Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ray Rice

Re: Ray Rice

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is true and it lends itself to the argument that I have been trying to make all season. The passing offense needs to be able to take better advantage of this, but it won't if it's put back in the closet after every little mistake or every bad game. They'll revert back to Rice, Rice will get stuffed in the playoffs and the passing offense will be asked to come out of the closet cold and win the game.
    Where have I heard this before? ;)

Just kidding.

I agree wih your theory/suggestion up to a point. And that point is, we can experiment or "practice" stuff in regular season games only to the extent it does not significantly reduce our chances of winning the games. I vehemently disagree with the idea we should accept extra losses, even a single extra loss, during the season and thereby risk missing the playoffs at worst, or playing on the road (vs. at home) at best, just to "practice" our passing game. The same goes for giving young backups significant time. Sure Gradkowski would look better in 2014 if he starts playing now, but if playing him now makes our on-the-field team worse, then he waits. There is a reason why teams wait until their season is "lost" (regarding the playoffs) before starting young QBs and playing backups to evaluate for the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is true and it lends itself to the argument that I have been trying to make all season. The passing offense needs to be able to take better advantage of this, but it won't if it's put back in the closet after every little mistake or every bad game. They'll revert back to Rice, Rice will get stuffed in the playoffs and the passing offense will be asked to come out of the closet cold and win the game.
    They're passing the ball 59% of the time. That puts them 24th in rushing attempts. How can the passing offense come out cold when they pass that much of the time? They're are very few teams running the ball less than the Ravens do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Jacoby has one dropped pass, Boldin has only 1 too, Torrey has 4, that's one of the lowest drop rates in the league.
    Again thats going off an opinion of what a dropped pass is. They were much lower statistics last year from PFF and all the other sites than what many of saw during the games. Boldin having only one stands out to me. Hes had more than one. that also doesnt account for Dickson, Pitta and Rice. Even Leach has one this year. Im not arguing that theyre better, but its certainly not the best in the league either. Watching other games id say were more average this year, but still could improve overall.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Again thats going off an opinion of what a dropped pass is. They were much lower statistics last year from PFF and all the other sites than what many of saw during the games. Boldin having only one stands out to me. Hes had more than one. that also doesnt account for Dickson, Pitta and Rice. Even Leach has one this year. Im not arguing that theyre better, but its certainly not the best in the league either. Watching other games id say were more average this year, but still could improve overall.
    But as stated by GOTA, we also pass the ball 59 % of the time, and to only have that many drops is still impressive IMO.

The point that your missing is that against the Steelers the passing offense wasn't working either.
    Nothing worked against the Steelers offensively for a few reasons, no particular order:

1) Ray Rice had a bad game running the football, 2) Cam Cameron called an inconsistent game, 3) Joe Flacco was inaccurate, 4) the OL opened no holes in the running game, 5) our WRs could not beat man coverage, and 6) Dennis Pitta missed all but the first series of the game.

Those are A LOT of things to go wrong in one game. Not only did you have Cam Cameron's usual problems with putting together a workable game plan and adjusting it on the fly, you ALSO had every offensive position group play a bad game--Rice was bad, the OL was bad (at least in the run game,) and Flacco was bad. Cam Cameron has always been an anchor holding this offense down, but with all those other factors coming into play there was NO WAY this was going to be a good game particularly given the nature of offensive synergy--Rice's bad game worsened Flacco's game and vice versa, etc.

With this offense, when it rains, it pours. Very rarely does just ONE thing go wrong--it's usually several things, particularly in the passing game, and you know perfectly well by halftime what the character of the game is going to be.

The thing is, losing Dennis Pitta is getting underrated, IMO. We know that offensively the Ravens struggle to use the middle of the field on the road, the reasons for that are probably multiple and complex. Dennis Pitta has been the one pass catcher who has earned Flacco's trust over the middle and consistently gets open, even if only for short gains. Losing Pitta from the gameplan very well may have been huge, and we shouldn't underrate how significant of an effect that could have had. We don't know the gameplan so we can't know for sure, but it's worth mentioning.

