Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Time for some more perspective

What most people are talking about is that the difference between our offense on the road vs. our offense at home is abnormally massive, too massive to be an anomalous. None of your data points do or can address this fact.

People are concerned, and I guarantee that "people" includes the team itself, because we have several tough road games coming up, where such sub-par performances could cost us a win, and because there is no guarantee we will get homefield throughout the playoffs.

Unfortunately, most people do think SB or bust, including the team. This is natural when you have consistent success every year. Implying that people cannot discuss the aspects of the team's performance that need to be improved in order to give us a good shot at winning a SB simply because there are other terrible teams out there who haven't sniffed a SB in years is nonsense.

I absolutely agree there are some semi-delusional naysayers and doom-and-gloomers, like the people that have been claiming we won't make the playoffs, etc, but they are few in number. Most people are extremely realistic in their opinions and discussions.

Moose, his thread and opinions are just as valid as the others.

You need to chill with the personal shots and stick to a respectful debate if you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    What most people are talking about is that the difference between our offense on the road vs. our offense at home is abnormally massive, too massive to be an anomalous. None of your data points do or can address this fact.

People are concerned, and I guarantee that "people" includes the team itself, because we have several tough road games coming up, where such sub-par performances could cost us a win, and because there is no guarantee we will get homefield throughout the playoffs.

Unfortunately, most people do think SB or bust, including the team. This is natural when you have consistent success every year. Implying that people cannot discuss the aspects of the team's performance that need to be improved in order to give us a good shot at winning a SB simply because there are other terrible teams out there who haven't sniffed a SB in years is nonsense.

I absolutely agree there are some semi-delusional naysayers and doom-and-gloomers, like the people that have been claiming we won't make the playoffs, etc, but they are few in number. Most people are extremely realistic in their opinions and discussions.
    Ironically I think our MASSIVE home field advantage is giving people an inflated sense of this team. We are NOT as good at home as we would be on a neutral field. I don't know why we're so dependent on the home crowd, but it's inescapably part of our identity now and people simply need to understand that. Instead of looking at the home performance as the norm and the road games as a failure, I view the home games as a moderate abberations above our typical ability, and the road games as moderate deviations below it.

To put it more simply, we're a B+ team. At home we're an A+ team and on the road we're a C team. People look at the A+ team and wonder where that C team is coming from instead of where that A+ team is coming from at home.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

We have an incredibly spoiled fan base...which overall is a good thing given that you can't be spoiled without the spoils (wins).

But boy does it make this a hard forum to read sometime. Prior to the Browns/Cowboys game, I was doing some web surfing and came across this thread on the Cowboys board:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallas...s.php?t=244772

I found some of the comments from the old-time Cowboys fans very interesting and they gave me a great perspective with regards to the Ravens. Read it yourself, but here were some of my favorites:

Having (figuratively) died after the first championship loss to the Packers, died the again next year after the Ice Bowl, and exasperated after the Browns killed us two years in a row, only to reach the edge of greatness in SB V (JBK comment: Sound familiar to anyone?), winning SB VI gave me a sense of relief more than anything else....
    ....we were the team everyone FEARED....think Baltimore Ravens or Green Bay Packers now. We were like a combination of that.
    Seeing the Cowboys win their first SB in 1971 was the ultimate for me! After years of losing then more years of coming so close (JBK: Sounds familiar, too, doesn't it?) it was incredibly sweet for us to FINALLY win it all!...For 20 consecutive seasons, from 1966-1985, we were ALWAYS contenders (JBK: Hmmm, what team is like that today?), we always had a good chance of winning it all. 18 of those 20 years we made the playoffs, 12 times we were in the NFL/NFC Championship game, 5 times we went to the SB and won it twice. Even when we lost we were close to winning it all.
    There is a feeling I have experienced after each Super Bowl that is always surprising...It is a hollow feeling that the journey has ended and that's all there is. I am satisfied with the results, but the tension and anxiety is suddenly over. And while they have won the ultimate prize, and accomplished everything I hoped they would, it has ended and there is no more...It's a similar feeling to the one when you are bounced from the play-offs knowing it's seven months before football starts again....To be sure the glow of winning carries on for a week or so, but then its all over....Someone said the journey is the best part of it, and that is right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Yes, I'm sure you believe you've cornered the market on objectivity and inarguable positions. Zealots usually do.

