Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Somebody needs to talk me out of this...

If no stud LB fall in the draft next year, the Ravens should consider drafting Tavon Austin with the last pick of the first round. After watching him slice through Oklahoma and watching the Ravens do nothing against the Steelers, I wish the Ravens would take him and try to turn him into a Welker like receiver.

Part of me knows this is insane but another part of me knows every time he touched the ball at M & T the crowd would go insane.

Re: Somebody needs to talk me out of this...

I wouldn't be that opposed. He has the ability to be a Desean Jackson type guy.

And he already hates the Steelers, so there's that.

He's not a fit for our offense. Even if Cam goes, odds are we'll be sticking to the Air Coryell and you need speed AND size for that. Not to mention I see him getting absolutely crushed here in the North. I'd take him in Madden, not the draft.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He's not a fit for our offense. Even if Cam goes, odds are we'll be sticking to the Air Coryell and you need speed AND size for that.
    There is no way you know that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post

Seriously. Lol. How can he speculate what offense they'll be running if you don't even know what coordinators would be available (and that's IF the Ravens finally get rid of Cam).
    Last edited by Cj34; 11-19-2012 at 12:22 PM.

And even so Cam has said before that it's not necessarily about size but speed is definitely a requirement for this offense.

I don't see us drafting him but would I welcome it? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    It's pretty much consensus. And it's how this team does business. We're a risk averse organization that likes to maintain continuity. Also, our best receiver is a AC prototype, as is our QB (despite the arm chair coordinators who insist Flacco should run the WCO) and so is our QB coach. (Manning ran a hybrid AC/unique vertical offense that Caldwell helped design.) If Cam goes, Caldwell will likely be considered to replace him, as will the likely to be fired Norv Turner (or someone from his likely to be fired staff.)

Also, I was very clear in my post that I was only basing this on probabilities. I never said we would definitely do anything. But IF we don't overhaul our entire offensive philosophy, then Tavon Austin does not fit our offensive needs.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Will he really go that high? He might be available in the 3rd or 4th round and if that's the case, its worth the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Will he really go that high? He might be available in the 3rd or 4th round and if that's the case, its worth the gamble.
    He is ranked among the top 5 CFB receivers at the moment. I don't think he'll be there past the second round.

Blog Entries

Best player available supercedes you continuity factor, so I wouldn't worry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He's not a fit for our offense. Even if Cam goes, odds are we'll be sticking to the Air Coryell and you need speed AND size for that. Not to mention I see him getting absolutely crushed here in the North. I'd take him in Madden, not the draft.
    He is arguably the same size as Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. Those guys seem to do pretty well.

I'd love to see Tavon Austin as a Raven. Not 100% sure I'd use a 1st round pick on him though, but he is certainly a play maker and the Ravens don't have that quick-twitch type of receiver.

The only problem is, if Cam is still here next year then there is no way Tavon Austin would be used properly.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    My guess is mid 2nd round...and only because he is 5'9" 177lbs. If he were 6'+ and 200lbs...he'd be a top10 pick.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.