Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Time for some more perspective

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Right, you're not angry.
    Don't you think you're being a little unfair and judgmental here? It was simply a thread started by an OP who wanted to highlight the positives. It's okay to disagree with him but don't attack the messenger, just attack the message.

It's like a roller coaster ride. Some folks are enjoying the thrill of the ups and downs and twists and turns, and others are yelling, "We are going to die!!!".

To each his own....

Good thread however one of the reasons why there's concern is because the expectations we all have. Now I will admit some of the negative tones on this board goes way beyond rationaliztion. I'm personally happy with the win. It was huge. It's just that we know this offense on the road can easily be the same offense at home. If we could just see 3/4 of the efficient offense at home we see on the road then maybe there would far less bickering.

Back to perspective, I've had one more thought swimming around in my mind that I'd like to voice now, and that's about asterisks.

There are some who would like to say "the Ravens won but Roethlisberger was out" as if that somehow means something. I suppose if the totality of the game was measured by 60 minutes of playing time, perhaps that argument could be made. But the reality is far greater: there is planning, drafting, practice, and strategic decisions that do not happen in a vacuum. Also you would have to be an idiot to think injuries don't factor as well, and you have to plan for them too. Football is a game where all of this matters, and all of this goes into a win.

Sure you can say Ben is a great quarterback, but you also have to know he is as high risk as he is high reward. If you roll the dice with him you may very well lose. Ben's problem is that he's beat up, and I would be worried that he would not last a season, as we see here.

So here we have situation where the Ravens may not put Flacco out there to win the game big, but he sure didn't lose it. And he's still very healthy.

The Ravens manage their game so they can take some injuries to key players and still win. Would we win in Flacco went down? Probably not. But on the other hand the Ravens didn't put him out there for years, let him get clobbered, and then wonder why he's breaking down midseason now.

Ben injured and out is a result of decisions made and damage done weeks and years ago, and that has as much to do with this win as any play on the field last night.

Those who desire an asterisk can stick that pointy little mark right up their ass.

It was a good game. I was glad we escaped with the W.

There are two things that matter *far* more than anything else: (1) Winning and (2) staying healthy.

We've done a good job with (1) and a fair job with (2). Sure, we always want to win elegantly and we always want to win 55-10, but concerns like that are small compared to (1) and (2).

I thought we were clearly the better team yesterday. The score was close, but the better team won. Hopefully next week we will win again. Maybe even win pretty, but I'd be happy with the win.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    Back to perspective, I've had one more thought swimming around in my mind that I'd like to voice now, and that's about asterisks.

There are some who would like to say "the Ravens won but Roethlisberger was out" as if that somehow means something. I suppose if the totality of the game was measured by 60 minutes of playing time, perhaps that argument could be made. But the reality is far greater: there is planning, drafting, practice, and strategic decisions that do not happen in a vacuum. Also you would have to be an idiot to think injuries don't factor as well, and you have to plan for them too. Football is a game where all of this matters, and all of this goes into a win.

Sure you can say Ben is a great quarterback, but you also have to know he is as high risk as he is high reward. If you roll the dice with him you may very well lose. Ben's problem is that he's beat up, and I would be worried that he would not last a season, as we see here.

So here we have situation where the Ravens may not put Flacco out there to win the game big, but he sure didn't lose it. And he's still very healthy.

The Ravens manage their game so they can take some injuries to key players and still win. Would we win in Flacco went down? Probably not. But on the other hand the Ravens didn't put him out there for years, let him get clobbered, and then wonder why he's breaking down midseason now.

Ben injured and out is a result of decisions made and damage done weeks and years ago, and that has as much to do with this win as any play on the field last night.

Those who desire an asterisk can stick that pointy little mark right up their ass.
    I don't care about the asterisks in terms of taunting Steelers' fans. ;)

Nor do I view the win at less than 100% of a win.

But in terms of gauging our own performance in that win, it absolutely matters that Ben did not play. Why? Because the Steelers starting Leftwich all year, in my opinion, win like 6-7 games tops. In other words we barely beat an average-at-best team on the road last night. Can we do anything but play the team that is put in front of us? No, of course not. Is beating (barely, or otherwise) an average team on the road still an accomplishment? Yes, of course it is. But it isn't the same as beating a good team on the road, which would have been an even better, more-encouraging performance (like at Pittsburgh last year).

"[we're] a pissed off 8-2 because we've got to get better, and the only way to get better is to chase perfection."
    - Ray Rice

"We know we can play better"
    - Terrell Suggs

If the players aren't 100% satisfied with the team's performance why can't fans hold the same opinion? As Rice put it, you have to chase perfection and I think the criticisms against the team are about finding areas for improvement to mold a perfect team.

Personally, I'll take a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh and overall I'm happy with this team. Only two things disappointed me last night - the playcalling (there's a whole thread for that), and Rice's performance. He's performing worse than the average back against Pittsburgh and if it's simply a mismatch for him why not let Pierce get some more action?

My motto for this year has been "9-7 Giants". We've had the pretty regular seasons for a while now, but all that really matters is getting in. It's more a less a crapshoot once the playoffs start.

Delusional perspective! The Ravens will never get to the Superbowl with Cam Cameron calling the plays.

Blog Entries

A perspective would be that Pees has finally started to utilize the pieces on defense to the best of their ability, I like we jammed Wallace and Sanders at the line and let Pollard play at the LOS with help setting the edge andd then have in lurking the open field to lay the hammer on WRs. I like how he Reed (after getting caught cheating up) played disciplined the rest of the game. He's rotating in guys at their strength, with Kruger on passing downs, Upshaw on running downs. The special teams have been huge since the Dallas game, Jacoby is becoming a force on returns. Cam cannot keep calling these kinds of plays or else we will be sitting at home after our first home playoff game. 3 AND 2 you can't go shotgun, when you have Vontea Leach, Ray Rice and Benard Pierce. On 3 AND 1 you could use a QB sneak, bootlegs, slants, seam routes, some kinda creativity. You can't score 6 points on the road against teams in late December and January and expect to win games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Delusional perspective! The Ravens will never get to the Superbowl with Cam Cameron calling the plays.
    How long did you cry after they won the game? I know it just burns you up every time they win

iggyman555 Guest

i dont think the fans are mad we only won by 3 points...most people i spoke with are upset about the offense and particularity the questionable play calling. ill take the W any day tho

You really do need to seek immediate medical attention. I'm really flattered that you follow me so intently. I would have thought that those private photos of me that I sent you would have calmed you down. Clearly that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How long did you cry after they won the game? I know it just burns you up every time they win