Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post-Game Thoughts

First of all, I was totally bass ackwards in my prediction going into this game. I really thought our O would score enough to offset the D's ineptitude against the run, even with Ben out of the game - I believed the Steelers would run often, and then run play action giving Leftwich confidence in the air game. Instead, Flacco continued his road woes, and was bailed out by the D.

I was really impressed with the play of our Defense, both in the run game and pass defense. Corey Graham came up Huge, along with others, including Pees with his game plan - I have been a Pees critic for some time, but last night he delivered, along with a hard hitting performance by our D. Kudos to you guys! Once again it was fun watching our D lay some leather on the 'bumble bees'.

Secondly, our team really seemed to be much more Disciplined last night, compared to past games - kudos to Harbs for infusing that element into the game. It paid huge dividends last night.

And, even though Falco once again demonstrated his erratic play when away from home, he did NOT turn the ball over, and, that too, was Critical!

All in all, a fun game to watch - hard hitting on D; and Stellar play by our ST....sort of reminds one of our success to a SB championship run. P.S. our D is certainly not on the level of our championship Defense, just to clarify!
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 11-19-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Post-Game Thoughts

I don't get this "Flacco continued his road woes" thing. He took what the Steelers gave him, which wasn't much. He didn't make any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I don't get this "Flacco continued his road woes" thing. He took what the Steelers gave him, which wasn't much. He didn't make any mistakes.
    Good point; but most importantly he did NOT make any mistakes!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

A lot of people are talking about the D, but honestly the game plan was to run on us, and they did effectively. We were more Lucky that Leftwich got hurt and was basically inept on his own.

The offense still has struggles but a lot of last night wasnt Flaccos ineptitude but the offenses. The D they facde was pretty good and took away its two biggest weapons in Smith and Rice. Boldin was free but isnt a big threat and Pitta going out certainly didnt help. He did make an errant throw or two but i really think that was by design to protect the ball and place it where only we could get it, or nobody. We just simply didnt get open or make holes for the run game. As bad as it was, i think a good bit can be explained by who we were playing or the system itself, as opposed to the players "executing".
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Good point; but most importantly he did NOT make any mistakes!
    He completed 62% of his passes and had no turnovers. Flacco didn't have a great game, but we got a win. I think the offensive gameplan was very vanilla because they wanted to make Leftwich beat them.

Thought #1- Charlie Batch must be REALLY bad/old or have ZERO experience with Haley's new offense. Can't figure out why they kept him on the sidelines when Lefty was so hurt.

Thought #1b- If Ben isn't better, could we see Tyler Palko or another Haley retread in 2 weeks?

Thought #2- Sticking with Ray Rice is a good thing. We did it most of the game, even when we could have put the running game on the back burner. But two 3rd and 2 opportunities where we passed it had me scratching my head.

Thought #3- I'm hoping we don't have a "Steelers hangover" this week in SD. It's a big AFC game. Those new ravens CBs will have another good test this week out west.

Thought #4- We need to slow down the run. Looks better with suggs back, but should we rest haloti to get him closer to health?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Thought #2- Sticking with Ray Rice is a good thing. We did it most of the game, even when we could have put the running game on the back burner. But two 3rd and 2 opportunities where we passed it had me scratching my head.
    It was good that we stuck with the run game, however i would have liked to have seen what Pierce could have done more. Rice was basically completely ineffective in his touches @ 2.0 ypc. Having a bigger back could have worn out their Defense a little more and opened things up for Rice later. Typically i wouldnt say Rice should have less than 20 but I would have liked to have seen more go to Pierce to see if he could be more effective earlier.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think the offensive gameplan was very vanilla because they wanted to make Leftwich beat them.
    That was certainly part of it.

I think it was Collingsworth who mentioned that Flacco seemed banged up - some of his passes were a bit off target. Of course he was no where near in as much pain as Lefty.

I think the improvement in the defense has been quite notable since Pees moved to the booth upstairs. I wish Cam would do the same.

That said, the Steelers ran the type of offense we should be able to run: great ground attack to set up the play action. If Leftwich was better/not hurt, I'd shudder to think of the outcome.

Special teams won this game, great coverage and returns (not just Jacoby's TD). It's often overlooked, but their play was the difference. Not to mention that our "special teams" guys in Graham and Ihedigbo came up huge at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think it was Collingsworth who mentioned that Flacco seemed banged up - some of his passes were a bit off target. Of course he was no where near in as much pain as Lefty.
    I didn't hear Collingsworth say that, but it seemed that way to me. Flacco took a nasty hit in the first quarter.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I didn't hear Collingsworth say that, but it seemed that way to me. Flacco took a nasty hit in the first quarter.
    Flaccos passes are always off in road games

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Yeah, I thought he looked woozy after that hit.