what part if the words "NOT ONLY" do you not understand?

Let me re-iterate, because I was using a cell, slants to Jerry Rice and screens to Rodger Craig. I was trying to say that is was screens that helped the 49er offense immensely.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 11-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Seriously what part if the words "NOT ONLY" do you not understand?

Let me re-iterate, because I was using a cell, slants to Jerry Rice and screens to Rodger Craig. I was trying to say that is was screens that helped the 49er offense immensely.
    I'm honestly trying to comprehend what you're saying but I have no idea? When did you ever say the words "NOT ONLY" and what is the phrase referring to?

The dude says we haven't a run a screen and asks if he is correct. He is incorrect. I go into detail about why there are a lack of screens to Rice in the offense.

Maybe they would work even if they were called more often. Perhaps Cam is outsmarting himself which he has been known to do. But there is definitely truth to what I was saying.

About your 49er comparison: We can't compare Cam to Bill Walsh. Everyone here knows Cam isn't Walsh and after four years of watching his offenses it would be asking for disappointment to hold him to that standard. Do I wish Cam was better? Hell yeah. But he is what he is. It also helps when you have arguably the greatest QB of all time throwing to arguably the best player of all time.

I'm honestly trying to comprehend what you're saying but I have no idea? When did you ever say the words "NOT ONLY" and what is the phrase referring to?

The dude says we haven't a run a screen and asks if he is correct. He is incorrect. I go into detail about why there are a lack of screens to Rice in the offense.

Maybe they would work even if they were called more often. Perhaps Cam is outsmarting himself which he has been known to do. But there is definitely truth to what I was saying.

About your 49er comparison: We can't compare Cam to Bill Walsh. Everyone here knows Cam isn't Walsh and after four years of watching his offenses it would be asking for disappointment to hold him to that standard. Do I wish Cam was better? Hell yeah. But he is what he is. It also helps when you have arguably the greatest QB of all time throwing to arguably the best player of all time.
    It also helps when the OC molds the system to its players. NOT MOLD PLAYERS TO THE SYSTEM!!!

Players Play
    Coaches Coach
    Fans Cheer, etc etc
    CAM does what he did 30 years ago. SUCK as much now as then

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Not only were the 49ers famous for making slants to Jerry Rice but they were incredible at running screens. We need to run more screens... Oi!

Not only were the 49ers famous for making slants to Jerry Rice but they were incredible at running screens. We need to run more screens... Oi!
    And over the middle SHORT crossing patterns... YAC was crazy when Rice, Craig, or Taylor were already up to speed.

Blog Entries

I don't know why we don't run more skinny posts and hit Torrey in stride. Let him use his speed to get yac. Behind the linebackers and in front of the safety. If the safety doesn't take the correct angle it's going for 6 every time. Much like what te Steelers do with Wallace or the Igles do with Jackson, just 2 examples that you see all the time.