Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Question About the Offsides Penalty at the 2:00 Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Huge tactical mistake by Tomlin to call their last timeout on the other side of the two-minute warning. Even without the offsides penalty to get us there and let us run another play, using the timeout there gives us the freedom to pass without the downside of an incomplete stopping the clock.
    Exactly. They would have saved 7 or 8 seconds (the length of the play), but they let the Ravens open the entire playbook instead of forcing them to run or to only throw a pass that had virtually no risk (as they tried on the last play where Flacco took the sack. And then they screwed themselves by jumping offside.

Blog Entries

I didnt notice anything too different. Same old tells they did the entire game. Wouldnt be much of a benefit to give them an advantage for 99% of the game just to trick them once if you needed to late.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I got one. How about when Ray Rice ran up the middle and Farrior got called for a trip (D penalty) the clock stopped until the next snap. It was a run. So the only thing I could think of was that the play resulted in a 1st down resulting in the clock stopping. Is tht right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    I got one. How about when Ray Rice ran up the middle and Farrior got called for a trip (D penalty) the clock stopped until the next snap. It was a run. So the only thing I could think of was that the play resulted in a 1st down resulting in the clock stopping. Is tht right?
    Pretty sure that was Larry Foote. James Farrior is out of football these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    The clock doesn't stop on a 1st down in the NFL. I was confused by this as well... I thought once the ball was spotted and the ref blew the ready for play whistle the clock would restart, but it didn't appear to. I have no idea why not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Pretty sure that was Larry Foote. James Farrior is out of football these days.
    Yeah Foote. My Bad so use to Farrior being in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    I was confused by this as well... I thought once the ball was spotted and the ref blew the ready for play whistle the clock would restart, but it didn't appear to. I have no idea why not.
    No, it didn't restart, and I couldn't find anything in my memory banks to indicate whether it should have.

Found it. Rule 4, Section 3, Article 2f:

If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following
    enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred,
    except that the clock will start on the snap if:

(1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
    (2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
    (3) a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...ame_Timing.pdf

So the refs handled it correctly.