How about you let people discuss their favorite sports team, the good and the bad, from THEIR perspectives? That's what these forums are for. If not, I'm sure the Bieber forums are vigorously policed, and may be more to your liking.

BTW, you're the one toting the pailful of "impotent anger". No one else has started a thread complaining about people who disagree with them.
    Ding ding ding ding. You can now shut this puppy down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Right, you're not angry.
    Funny how ActualSpamBot laid out a bunch of stats to back up his argument, and you come in with a couple personal attacks. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Ding ding ding ding. You can now shut this puppy down.
    So just so I'm clear here you believe fans should be able to "discuss their favorite sports team, the good and the bad, from THEIR perspectives" AND you also believe that this thread should be shut down? Again... It's called cognitive dissonance and you folks need to look it up.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Ironically I think our MASSIVE home field advantage is giving people an inflated sense of this team. We are NOT as good at home as we would be on a neutral field. I don't know why we're so dependent on the home crowd, but it's inescapably part of our identity now and people simply need to understand that. Instead of looking at the home performance as the norm and the road games as a failure, I view the home games as a moderate abberations above our typical ability, and the road games as moderate deviations below it.

To put it more simply, we're a B+ team. At home we're an A+ team and on the road we're a C team. People look at the A+ team and wonder where that C team is coming from instead of where that A+ team is coming from at home.
    Well this is a good debate topic. I obviously agree with the premise that our performances (like most/all teams) would be ranked from best to worst as at home, at neutral field, away. That seems like common sense. But I think the distance between our neutral and away perfomances is currently greater than the distance between our home and neutral. Not only that, I think the distance between our neutral and away is greater than it was a few years ago.

To me, I think our offense has evolved into a more risk-taking, more reward-gaining offense, i.e. more high powered. This leads to better results when things go well. Things go well more often at home. Hence, our homefield advantage hasn't increased (to explain the 31-55 point outbursts), but rather our offense's upside has increased. This shows up with our league-leading number of plays of 20+ yards.

The problem is, this same more-risk, more-reward, less-safe offense can lead to worse results (lower downside) than a milquetoast, safe, rely-on-the-defense offense if things go poorly (more 3-and-outs, less points). On the road, I think this is the case. Whether it is the snap-count disadvantage due to crowd noise affecting our O-line's blocking, or whether it is the unfamiliar turf, or whether it is the hassle of travel, or whether Cameron calls different plays, etc, something significantly throws a monkey wrench in our newer/better high-powered offense. And it does so to the extent that our results are worse than what they have been when we used to play it "safe."

It would be nice to play a couple neutral field games to test the results. I think non-deafening crowd noise but on a non-M&T field would be a good control. And I think we would do pretty well offensively; I personally think the crowd noise hurts us more than most other teams.

Well our game in Washington has a real good chance of being as close to neutral field as you can get outside of London. And the Skins have a talented, if underachieving, defense. Could be a good control for this theory.

I'm happy they won. But it's also about what could and SHOULD be. The frustration is also built upon 10 waisted years... and still seeing an OC trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Funny how ActualSpamBot laid out a bunch of stats to back up his argument, and you come in with a couple personal attacks. Hmmm
    The disagreement is about the tone of the board today, not statistics. There's praise; there's criticism. I think most people recognize that this was a good game between two banged-up teams, and the Ravens did well to win.

Did you find it "painful" to read the forum today?

Edit: for the record, no, I don't care that the Ravens just tied the record for consecutive division wins. What they did last year and the year before that doesn't get them any close to the Super Bowl this year.

Blog Entries

great thread; we just played our hated rival with the #1 defense, at home in arguably a 'must win' scenario.... and WON! Who cares how they won it, they won it. Freakin awesome!!!