Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"100% Completion or take a sack..." - ???

I heard on local Radio this morning that that was a comment Harbaugh made after the game regarding the 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes left. He said the call was a pass and if Joe couldn't make a sure completion, he was to take a sack. I agree with the concept of no matter what, "Do Not Stop the Clock!"... But what the hell? Why do you a call a play that only has a 50% chance of success. If you need to gain 2 yards and need to keep the clock moving, just run the freaking ball.... If you have to call a pass play.. call a bootleg or something that at least puts the QB in position to try and run for a first down.

That is just a BS Stupid Shit call.

Re: "100% Completion or take a sack..." - ???

Did you watch us "run the freaking ball" on 3rd and a foot on the previous possession?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Did you watch us "run the freaking ball" on 3rd and a foot on the previous possession?
    Yes I did... But if your priority is to keep the clock rolling, put the ball in a RBs hands. Then you are 100% assured to keep the clock rolling, better chance of picking up 2 yards than the so called "Completion or Sack" play call. There is also less chance of a fumble. We know the Steelers history with a hit and fumble.

I figured I missed something, because I thought the same thing. How is a run play any different than a sack (other than it protects the QB) in that situation? I guess we know the answer considering how often we see the team needing 1-2 yards and Joe launching it downfield into double coverage instead of just handing it off to one of the best RBs in the league running behind the best FB in the league.

Plus the decision is not simply run vs pass. There are many kinds of run plays and pass plays. Only part of the reason we were getting stuffed on short yardage runs was our O-line vs. the Steelers front. The other part was that their defense had the luxury of knowing where we were going to run it.

I would have loved the counter-toss play that we seem to dust off and use once every 2 years vs. once or twice every game like we should. It has deception, which will especially work vs. over-aggressive run defenses. It puts the RB in space, so if the end defender is not fooled, you still have a chance to get a mere 2 yards. And of course that play, or any run play, does not require our QB to get hit in the ribs and risk injury or a fumble.

Blog Entries

Yeah no kidding. They had a better chance at getting the first by passing the ball. If they had run it, they would have gotten the exact same result that taking the sack yielded. By passing there is the chance that you catch Pitt napping and get an easy 1st down that ices the game. I had no faith that they could have picked up those two yards on the ground unless Joe scrambled out of a pass. (Which I actually felt he had some room to do. I wish he would have tucked the ball and gave it a whirl but we won so I don't care. But if the Ravens keep going down to the wire my life expectancy will be shortened by 5 years.

I don't know what I would have done there, but neither call is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I don't know what I would have done there, but neither call is a no brainer.
    Well, that may be true. I just feel that the way things were going and the way the pocket was starting to collapse in the 4th Qtr and the history of the Steelers getting to Joe, that a better call was in order.

I would have been happy to see Pierce in there as a bigger body hitting the hole running north and south. Hell, even getting Joe out of the pocket so he had a run/throw/slide option would have been more dynamic than that debacle of a play.

So we're just going to ignore that the team admitted that Joe made this playcall after lobbying to Harbs and Cam to allow it? Joe figured he could get a pass out to the flats or at worst have exactly what happened happen.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

This relates to my problem with our coach. Play not to lose as we have in the past. Get a 1st down the game is over. Put in a jumbo package, Leach and Pierce and pound to the right. No, we get cute and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Yeah no kidding. They had a better chance at getting the first by passing the ball. If they had run it, they would have gotten the exact same result that taking the sack yielded. By passing there is the chance that you catch Pitt napping and get an easy 1st down that ices the game. I had no faith that they could have picked up those two yards on the ground unless Joe scrambled out of a pass. (Which I actually felt he had some room to do. I wish he would have tucked the ball and gave it a whirl but we won so I don't care. But if the Ravens keep going down to the wire my life expectancy will be shortened by 5 years.
    Everything about this post is the gospel truth and applies to me, as well.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The problem with this logic is two fold. First, last time I checked Pittsburgh has a very good defense. Catching them napping is not impossible, but improbable in that situation. They know we couldn't run the ball, and like another poster pointed out we came out in a passing formation. Second, the Steelers were not stacking the box much of the night. They were getting good pressure with only 5 pass rushers and were shutting down our run without safety help. A pass there is just too risky, and the more I think about the "100% completion or a take sack" comment the less faith I have in this coaching staff.