Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question About the Offsides Penalty at the 2:00 Warning

Given that the Slags were trying, with some success, to time the snap count for most of the game, I wonder if we did anything unusual on that play to throw them off and score an offsides penalty at a critical moment.

If not, the outcome was fortuitous, to say the least.

BS

Re: Question About the Offsides Penalty at the 2:00 Warning

Not really they knew it was a pass play, so they tried to guess the snap. But what was dumber was not running on 3rd and 2. Had Joe thrown an incomplete pass or got sacked and fumbles would of made things much harder. Cam called a VERY BAD GAME AGAIN.

Here's a question: didn't the Steelers have to call back to back time-outs? Isn't that illegal? Why was there no penalty?

I might be remembering incorrectly.

There was a play in between

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Here's a question: didn't the Steelers have to call back to back time-outs? Isn't that illegal? Why was there no penalty?

I might be remembering incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    There was a play in between
    Thanks, I must've gotten up during the first time out and missed the play in between.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Not really they knew it was a pass play, so they tried to guess the snap. But what was dumber was not running on 3rd and 2. Had Joe thrown an incomplete pass or got sacked and fumbles would of made things much harder. Cam called a VERY BAD GAME AGAIN.
    I think it was one of those things where they told joe to hold the ball and only throw it if it was wide open and if it wasnt to just run as much clock as possible then take the sack

Huge tactical mistake by Tomlin to call their last timeout on the other side of the two-minute warning. Even without the offsides penalty to get us there and let us run another play, using the timeout there gives us the freedom to pass without the downside of an incomplete stopping the clock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Huge tactical mistake by Tomlin to call their last timeout on the other side of the two-minute warning. Even without the offsides penalty to get us there and let us run another play, using the timeout there gives us the freedom to pass without the downside of an incomplete stopping the clock.
    It was a head scratcher to blow a TO over so few seconds... and when they ran the ball down the field and had a 4th and 2 I was so glad they kicked the field goal. Can't believe they didn't go for it.
    Last edited by Ravenswintitle; 11-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries

The question I had about last night's game had to do with the injury time out for Jerricho Cotchery with 22 seconds left to go in the game. The Steelers were out of time outs, so why wasn't there a 10 second run off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The question I had about last night's game had to do with the injury time out for Jerricho Cotchery with 22 seconds left to go in the game. The Steelers were out of time outs, so why wasn't there a 10 second run off?
    The 10-second runoff is only for when the clock is continuously running. The incompletion stopped the clock automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The 10 second rule applies when certain penalties are committed to stop the clock in the last minute of either half. It doesn't apply to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The 10 second rule applies when certain penalties are committed to stop the clock in the last minute of either half. It doesn't apply to injuries.
    Oops. I take it back. I reread the rules. SNAFU was correct actually. So if an injury occurred with the clock continuously running then the Steelers would have been docked 10 seconds. But because of an incomplete pass the clock automatically stops anyway.