Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OT - Maryland leaves ACC

Maryland has left the ACC for the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...en-sources-say
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: OT - Maryland leaves ACC

huge news for the University.

Blog Entries

I heard MD was having money problems for their sports programs. Anyone have info on that?

This is gonna kill lacrosse for umd. I believe the big ten doesn't even acknowledge it as a sport.

Man I'm gonna miss ACC basketball games.

Great. No more Duke and North Carolina on the schedule...smh...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    Man I'm gonna miss ACC basketball games.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Purple nurple View Post
    This is gonna kill lacrosse for umd. I believe the big ten doesn't even acknowledge it as a sport.
    As a MD Alumnus, this in particular saddens me; LAX and Wrestling will be killed. Unbelievable to me that UMD hasn't won a National lacrosse title since 1976.

Basketball won't be the same and I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    As a MD Alumnus, this in particular saddens me; LAX and Wrestling will be killed. Unbelievable to me that UMD hasn't won a National lacrosse title since 1976.
    Not sure about lacrosse...I get the sense that it is a growing national sport and the BIG 10 has strong womens' teams...the Terps womens team should fit right in. U of MD may be what they need to get the mens' programs going? And I thought wrestling was huge in the BIG 10? U of MD should fit right in there, too.

Basketball won't be the same and I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.
    As if the football program was competing now? And they are going from a basketball conference dominated by (and in many cases set-up towards) UNC and Duke to a much more balanced conference that has put many more teams than the ACC into the NCAA tourney in the past few years.

Losing the tradition of the ACC will be tough, but I don't see this as necessarily a bad move by the University at all.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 11-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.
    It won't do shit as long as Randy Edsall is coach. I still laugh at the moron University that bought out a great coach for 2 million for that fucking chump. Maryland will never win SHIT under that garbage man of a coach. Actually that is an insult to garbage men.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple nurple View Post
    Adding UMD and Rutgers puts the B1G one lacrosse team shy of sponsorship for the sport. It's a pretty safe bet another school will add it by 2014. Either way, UMD can go independent in the sport for the time being and still be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I heard MD was having money problems for their sports programs. Anyone have info on that?
    Alright is the scoop. Former AD Debbie Yow, dug the athletic programs into a hole. The funding of non- varsity sports, the Tyser Tower expansion with the suite. Which still remain half vacant and the debacle with Ralph Freidgen and James Franklin. This is a smart move considering the ACC does not generate much revenue. The Big 10 generate $264 million in revenue last year. That is about $24 million per school. Lacrosse will not die at Maryland. There is too much of a tradition with both lacrosse teams. It only means no ACC tournament. We still would have to compete with Penn State and Ohio State in lacrosse. Northwestern for the womens. The football program will take forever to get up to speed in the Big 10, all other sports will run the Big 10.
    Lovin me some section 543