Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT - Maryland leaves ACC

Quote Originally Posted by btownraven View Post
    And Maryland will no longer have to play second-fiddle to North Carolina and Duke.
    No just Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

As a Maryland alum, I am 100% against this move. It hurts us in basketball AND football. The only thing to look forward to is a possible rivalry with Penn State but we were going to get something like that with Pitt anyway which would be as good for Terps/Ravens fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBrawla View Post
    No just Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

As a Maryland alum, I am 100% against this move. It hurts us in basketball AND football. The only thing to look forward to is a possible rivalry with Penn State but we were going to get something like that with Pitt anyway which would be as good for Terps/Ravens fans.

As a MD alum you should be all for this move.

I am chuckling at all the comments in the media and Twitter about "How this is just all about the money." And "There is no tradition in college athletics anymore."

2 questions:

1. How much longer did MD have to be the lowest in dollars-per-athlete spent?
    2. How many more sports was MD going to have to cut?

Just because it is done for the money doesn't automatically mean it is a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple nurple View Post
    This is gonna kill lacrosse for umd. I believe the big ten doesn't even acknowledge it as a sport.
    Adding UMD and Rutgers puts the B1G one lacrosse team shy of sponsorship for the sport. It's a pretty safe bet another school will add it by 2014. Either way, UMD can go independent in the sport for the time being and still be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I heard MD was having money problems for their sports programs. Anyone have info on that?
    Alright is the scoop. Former AD Debbie Yow, dug the athletic programs into a hole. The funding of non- varsity sports, the Tyser Tower expansion with the suite. Which still remain half vacant and the debacle with Ralph Freidgen and James Franklin. This is a smart move considering the ACC does not generate much revenue. The Big 10 generate $264 million in revenue last year. That is about $24 million per school. Lacrosse will not die at Maryland. There is too much of a tradition with both lacrosse teams. It only means no ACC tournament. We still would have to compete with Penn State and Ohio State in lacrosse. Northwestern for the womens. The football program will take forever to get up to speed in the Big 10, all other sports will run the Big 10.
    Lovin me some section 543

Blog Entries

It's going to allow them to put more money into the football and basketball programs. How is this seen as a bad thing? Yea wow no more Duke and UNC basketball rivalry, but so what? They'll start anew with the likes of Michigan and Indiana. And hey they have PennState so now another Pennsylvania football team we can hate :).

Bottom line, as football fans, it'll put UMDmore on the map and attract better players, which could in turn mean better prospects for the Ravens. Just thinking outsie the box here.

Blog Entries

And that is a good point, football we're gonna have to step up, everywhere else were gonna run the show.

Means better recruiting in football, also Fick the ACC. Tired of the Carolina refs in hoops. It's a great move. Always hated the ACC and it's bias to the Carolina schools. This is a great day. Maryland will make tons more money in the Big Ten anyway. Plus, ACC bb attendance all over the league has declined bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    Man I'm gonna miss ACC basketball games.
    :word

I love the move on all levels.

1. MD is broke. The ACC TV deal sucks. This move makes sense and needed to be made strictly for financial reasons but I like it for other reasons too.

2. This notion that tradition is being destroyed is about a decade too late. When VT/BC/Miam came in it was supposed to be a football boom and it's completely backfired while also watering down hoops. The idea that ACC hoops is so great compared to the Big 10 is laughable and myopic. I've been bored with ACC hoops for years now.

3. Pitt and Syracuse are coming in and suddenly Pitt is a rival? Blah.

4. The Big 10 is MUCH more stable than the ACC. FSU has been trying to bolt the ACC for a few years now and will eventually go. It's a good pre emptive move for MD.

5. The number of interesting hoops opponents goes from 2 or 3 to 6. The number of interesting football opponents goes from 4 to like 9 or 10. . The idea of going to Ann Arbor, Madison, and a bunch of other destinations in the Big 10 sounds great to me. .

The "true" ACC has been gone for awhile now.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    :word
    ACC basketball has been pretty bad for about like 9 years now. It used to be you couldnt get a seat to any game in any arena in the ACC, now the stands are half full. ACC basketball died in supremacy about 9 years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.
    It won't do shit as long as Randy Edsall is coach. I still laugh at the moron University that bought out a great coach for 2 million for that fucking chump. Maryland will never win SHIT under that garbage man of a coach. Actually that is an insult to garbage men.