Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: "100% Completion or take a sack..." - ???

It was a dumb call. Risky to tell Joe to take a sack when the Steelers could have easily forced a fumble.

Short yardage is this teams achilles heel. On 3rd and short we should let them know we are going to run it and then run it down their throats for a 3 yard gain. We just don't have that attitude however. It is sad we couldn't get a first down there to end the game.

Blog Entries

i was hoping theyd do a bootleg as well. as athletic as Joe is im surprised we dont do that more often. Teams dont really account for that as is, because hes always in the pocket.
    -JAB

Let's get the positive out... things worked out and we got a W - most important.

That said, I think the offense is run incompetently. I hate feeling this way. I love our Ravens and I bleed purple week after week.

Why did we call a play were we thought there was a decent chance of taking a sack? Do we want our quarterback to be potentially hurt like the rapist? With hurt ribs, a concussion? Against this defense? Against this team, who hates us, and are looking for not only a big hit but a hurtful one as well?

Why don't we run sweeps or as another poster said, a counter toss.

If we are going for a pass, why not do a roll out where Flacco could run and definitely be able to slide out of harms way?

WTF?

Ravens couldn't run to save their lives, so I have no problem with calling a pass. BUT NOT OUT THE SHOTGUN. At least line up in the I-Form or Jumbo and do a play action so the Steelers would have to think about what was going to happen. smh

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Ravens couldn't run to save their lives, so I have no problem with calling a pass. BUT NOT OUT THE SHOTGUN. At least line up in the I-Form or Jumbo and do a play action so the Steelers would have to think about what was going to happen. smh
    Agreed.

I've never understood why so many teams - and it's a lot of teams, good offensive teams included - go with empty backfield or shotgun on plays like that. At least give the appearance that you may have another option.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Yeah no kidding. They had a better chance at getting the first by passing the ball. If they had run it, they would have gotten the exact same result that taking the sack yielded. By passing there is the chance that you catch Pitt napping and get an easy 1st down that ices the game. I had no faith that they could have picked up those two yards on the ground unless Joe scrambled out of a pass. (Which I actually felt he had some room to do. I wish he would have tucked the ball and gave it a whirl but we won so I don't care. But if the Ravens keep going down to the wire my life expectancy will be shortened by 5 years.
    Everything about this post is the gospel truth and applies to me, as well.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Yeah no kidding. They had a better chance at getting the first by passing the ball. If they had run it, they would have gotten the exact same result that taking the sack yielded. By passing there is the chance that you catch Pitt napping and get an easy 1st down that ices the game. I had no faith that they could have picked up those two yards on the ground unless Joe scrambled out of a pass. (Which I actually felt he had some room to do. I wish he would have tucked the ball and gave it a whirl but we won so I don't care. But if the Ravens keep going down to the wire my life expectancy will be shortened by 5 years.
    The problem with this logic is two fold. First, last time I checked Pittsburgh has a very good defense. Catching them napping is not impossible, but improbable in that situation. They know we couldn't run the ball, and like another poster pointed out we came out in a passing formation. Second, the Steelers were not stacking the box much of the night. They were getting good pressure with only 5 pass rushers and were shutting down our run without safety help. A pass there is just too risky, and the more I think about the "100% completion or a take sack" comment the less faith I have in this coaching staff.

They're not going to catch Pitt napping when they line up in the shotgun!!! Should have lined up in running formation even if pass or sack was the call!

I wanted a stretch play, Rice to the edge.

Or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZu-5ia2pM

:)

But sure, I guess a sack will do...

Blog Entries

it makes sense, an incompletion stops the clock. What baffled me is Tomlin taking that time out

Blog Entries

I've been flipping through all of these threads about this play and it amazes me that some of you think that it was an OK play call. I did not take statistics, but even I know that a Pass play is way more risky than just lining up and running. The strectch run right was working a bit (even though we did not run it much for some reason, instead we continued to run into a brick wall) Go Jumbo with Leach hand the effing ball off and just maybe pick up the 1st.

Negatives;
    Pass: INC (stops clock), INT (very bad), Strip Sack (very bad)
    Run: Come up short (Clock keeps running), Chances of Fumble are there, but not as likely with the RB knowing to protect the ball,

So again as I did on the other thread, just some good ole basic stats
    Pass Negatives = 3
    Run Negatives = 1

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    They're not going to catch Pitt napping when they line up in the shotgun!!! Should have lined up in running formation even if pass or sack was the call!
    Ding ding ding. We have the correct answer. Lining up in the shotgun there is inexcusable, because it allows the defense to play the pass. Almost any other formation forces them to commit to stop the run (meaning the linebackers have to freeze for an instant to determine if it's a run or pass), allowing us to either a) run the ball, or b) pass the ball, or c) run play action.

Instead we lined up in shotgun, where the only threat of a run is a draw or Joe taking off. Both of which take time to develop, and allow the defense to more comfortably play the short quick pass. Strategically, the play we ran was a joke.