Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 72

Thread: Ray Rice

  1. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,350
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ray Rice



    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Birk was completely demolished over and over again by Hampton. I haven't seen Hampton play that well in years. He was dominant.
    He did the exact same thing last year. So did Wilfork.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #38

    Re: Ray Rice

    Well, overpaid and overrated are very big stretches here considering he is already over 1,000 yards for the season once again. Let's not go here, because it's selling Rice short.

    That said, he did frustrate me a couple times last night with those inside cuts into traffic. There were two specific runs I can remember that if he just stayed to the outside or if he kept on his line he was heading on, he would have picked up multiple extra yards and even a 1st down or two. But on those two runs he cut back in and was met by someone that wouldn't have gotten to him otherwise. He ran right into defenders and it cost us yards.

    I don't know why Rice doesn't run to the outside much, but it's something he needs to start doing more of.




  3. #39

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Well, overpaid and overrated are very big stretches here considering he is already over 1,000 yards for the season once again. Let's not go here, because it's selling Rice short.

    That said, he did frustrate me a couple times last night with those inside cuts into traffic. There were two specific runs I can remember that if he just stayed to the outside or if he kept on his line he was heading on, he would have picked up multiple extra yards and even a 1st down or two. But on those two runs he cut back in and was met by someone that wouldn't have gotten to him otherwise. He ran right into defenders and it cost us yards.

    I don't know why Rice doesn't run to the outside much, but it's something he needs to start doing more of.


    Rice didn't have a terrible considering game considering the competition and the fact that the Steelers didn't have Pitta to worry about, but he still left some yards out there.




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    4,985
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    Yes the Steelers have a good defense, but they've been giving up 3.8 YPC. Ray Rice essentially had half that. I wouldn't trade Rice for any other back but he just disappears in every Steelers game. Would have liked to see some Pierce action.
    Negative. Both games last year he had monster runs off the left side right at the start of each game. One was called back by a horrible holding call on Torrey Smith. He had an uncharacteristically bad game running the ball but he's been pretty good most of the time against the Stoolers.




  5. #41

    Re: Ray Rice

    Rice is a very capable back. The problem is he seems to be the only source of offense a lot of the time. So teams key on him, shut him down. Then Cam has to break out the crayons on the sideline and figure something else out besides hand the ball to Rice or throw the ball to Rice. It isn't as bad this year as it has been in the past. The Ravens are finally looking to get the ball into the hands of someone other than Rice at least some of the time. But when that Rice well runs dry it seems to affect the entire game plan.




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,129
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ray Rice

    The point that the OP is trying to make is that, excuses are more often made for Rice after a bad game, than for Flacco following a bad game. I agree with the OP. He threw in some over the top frustration, but I agree with the sentiment.

    When Rice struggled in the playoffs the past two years, it was the offensive line's fault for not opening holes. Joe Flacco can have one bad game passing and, 'this passing offense hasn't proven that it can be a consistent threat, so let's get back to giving Rice the ball'. That's the mentality around here and around the city, and I think it's been this way for a few years.

    When some posters try to show that Rice is one of those home run backs who will more consistently gain 2 yards over and over, before striking one for fifteen, other posters have decided to lean on the YPC average as the backbone to their argument.

    When the passing offense gets into a rut, yes, there will be mention of dropped passes or poor protection, but there is no doubt that Flacco will shoulder the blame in the eyes of most Ravens fans. It does get frustrating after a while, because it's like nobody has jack to say when Rice has one of his 18 carry 45 yard games where they try to force feed him.

    Rice's numbers have not been great as of late. Meanwhile, Pierce hasn't had nearly as much trouble gaining yardage with the touches he has received. Why is that? Is the offensive line suddenly blocking better for him? We know how Rice is, but just as much as some posters claim we try to make Flacco out to be more than what he is, the same is done to Rice. Rice is a back who will consistently give you short runs, before breaking the big one. We all know how he gets when he gets frustrated. He stops following Leach/the play in general. Harbaugh's got on him about it. Leach has got on him about it. Wilbert Montgomery has got on him about it and even Ray Lewis has talked to him about it.

    Surprise, surprise, Leachisabeast, Benard Pierce needs more carries.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 11-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The point that the OP is trying to make is that, excuses are more often made for Rice after a bad game, than for Flacco following a bad game. I agree with the OP. He threw in some over the top frustration, but I agree with the sentiment.

    When Rice struggled in the playoffs the past two years, it was the offensive line's fault for not opening holes. Joe Flacco can have one bad game passing and, 'this passing offense hasn't proven that it can be a consistent threat, so let's get back to giving Rice the ball'. That's the mentality around here and around the city, and I think it's been this way for a few years.

    When some posters try to show that Rice is one of those home run backs who will more consistently gain 2 yards over and over, before striking one for fifteen, other posters have decided to lean on the YPC average as the backbone to their argument.

    When the passing offense gets into a rut, yes, there will be mentioned of dropped passes or poor protection, but there is no doubt that Flacco will shoulder the blame in the eyes of most Ravens fans. It does get frustrating after a while, because it's like nobody has jack to say when Rice has one of his 18 carry 45 yard games where they try to force feed him.

    Rice's numbers have not been great as of late. Meanwhile, Pierce hasn't had nearly as much trouble gaining yardage with the touches he has received. Why is that? Is the offensive line suddenly blocking better for him? We know how Rice is, but just as much as some posters claim we try to make Flacco out to be more than what he is, the same is done to Rice. Rice is a back who will consistently give you short runs, before breaking the big one. We all know how he gets when he gets frustrated. He stops following Leach/the play in general. Harbaugh's got on him about it. Leach has got on him about it. Wilbert Montgomery has got on him about it and even Ray Lewis has talked to him about it.

    Surprise, surprise, Leachisabeast, Benard Pierce needs more carries.
    People are always making excuses for Flacco, whether that be blaming Cam Cameron or the receivers dropping balls (btw the receivers have barely dropped anything this year).




  8. #44

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The point that the OP is trying to make is that, excuses are more often made for Rice after a bad game, than for Flacco following a bad game. I agree with the OP. He threw in some over the top frustration, but I agree with the sentiment.

    When Rice struggled in the playoffs the past two years, it was the offensive line's fault for not opening holes. Joe Flacco can have one bad game passing and, 'this passing offense hasn't proven that it can be a consistent threat, so let's get back to giving Rice the ball'. That's the mentality around here and around the city, and I think it's been this way for a few years.

    When some posters try to show that Rice is one of those home run backs who will more consistently gain 2 yards over and over, before striking one for fifteen, other posters have decided to lean on the YPC average as the backbone to their argument.

    When the passing offense gets into a rut, yes, there will be mentioned of dropped passes or poor protection, but there is no doubt that Flacco will shoulder the blame in the eyes of most Ravens fans. It does get frustrating after a while, because it's like nobody has jack to say when Rice has one of his 18 carry 45 yard games where they try to force feed him.

    Rice's numbers have not been great as of late. Meanwhile, Pierce hasn't had nearly as much trouble gaining yardage with the touches he has received. Why is that? Is the offensive line suddenly blocking better for him? We know how Rice is, but just as much as some posters claim we try to make Flacco out to be more than what he is, the same is done to Rice. Rice is a back who will consistently give you short runs, before breaking the big one. We all know how he gets when he gets frustrated. He stops following Leach/the play in general. Harbaugh's got on him about it. Leach has got on him about it. Wilbert Montgomery has got on him about it and even Ray Lewis has talked to him about it.

    Surprise, surprise, Leachisabeast, Benard Pierce needs more carries.
    The problem with the general theme of this argument is that it is plainly easy to see when other teams sell out to stop Rice. That these teams also verbalize their goal makes it undeniable. No such focus is given to our passing game (except perhaps in taking Rice away from our passing game, i.e. dump-offs, screens).

    That said, Rice has left more yards on the field this year than last thusfar, imo. And Pierce is more dynamic and younger than our past back-ups (so should get more carries than they did, not less) I agree on those points.




  9. #45

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    People are always making excuses for Flacco, whether that be blaming Cam Cameron or the receivers dropping balls (btw the receivers have barely dropped anything this year).
    I have to disagree with the "barely dropped anything this year" comment. Theyve improved, as has Flaccos completion percentage, but id hardly say there isnt still room for improvement in that area.
    -JAB




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I have to disagree with the "barely dropped anything this year" comment. Theyve improved, as has Flaccos completion percentage, but id hardly say there isnt still room for improvement in that area.
    Jacoby has one dropped pass, Boldin has only 1 too, Torrey has 4, that's one of the lowest drop rates in the league.




  11. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,129
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The problem with the general theme of this argument is that it is plainly easy to see when other teams sell out to stop Rice. That these teams also verbalize their goal makes it undeniable. No such focus is given to our passing game (except perhaps in taking Rice away from our passing game, i.e. dump-offs, screens).

    That said, Rice has left more yards on the field this year than last thusfar, imo. And Pierce is more dynamic and younger than our past back-ups (so should get more carries than they did, not less) I agree on those points.
    This is true and it lends itself to the argument that I have been trying to make all season. The passing offense needs to be able to take better advantage of this, but it won't if it's put back in the closet after every little mistake or every bad game. They'll revert back to Rice, Rice will get stuffed in the playoffs and the passing offense will be asked to come out of the closet cold and win the game.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  12. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ray Rice

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is true and it lends itself to the argument that I have been trying to make all season. The passing offense needs to be able to take better advantage of this, but it won't if it's put back in the closet after every little mistake or every bad game. They'll revert back to Rice, Rice will get stuffed in the playoffs and the passing offense will be asked to come out of the closet cold and win the game.
    The point that your missing is that against the Steelers the passing offense wasn't working either.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland