Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: "100% Completion or take a sack..." - ???

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    It was after the 2 minute warning. I think the design here was that the clock had already stopped. If you call a run, the play is over quicker, maybe you are at 1:20/1:25. Whereas with the sack Flacco was able to run the clock down to 1:12 before Baltimore called the time out before the punt.

It seemed to me, just my opinion of course, that this was all about maximum time off the clock. Yes, a run keeps the clock moving too, but gives the Steelers maybe up to 10 extra seconds on the clock.
    I would call that playing NOT to WIN.

1st down the game is OVER. Not a chance of some miracle play. Or like Tebow did to them in the playoffs. This team still LACKS the KILLER instinct. You think Billacheat and Skirt Brady would have even thought of something that fing stupid?

Hell John's Brother Jim was prolly shacking his head the same a Joe was in the huddle.

I think the reason Joe never signed this year is because CAM is still here. Now he will have the power to say. CAM goes I will sign. CAM stays FU.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Ravens couldn't run to save their lives, so I have no problem with calling a pass. BUT NOT OUT THE SHOTGUN. At least line up in the I-Form or Jumbo and do a play action so the Steelers would have to think about what was going to happen. smh
    Agree with this completely. The way we were running I don't disagree with calling a pass play. I think if we weren't in shotgun formation, the Steelers would have gone all out to stop the expected run and play action would likely have given Joe an easy completion and game over.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    It was after the 2 minute warning. I think the design here was that the clock had already stopped. If you call a run, the play is over quicker, maybe you are at 1:20/1:25. Whereas with the sack Flacco was able to run the clock down to 1:12 before Baltimore called the time out before the punt.

It seemed to me, just my opinion of course, that this was all about maximum time off the clock. Yes, a run keeps the clock moving too, but gives the Steelers maybe up to 10 extra seconds on the clock.
    This is the first semi-logical defense of that play call I've seen so far.

Still....

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    I would call that playing NOT to WIN.

1st down the game is OVER. Not a chance of some miracle play. Or like Tebow did to them in the playoffs. This team still LACKS the KILLER instinct. You think Billacheat and Skirt Brady would have even thought of something that fing stupid?

Hell John's Brother Jim was prolly shacking his head the same a Joe was in the huddle.

I think the reason Joe never signed this year is because CAM is still here. Now he will have the power to say. CAM goes I will sign. CAM stays FU.
    Belichick and Brady wouldn't have thought twice about throwing it.

And Joe lobbied for the play. He wanted a pass play and felt that Rice would be open in the flat.

Funny thing is, had they run it and failed, many would be complaining that they hadn't been successful running all night and would say that they lacked the balls and KILLER instinct to throw it.

Personally, I would have run it, but if Joe is ever to become elite, he got to be able to make pays in that scenario. Also, as others have said, if you are going to throw there, I would have greatly preferred play action from under center.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Just decided to look into our third or fourth downs with <= 2 yards to go situations, and here's what I found:

Flacco has a 0.0 QB Rating on 12 such downs. 3 / 11 for 7 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Sack. Only 2 first downs. That means 16.7% success rate.

On the other hand, with run plays, we have 18 attempts for 47 yards, 3 TD, 0 Fumbles. 12 first downs. That's a 66.7% success rate.

Remind me again why we ever pass in those situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Yes. Exactly what I said. The counter-toss. We broke it out at home this year once on a short yardage play and got it easily (can't remember if it was vs Cincy or Cleveland). We used to break it out occasionally with Jamal way back when as well.

It is the perfect call for aggressive run defenses. And we run it about once a season instead of once per game. Even if the DE/OLB doesn't quite fully bite, you still have your RB out in space running laterally vs. one defender. And if your RB is quick, he can just choose when to turn it up and be virtually assured of getting two yards. Even if tackled, the tackle is unlikely to be one that stops the RB from spinning/falling forward.
    I think we used it against the 49ers last year too.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post

That's similar to what I've said that a few times this year and I still believe that's a possibility. If not planned it may still be a reality...and Joe and his agent has a lot of leverage to apply here if they want to since Stevie has already crowned Joe as the franchise.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Yeah no kidding.. By passing there is the chance that you catch Pitt napping and get an easy 1st down that ices the game.
    Good theory, except that Flacco was in the shotgun, which I'm sure negated most of the element of surprise.

The reason that Joe hasn't re-signed yet is because he thinks he's worth more than what the Ravens are offering. It's about money, it has nothing to do with Cam.

Cam and Joe are far more on the same page now that they have taken the training wheels off and are letting Joe throw more. They've made a concerted effort to tailor the offense to Joe now. In fact, if Flacco could throw the ball every down, he'd be even more happy.

The play in question is a perfect example of that. Joe wanted to throw, they let him.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-20-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: taylor-tailor
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Good theory, except that Flacco was in the shotgun, which I'm sure negated most of the element of surprise.
    Maybe could have ran a draw play there, that would have surprised everyone lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    The reason that Joe hasn't re-signed yet is because he thinks he's worth more than what the Ravens are offering. It's about money, it has nothing to do with Cam.

Cam and Joe are far more on the same page now that they have taken the training wheels off and are letting Joe throw more. They've made a concerted effort to taylor the offense to Joe now. In fact, if Flacco could throw the ball every down, he'd be even more happy.
    I would be inclined to agree with this, because it was Harbaugh who said that Flacco wanted to throw it on 3rd and 2, not Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Just decided to look into our third or fourth downs with <= 2 yards to go situations, and here's what I found:

Flacco has a 0.0 QB Rating on 12 such downs. 3 / 11 for 7 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Sack. Only 2 first downs. That means 16.7% success rate.

On the other hand, with run plays, we have 18 attempts for 47 yards, 3 TD, 0 Fumbles. 12 first downs. That's a 66.7% success rate.

Remind me again why we ever pass in those situations?

They are banking on the law of averages. They are just DUE for a good pass play!