Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice

Ray Rice

I know everyone is quick to jump on Flacco when he has a bad or mediocre game, but what about Ray Rice? He looked like pure garbage last night, and it happens a lot. If Rice doesn't bust a big run in a game it seems like he is consistently averaging about 2 yards a carry. We paid this guy a boatload of money, and I honestly thing Pierce could be more effective. Ray Rice is a very nice guy. He's a good passing threat out of the backfield and he's good in open space, but as a north and south runner he is just plain awful. I hate to say it, but he's over-rated and overpaid.

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice

3rd string left guard.
    40 year old center.
    #1 D.

Next topic.

Number one defense may have had something to do with it.

They get paid too, you know?

Their DB's covered our WR's last night. I think we needed a TE to step up and when Pitta got hurt it was difficult to get any passing going. This allowed the front 7 to really key on Rice. Credit to the Steelers, they shut our O down.

Casey Hampton was making Matt Birk his bitch last night.

They were trying to run outside zone to make the Center-Nose Tackle less of a factor but he still couldn't hold up enough.

I'm more apt to understand Joe's low YPA in this game solely due to the fact that we had zero threat to run the ball. Absolutely none. Our offense works best when we can run the ball at least a little bit.

I see, so the #1 D had nothing to do with Flacco's performance (which was actually better than Rice's), but everything to do with Rice's. This is far from the first time this has happened with Rice.

Blog Entries

all those comments above are true, it was going to be tough sledding. But a couple times I saw Leach plow right and it looked like Rice could get a big gain but he stopped and tried to cut back inside and was immediately hit. Follow Leach!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Casey Hampton was making Matt Birk his bitch last night.

They were trying to run outside zone to make the Center-Nose Tackle less of a factor but he still couldn't hold up enough.

I'm more apt to understand Joe's low YPA in this game solely due to the fact that we had zero threat to run the ball. Absolutely none. Our offense works best when we can run the ball at least a little bit.
    This and did you also notice how poorly our TE's were attempting to block their LB's?

Ray had 93 yards from scrimmage last night. Not exactly hot garbage, especially on the road against a formidable D determined to take him and Torrey out of the game. (And with Pitta taken out as well, making that easier.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Ray looks good holding the M & T bank flag.LOL Saw him not follow Leach several times. No 1 defense will limit his yardage and Birk and the oline was manhandled last night. Just glad Flacco was not injured and had a little time in the pocket(1 or 2 seconds). I believe that if Flacco could just pump fake or look off defenders then his completions would improve. Most times it looks like he doesn't do his check downs and settles for Rice or his first look. Steelers secondary had his number all night and our receivers were having a hard time with them. Thankfully no interceptions happened.

I do put a little of the blame on Rice. It was a subpar effort IMO. I understand there weren't many openings, but I do think that he missed a hole or two that could have made the outcome a bit more comfortable. Give a boatload of credit to the Steelers though. Rice had practically no yards after contact at all last night. When Rice was hit, he went down.

I do agree it was a mistake to only give Pierce 2 or 3 carries.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I do put a little of the blame on Rice. It was a subpar effort IMO. I understand there weren't many openings, but I do think that he missed a hole or two that could have made the outcome a bit more comfortable. Give a boatload of credit to the Steelers though. Rice had practically no yards after contact at all last night. When Rice was hit, he went down.

I do agree it was a mistake to only give Pierce 2 or 3 carries.
    Fully agree. Rice had one of his worst games in terms of production vs. opportunity. I am not saying he played poorly, or that there were many opportunities, just saying he did not play well (for him) and he missed a few opportunities, one of them was egregious.

The 2nd and 7 from our 38 with 2:09 left in the game could have been converted fairly easily, imo, had he just kept running towards the first down marker. The camera showed a huge lane amd he was already running full speed straight through it. Then inexplicably he did a jumpcut and got annihilated for a 0 yard gain. Maybe he was afraid of getting pushed out of bounds (vs. keeping the clock running) or maybe he was going for a "big" play vs. safe play, but I think it was clearly the wrong move.

And as you said, he went down to first contact almost every time he carried it last night, which I guess is a tribute to the Steelers defense as much as a criticism of Rice but it still is not the norm for Rice.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-19-2012 at 12:06 PM.