Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Jah Reid or Bobbie Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Ok thus far THIS YEAR he has done remarkably well comparatively, however my point still stands. He's been owned throughout his career and has statistically high penalties in his career. And to be honest, just by the "eyeball" test he should have at least another half dozen false starts, maybe more, but I know watching on TV or at the game he's jumped and everyone sucks in a breath real quick expecting the flag,lol.
    Just curious man, but do you think that it would be an unlikely scenario for Oher to get better or improve?

I'm not meaning that to be disrespectful at all. I'm legitimately curious because I've heard several people claim what you're claiming, but for all intents and purposes his play - this year - is better than last year at RT and the year before at LT. So, there would be some reason to think that he has improved and can continue to improve.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just curious man, but do you think that it would be an unlikely scenario for Oher to get better or improve?

I'm not meaning that to be disrespectful at all. I'm legitimately curious because I've heard several people claim what you're claiming, but for all intents and purposes his play - this year - is better than last year at RT and the year before at LT. So, there would be some reason to think that he has improved and can continue to improve.
    With his work ethic he certainly can improve, as shown by his play this year. I'm not putting him down in Cousins land by any stretch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    With his work ethic he certainly can improve, as shown by his play this year. I'm not putting him down in Cousins land by any stretch.
    We don't need him to be a superstar, or JO... He just has to be decent, and I think he can become just that, and has been decent this year. It's just a case on whether or not he can do it on a consistent basis. Barely any teams have a LT that you can call elite, it's probably the most physically hardest position that you can play in sports. Even if Oher was elite, there would be no way we could keep him anyway, because some LT's are earning more than good QB's in this league.

Blog Entries

If you really look at the way Oher has performed when it's matter the most, the Steelers haven't always been able to rush all on him. In 2010 at Heinz Field, Joe Flacco was no sacked and that was with Oher at LT.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If you really look at the way Oher has performed when it's matter the most, the Steelers haven't always been able to rush all on him. In 2010 at Heinz Field, Joe Flacco was no sacked and that was with Oher at LT.
    Oher's problem always will be his mental capacity to play on the left side in the NFL, he has the physical TALENT, but I question his ability to diagnose what the defense is doing and what to do in order to prevent anything. That's something you cannot coach, but so far, he seems to have really improved mentally and isn't making as many mental errors. Most of his bad games this year (there haven't been all that many) have been against elite pass rushers on the road. I'd be willing to bet that every LT would have struggled with some of the pass rushers Oher's had to face this year.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Oher's problem always will be his mental capacity to play on the left side in the NFL, he has the physical TALENT, but I question his ability to diagnose what the defense is doing and what to do in order to prevent anything. That's something you cannot coach, but so far, he seems to have really improved mentally and isn't making as many mental errors. Most of his bad games this year (there haven't been all that many) have been against elite pass rushers on the road. I'd be willing to bet that every LT would have struggled with some of the pass rushers Oher's had to face this year.
    I agree with some of what your saying but I do think he has shown some improvement this season and I think he can improve his game exactly for the reason you said.... a lot of his issues are mental mistakes. Some players can fix em and others just never do. The fact he has shown a significant amount of improvement in that facet of the game compared to last year tells me he has the capacity to do so and thus hopefully will continue to do so.

Far as Reid or Williams. It kinda does not matter which starts. I would give them both reps in the first half and if one is clearly playing better than the other, thats the guy who will get the bulk in the second half. Pay for play so to speak.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

How can you quantify someone's mental capacity? In fact, how can you - or anyone - even make that claim. It's not like he's Dexter Manley and or something.

Penalties happen to lots of lineman. Joe Thomas and Jake Long get called for holding and false starts too. As others have pointed out, his penalties are down this year.

I just don't think it is right or fair to claim that Oher isn't intelligent enough to play the position.

Blog Entries

How can you quantify someone's mental capacity? In fact, how can you - or anyone - even make that claim. It's not like he's Dexter Manley and or something.

Penalties happen to lots of lineman. Joe Thomas and Jake Long get called for holding and false starts too. As others have pointed out, his penalties are down this year.

I just don't think it is right or fair to claim that Oher isn't intelligent enough to play the position.
    He's been having mental lapses playing there since high school and all through college despite how well he's played at times. It's like the strip sack back in 2010 fro the hair, Birk made the call for him to shift over to Troy, and he failed to do that.

But like I've said, he really seems to be improving on that area this year, so maybe I'm wrong.

Joe Thomas and Jake Long get called for holding and false starts too. As others have pointed out, his penalties are down this year.

I actually saw Jake Long get away with a very blatant false start the other night as well... as bad or worse then Oher gets away with on a weekly basis.

As to another above post... I was one that did not see a high likelyhood of Oher improving, but HE HAS. My opinion was in some part based on the fact that despite what the movie shows, he was VERY close to a finished product coming out of college, but the bulk of that was due to the fact that prior to this year, his best year had VERY CLEARLY been his rookie year, with 2 declining years after that. I still think he played better on the right as a rook then he has this year at LT, but the difference in difficulty allows me to say this is his best year yet as a tackle. I still think he tries to play liek a guard does, and would still prefer him to work on his hand punch and steering his opponent at arms length, but he has even imrpoved in that regard. He is still very vulnerable to the outside setup/inside spin move, but so are MANY LT's. He is passabel this year, and with continued improvement it wouldn't be a disaster if he were retained to play LT long term, but I still think he'd make a FAR better LG, and I still think that a suitable LT that plays like a LT would be an upgrade not impossible to find. He has improved his penalties, but honestly(and i don't watch in slow-mo so take with a grain of salt) I think he simply is getting less calls. I see, to my fullspeed closely watching eye, at least a coupel false starts a game he is getting away with.

Blog Entries

He's been having mental lapses playing there since high school and all through college despite how well he's played at times. It's like the strip sack back in 2010 fro the hair, Birk made the call for him to shift over to Troy, and he failed to do that.

But like I've said, he really seems to be improving on that area this year, so maybe I'm wrong.
    That was also 2 years ago and his first year at LT.

I'd like to think that he would recognize that now and make the play.

I'm not saying Oher is or ever will be anything more than an average tackle (right or left side). However, I don't think it is fair to basically say the guy is too stupid to play offensive tackle. As a guard, he would have to make adjustments and recognize different defensive fronts too.