Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Post-Game Thoughts

Ravens defense is slowly getting better as time goes on. Secondary is dealing with new guys learning to play together. Leftwich had receivers open but was injured and missed a lot of passes. Hope Rice follows Leach and stops trying to find his own opening. Flacco needs to learn how to pump fake and not let the defense rush him to the point he can't do his check downs. Seems to me Flacco always goes to his first read.Great to win at piitsburgh no matter how it was done. Good teams find ways to win even with leftwich at QB. His first score woke up the defense and made them mad. Big hits also won the game for the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Ravens defense is slowly getting better as time goes on. Secondary is dealing with new guys learning to play together. Leftwich had receivers open but was injured and missed a lot of passes. Hope Rice follows Leach and stops trying to find his own opening. Flacco needs to learn how to pump fake and not let the defense rush him to the point he can't do his check downs. Seems to me Flacco always goes to his first read.Great to win at piitsburgh no matter how it was done. Good teams find ways to win even with leftwich at QB. His first score woke up the defense and made them mad. Big hits also won the game for the Ravens.
    In those last couple drives the steelers had, it was a nice change of pace knowing that the opponent wouldn't/couldn't move the ball on our defense. Of course part of that was how our defense was playing AND facing an incapacitated QB.

- it was great to get jah reid and upshaw experience in these big games and come out wiht a win.
    - graham is a better cover guy than jimmy smith.
    - that was just a total gut check win by the ravens. it is a result of the culture harbaugh has manifested.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I don't get this "Flacco continued his road woes" thing. He took what the Steelers gave him, which wasn't much. He didn't make any mistakes.
    It's no secret that Joe doesn't play well on the road. His road numbers back to 2008 have already been provided somewhere on this forum. But to your point, he played well enough to not commit any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    - it was great to get jah reid and upshaw experience in these big games and come out wiht a win.
    - graham is a better cover guy than jimmy smith.
    - that was just a total gut check win by the ravens. it is a result of the culture harbaugh has manifested.
    I think it's a bit premature to pencil Graham as better than Jimmy Smith. It was just one game. Let's see what he does over the next 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    First of all, I was totally bass ackwards in my prediction going into this game. I really thought our O would score enough to offset the D's ineptitude against the run, even with Ben out of the game - I believed the Steelers would run often, and then run play action giving Leftwich confidence in the air game. Instead, Flacco continued his road woes, and was bailed out by the D.

I was really impressed with the play of our Defense, both in the run game and pass defense. Corey Graham came up Huge, along with others, including Pees with his game plan - I have been a Pees critic for some time, but last night he delivered, along with a hard hitting performance by our D. Kudos to you guys! Once again it was fun watching our D lay some leather on the 'bumble bees'.

Secondly, our team really seemed to be much more Disciplined last night, compared to past games - kudos to Harbs for infusing that element into the game. It paid huge dividends last night.

And, even though Falco once again demonstrated his erratic play when away from home, he did NOT turn the ball over, and, that too, was Critical!

All in all, a fun game to watch - hard hitting on D; and Stellar play by our ST....sort of reminds one of our success to a SB championship run. P.S. our D is certainly not on the level of our championship Defense, just to clarify!
    How the fuck can anyone place this game on flacco?

It was clearly the fucking inept play calling. Flacco had about 2 or 3 errant throws. That happens, he is human. However he still finished with around 65% completion.

As of right now, Joe has exactly as many home games as away for his career so comparing them is nice and easy.

Through his career Flacco is 32-5 at home and 20-17 on the road.

His completion percentage at home is 62%, 59.5% road. 8555 yards at home, 7756 on the road. 49 TDs at home, 44 on the road. 22 Ints home, 31 road. QB rating of 92.9 home, 79.9 road. Weird quirk, 6 rushing TDs at home, zero on the road.

So, to conclude. Flacco is an elite, top 5 QB at home, and an average top 15 QB on the road.

He doesn't actually play poorly on the road. He just plays SO well at home that average play on the road looks like hot garbage in comparison.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    How the fuck can anyone place this game on flacco?

It was clearly the fucking inept play calling. Flacco had about 2 or 3 errant throws. That happens, he is human. However he still finished with around 65% completion.
    Shhhhhhh Your gonna upset the CAM HUGGERS!!!

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

They highlighted the coverage that Torrey Smith was getting on the broadcast a few times. They were bringing a safety underneath to cut off the quick timing routes, and had Ike Taylor sitting over the top to take away the deep route. It was interesting, and I think it's why a number of Joe's passes to Torrey along the sideline looked off - I think he saw the safety cheating underneath as he was throwing, so he placed the ball high to avoid a pick. If I'm right on that, then those are good passes by Flacco, because they AREN'T pick sixes.

And I think the deep pass to Torrey was on the money, it was just a great defensive play by Ike Taylor to break it up. That pass would have hit Torrey in stride, and he was gone.

Also, the offense did the smart thing by going to Bolden. He had a mismatch, and they exploited it. Basically had we come away with a single touchdown when we got into scoring range, we would have won easily. We didn't, and we won anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    They highlighted the coverage that Torrey Smith was getting on the broadcast a few times. They were bringing a safety underneath to cut off the quick timing routes, and had Ike Taylor sitting over the top to take away the deep route. It was interesting, and I think it's why a number of Joe's passes to Torrey along the sideline looked off - I think he saw the safety cheating underneath as he was throwing, so he placed the ball high to avoid a pick. If I'm right on that, then those are good passes by Flacco, because they AREN'T pick sixes.

And I think the deep pass to Torrey was on the money, it was just a great defensive play by Ike Taylor to break it up. That pass would have hit Torrey in stride, and he was gone.

Also, the offense did the smart thing by going to Bolden. He had a mismatch, and they exploited it. Basically had we come away with a single touchdown when we got into scoring range, we would have won easily. We didn't, and we won anyway.
    So when that happens.... The middle of the field is W I D E O P E N!!!

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I think it's a bit premature to pencil Graham as better than Jimmy Smith. It was just one game. Let's see what he does over the next 6 weeks.
    Well to be fair, Jimmy Smith really hasn't done anything to set him self ahead of Graham. Some people have already started with the "bust" label on him due to expectations vs results thus far from him.

Graham stepped up and played ball. He made plays, period. Jimmy Smith hasn't made any plays where anyone would put a little notice on him other than giving up big plays or committing Pass Interference. When the t.v. announcers mention Smith, it's usually a result of something negative on his part. Last night the announcers mentioned Graham due to his positive plays that Smith most likely would not have made.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Well to be fair, Jimmy Smith really hasn't done anything to set him self ahead of Graham. Some people have already started with the "bust" label on him due to expectations vs results thus far from him.

Graham stepped up and played ball. He made plays, period. Jimmy Smith hasn't made any plays where anyone would put a little notice on him other than giving up big plays or committing Pass Interference. When the t.v. announcers mention Smith, it's usually a result of something negative on his part. Last night the announcers mentioned Graham due to his positive plays that Smith most likely would not have made.
    Smith had a huge interception in the playoffs last year against New England. But this year he's been struggling. Maybe it's related to the sports hernia?