Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: "100% Completion or take a sack..." - ???

He for sure was only looking for a wide open WR, if none take the sack. But, on 3rd and 2, I would have designed a run play, better odds less risk.

Also agree- the formation was plain DUMB- at least make them think that you *might* run. I also agree, that *if* we are going to throw, the rollout is the best option to either: A) Eat it and save the clock B) run it for a 1st down C) throw to a wide open receiver.

That being said- the one play that I've NEVER seen stopped on short yardage is the play where you fake a dive to the right (the running back takes one false step that direction which sucks down the DE), and then do the pitch in the complete opposite direction around the left end. We've run that play at least 4 times in must-have yardage situations, and I've NEVER seen it stopped, and that would have been the perfect play call there.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post

That being said- the one play that I've NEVER seen stopped on short yardage is the play where you fake a dive to the right (the running back takes one false step that direction which sucks down the DE), and then do the pitch in the complete opposite direction. We've run that play at least 4 times in must have yardage situations, and I've NEVER seen it stopped, and that would have been the perfect play call there.

Yes. Exactly what I said. The counter-toss. We broke it out at home this year once on a short yardage play and got it easily (can't remember if it was vs Cincy or Cleveland). We used to break it out occasionally with Jamal way back when as well.

It is the perfect call for aggressive run defenses. And we run it about once a season instead of once per game. Even if the DE/OLB doesn't quite fully bite, you still have your RB out in space running laterally vs. one defender. And if your RB is quick, he can just choose when to turn it up and be virtually assured of getting two yards. Even if tackled, the tackle is unlikely to be one that stops the RB from spinning/falling forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    This relates to my problem with our coach. Play not to lose as we have in the past. Get a 1st down the game is over. Put in a jumbo package, Leach and Pierce and pound to the right. No, we get cute and lazy.
    We haven't had great success with our jumbo package this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I heard on local Radio this morning that that was a comment Harbaugh made after the game regarding the 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes left. He said the call was a pass and if Joe couldn't make a sure completion, he was to take a sack. I agree with the concept of no matter what, "Do Not Stop the Clock!"... But what the hell? Why do you a call a play that only has a 50% chance of success. If you need to gain 2 yards and need to keep the clock moving, just run the freaking ball.... If you have to call a pass play.. call a bootleg or something that at least puts the QB in position to try and run for a first down.

That is just a BS Stupid Shit call.
    The problem is you should never have done out of the shotgun formation. If you are going to throw in that situation you have to do it from the I formation and a fake handoff. That might actually have worked. Using the shotgun simply makes no sense.

I thought it was a horrible call. Whats funny is everyone saw it coming. Just read the game thread. Cam is so dead set against doing something conventional that you know what he is going to do before he does it. 3 and 14? Screen pass! 3 and 2 when you need to run out the clock? Shotgun!

Handing the ball back to the opposing team without even trying? Come on, I know it was Leftwich and he is totally incompetent, but you are nursing a 3 point lead. A lead which was garnered off a miracle punt return. Certainly nothing the offense did last night was deserving of a W.

It won't be pretty when the Ravens go back to Houston in the playoffs. Hopefully they can eek out enough of these no scoring no trying wins to get a bye so they don't get bounced on wild card weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    They're not going to catch Pitt napping when they line up in the shotgun!!! Should have lined up in running formation even if pass or sack was the call!
    Draw play?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it makes sense, an incompletion stops the clock. What baffled me is Tomlin taking that time out
    Wouldn't a running play have the same effect?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    We haven't had great success with our jumbo package this year.
    Please remind me when we have used the unbalanced line or stuck in an extra lineman or even Ngata this year, because I sure as hell don't remember seeing it since McGahee and Le'ron McClain were here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Please remind me when we have used the unbalanced line or stuck in an extra lineman or even Ngata this year, because I sure as hell don't remember seeing it since McGahee and Le'ron McClain were here.
    Here's one example...
    http://russellstreetreport.com/heres...and-1-attempt/

According to FilmStudy, Jah Reid came in as an extra linemen for 8 plays at Cleveland. McKinnie came in as an extra linemen for four plays against Dallas, 2 plays in the home game against Cleveland, 1 play (above) against NE, 2 plays against Philly, and once against Cincy.

I'm all for bringing in some big bodies and letting Rice try to plow his way for a yard or two but we haven't had much success running in short yardage situations this year. I don't think we've had success throwing it either though.

Anyone else think a screen play (from a formation other than the shotgun) could have been called and might have worked in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Wouldn't a running play have the same effect?
    It was after the 2 minute warning. I think the design here was that the clock had already stopped. If you call a run, the play is over quicker, maybe you are at 1:20/1:25. Whereas with the sack Flacco was able to run the clock down to 1:12 before Baltimore called the time out before the punt.

It seemed to me, just my opinion of course, that this was all about maximum time off the clock. Yes, a run keeps the clock moving too, but gives the Steelers maybe up to 10 extra seconds on the clock.