Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I disagree.

From a football standpoint, the ACC has become a joke. And who do we have a tradition with anyway? Maybe this move will be the elixir to get both the football and hoops teams t the next level.
    Agreed. I think the move would help football recruiting...top recruits want to compete against the best, and the B1G is definitely a superior football conference. The basketball teams are also extremely competitive, and Maryland would have a chance to expand its (and Under Armour's) brand to places that it doesn't currently reach.

Now, for basketball purposes, I hate the B1G style of play. But, you never know, maybe the Terps can influence the rest of the conference and get them to get out and run a little bit more.

I think this is great for Maryland, and borderline catastrophic for the ACC to lose the DC/MD TV market.

I disagree.

From a football standpoint, the ACC has become a joke. And who do we have a tradition with anyway? Maybe this move will be the elixir to get both the football and hoops teams t the next level.
    MD football sucks though, and has been bad more than they've been good. When I think Terps I think of bball and all the classic conference battles they've had with Duke, UNC, Wake, etc. Jordan vs Bias, Joe Smith vs Duncan and Sheed, Stackhouse, Carter, Jamison, Childress, Battier, Jason Williams, Brand, Bosh, Paul...etc. So many classic battles

I disagree.

I have to agree the ACC in football has become a joke, over the last several years. As a Terrapin Club member, I was furious about the move at first, but once I found out the scoop, it may not seem too bad. Previous athletic director Debbie Yow, ran the athletic programs into the ground. She was funding non- varsity sports, the expansion to Tyser tower with the suites. Numerous still remain vacant and the debacle with James Franklin. No wonder she bolted for NC State. This could benefit Md in the long run. Also there is a 3pm new conference at the Under Armour facility in Locust Point. Not to mention, Kevin Plank is on board for the move
    Lovin me some section 543

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Agreed. I think the move would help football recruiting...top recruits want to compete against the best, and the B1G is definitely a superior football conference. The basketball teams are also extremely competitive, and Maryland would have a chance to expand its (and Under Armour's) brand to places that it doesn't currently reach.

Now, for basketball purposes, I hate the B1G style of play. But, you never know, maybe the Terps can influence the rest of the conference and get them to get out and run a little bit more.
    Maryland will also benefit from Big Ten basketball. The league has enhanced its quality of play over the past several years. Teams like Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Minnesota are consistently ranked and in the national media now. IMO the Terps will still be able to maintain their high quality competition against the likes of these schools and others. So, IMO, it's a good move in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    I think this is great for Maryland, and borderline catastrophic for the ACC to lose the DC/MD TV market.
    Huh? DC media has been gushing over VT and UVa for the past two decades. Baltimore is a pro sports town. The ACC will do just fine.

Terrible move for alumni fans.

I have fond memories of many road trips to Charlottesville and down Tobacco Road. I have absolutely no interest in visiting the Rust Belt. This is even worse than the Ravens breaking their divisional rivalries with Jax and Nashville, which were not long-lasting but intense. Terps ACC rivalries go back for 90+ years.

This sucks. I will stop buying Terps game tickets, at least for awhile.

Let's see how some of y'all who like this move will feel after the Terps become the Big 10's perpetual football dormat ... WTF was the Athletic Department thinking?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Huh? DC media has been gushing over VT and UVa for the past two decades. Baltimore is a pro sports town. The ACC will do just fine.

Terrible move for alumni fans.

I have fond memories of many road trips to Charlottesville and down Tobacco Road. I have absolutely no interest in visiting the Rust Belt. This is even worse than the Ravens breaking their divisional rivalries with Jax and Nashville, which were not long-lasting but intense. Terps ACC rivalries go back for 90+ years.

This sucks. I will stop buying Terps game tickets, at least for awhile.

Let's see how some of y'all who like this move will feel after the Terps become the Big 10's perpetual football dormat ... WTF was the Athletic Department thinking?
    If I could rep you for this post I would because it is a great post.

You are right, the Virginia schools dominate the media coverage in the DC area when it comes to college football. Maryland does not receive a lot of coverage. IMO fans would rather follow and watch professional football than U of M football. I would say the loss of an ACC school in this area will not hurt. The rivalry between UVA and U of M is there, but it is not as intense as UVA and Va Tech. I think UVA fans dislike the Hokies much more than the Terps.

I don't believe bringing the Big Ten to the DC market is going to do anything great. As I pointed out, I think football fans in this area are NFL fans instead of college fans. I don't see nearly as much Terrapins merchandise worn by people as Redskins or Ravens gear.

#FireEdsall
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    #FireEdsall
    ?
    I think he's done here. GIve him maybe another year but I don't see him lasting to 2017
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Ugh, glad we left last Saturday's game early #woof

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think he's done here. GIve him maybe another year but I don't see him lasting to 2017
    looks like he might not make it til end of this year