Blog Entries

But as stated by GOTA, we also pass the ball 59 % of the time, and to only have that many drops is still impressive IMO.
    if thats what youre going to go by, than yes it would appear to be impressive. I dont agree with those numbers, however, and think were merely average. I just dont know where theyre getting that from. Boldin has had a 2-3 drop game this year (im forgetting which one unfortunately), that people were harping on. its not something thats exact as it is opinion based, but i would say those numbers arent 100% accurate and tend to be a little favorable to the players.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    if thats what youre going to go by, than yes it would appear to be impressive. I dont agree with those numbers, however, and think were merely average. I just dont know where theyre getting that from. Boldin has had a 2-3 drop game this year (im forgetting which one unfortunately), that people were harping on. its not something thats exact as it is opinion based, but i would say those numbers arent 100% accurate and tend to be a little favorable to the players.
    It's not just PFF, FO also have our receiving core ranked pretty high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Nothing worked against the Steelers offensively for a few reasons, no particular order:

1) Ray Rice had a bad game running the football, 2) Cam Cameron called an inconsistent game, 3) Joe Flacco was inaccurate, 4) the OL opened no holes in the running game, 5) our WRs could not beat man coverage, and 6) Dennis Pitta missed all but the first series of the game.

Those are A LOT of things to go wrong in one game. Not only did you have Cam Cameron's usual problems with putting together a workable game plan and adjusting it on the fly, you ALSO had every offensive position group play a bad game--Rice was bad, the OL was bad (at least in the run game,) and Flacco was bad. Cam Cameron has always been an anchor holding this offense down, but with all those other factors coming into play there was NO WAY this was going to be a good game particularly given the nature of offensive synergy--Rice's bad game worsened Flacco's game and vice versa, etc.

With this offense, when it rains, it pours. Very rarely does just ONE thing go wrong--it's usually several things, particularly in the passing game, and you know perfectly well by halftime what the character of the game is going to be.

The thing is, losing Dennis Pitta is getting underrated, IMO. We know that offensively the Ravens struggle to use the middle of the field on the road, the reasons for that are probably multiple and complex. Dennis Pitta has been the one pass catcher who has earned Flacco's trust over the middle and consistently gets open, even if only for short gains. Losing Pitta from the gameplan very well may have been huge, and we shouldn't underrate how significant of an effect that could have had. We don't know the gameplan so we can't know for sure, but it's worth mentioning.
    Shouldn't Dixon be able to step into Pitta's role? It's not like Pitta is Todd Heap. Dixon's biggest issue is drops. He should still have been able to work the middle of the field the same way that Pitta would have. The drop off from Pitta to Dixon is not huge.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This and did you also notice how poorly our TE's were attempting to block their LB's?
    I seem to remember a few poeple wondering how we drafted 2 TE's in back to back picks when neither one can block a lick... especially considering how good of a draft that was for pseudo-2way TE's. Gronk obviously the leaderin that clubhouse... Hreck, even Michael Hoomanawanui would be seen as a MAJOR upgrade inthe blocking dept while not showing a huge drop off in pass catching ability..

I like Pitta as a number 2 Te/H-back motion guy for underneath routes but Dickson is a major Question mark and has been since draft day to me... Chosen ahead of Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez and more... terrible pick. As obvious that day that it was a terrible pick as it is today.

Blog Entries

And when they put Bajema in to handle blocking assignments he was buried. I doubt he sees much action again...

Keep in mind this was the #1 defense, at home, big game where they brought back all of the past stars and arguably a 'must win' primetime game. We got their best shot and came out with a W. I'll take it any day of the week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They're passing the ball 59% of the time. That puts them 24th in rushing attempts. How can the passing offense come out cold when they pass that much of the time? They're are very few teams running the ball less than the Ravens do.
    Which is a good start. They need to keep it up. They've tried some screens here and some slants there. They just need to work at it. Then, they've still had there moments, like in Cleveland. They're, 'Everyone is giving us heat for not giving Rice the ball, so let's pound him into the ground' and 'We have the lead, let's just run run pass and punt so we can get the heck out of here' moments.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Boldin dropped three passes in the first quarter of the KC game alone.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore