Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jah Reid or Bobbie Williams?

Had he not gotten injured during training camp, Jah probably would've been starting anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Had he not gotten injured during training camp, Jah probably would've been starting anyway.
    Yep, we can't forget that when Grubbs signed with NO, Jah was declared the starting LG...
    it seemed a little bit like fantasy fiction, but we are seeing there was a lot of seriousness behind that comment.
    I'm currently thinking of him in a similar way I think of Adam Terry... that may change, after all he finally is healthy so we are now seeing on-field material.

Agree Bobbie was serviceable depth thats what he gave us when he could.

As a totally tangential piece of trivia on Adam Terry
    Colts released him, SD signed him for two games then cut him to make room for another ex-Raven Kelley Washington WR (11-4-2010)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Don't know what you be watching but oher is having his best year to date IMO.

Only five pens, 2 sacks and 15 hurries. It was 11, 10 and 43 last year. It was 13,9,28 the last time he played left tackle.

Marked improvement, give the guy credit. 2 sacks against the likes of ware, hali, Houston, babin, cole, watt, Barwin, etc is pretty exceptional in my opinion.
    Wow, that's some good numbers right there!
    I like it.
    And I think it is time for Reid to make his mark going forward at LG.
    Yes, Williams was brought in when we had so many injuries, they needed to make sure we had someone up front who knew what they were doing.

And a side note related the Oline...and the play design/calling...

I am sick of the stretch running play.
    All the linemen stand up and run across the field and defenders knife through on a regular basis and get to our RB before he gets a chance to turn up field.
    Let's run at them with all this beef and Leach. Rice needs just enough room to squeeze through and he is in the secondary.

Bobbie has had 3.5 times more snaps than Jah, but in Jah's 61 snaps, he has played okay considering IMO that he is largely still a rookie. PFF scored as a zero vs. OAK; he had a penalty which negated his positive run and pass blocking scores. He has no other negative scores on the books besides the penalty.

I'm pretty sure what Bobbie will give us vs. PIT. No idea with Jah, so I'm excited to see how he does. And we traded up to get this guy, so it's definitely time to see the payoff.

Blog Entries

Don't know what you be watching but oher is having his best year to date IMO.

Only five pens, 2 sacks and 15 hurries. It was 11, 10 and 43 last year. It was 13,9,28 the last time he played left tackle.

Marked improvement, give the guy credit. 2 sacks against the likes of ware, hali, Houston, babin, cole, watt, Barwin, etc is pretty exceptional in my opinion.
    Read what I wrote, I said he isn't a very good LT in this league. Is he doing remarkably better than in years past? Yep. Does that somehow give me confidence in the future? Nope not at all.

6. Re: Jah Reid or Bobbie Williams?

I just find it kind of funny how we have a tackle (Oher) whose size is more prototypical of a guard's and a guard (Reid) whose size is ideal for a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Left guard has been an undecided position all year and it's time to make a final decision on who should remain the starter. Jah Reid has finally got healthy and played well last week when he replaced Williams as the LG, Williams on the other hand is clearly really struggling with his ankle issues and his age... Reid is obviously much more athletic than Williams at this point in his career, and we need second level blocking in our run game if we want to get through this winter stretch running the ball effectively.
    All things being equal, I like to see an OL that's played together stay together. But all things aren't equal, as you point out. Youth and athleticism favor Reid. To stay on this roster Williams must have some locker room/mentor mojo. I remember him going out for the Opening Day coin toss as Offensive Capt., then Harewood starts (when did Ramon even get 1st team snaps @ LG??). Reid has gotten healthy and had a decent game vs. Oakland. He will help both Oher and Birk more than Williams has. Guys on here talking about moving KO to LG, Reid to RT, and McKinnie to LT - that's just too much change when we're facing these next 3 tough games. Gotta admit, kinda wondering why we're carrying so much "veteran depth" (Williams and McKinnie) on the OL. Compensating for our drinky OL coach? Or perhaps they were expecting McKinnie to be motivated by financial incentive, like it seemed they were trying to motivate Gaither by competion against Oher. I don't think a Gaither or McKinnie can be motivated in traditional Harbs ways. That's where Oher pulls ahead of other LT candidates of the Harbs era - on character issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Read what I wrote, I said he isn't a very good LT in this league. Is he doing remarkably better than in years past? Yep. Does that somehow give me confidence in the future? Nope not at all.
    "can't handle the elite pass rushers in the league. He's also a penalty machine."

You also said the above which I've proven isn't the case this year.

And for what it's worth, giving up two sacks through 9 games t me would say he's been a pretty good "left tackle in this league" thus far, this year.

"can't handle the elite pass rushers in the league. He's also a penalty machine."

And for what it's worth, giving up two sacks through 9 games t me would say he's been a pretty good "left tackle in this league" thus far, this year.
    ehhhh... are you watching or reading stats.
    He's played markedly better this year, but he's still not very good... at all.

To answer the OP, neither. I'm on the put McKinnie in the game and move one of the current tackles to guard groups...

Blog Entries

Ok thus far THIS YEAR he has done remarkably well comparatively, however my point still stands. He's been owned throughout his career and has statistically high penalties in his career. And to be honest, just by the "eyeball" test he should have at least another half dozen false starts, maybe more, but I know watching on TV or at the game he's jumped and everyone sucks in a breath real quick expecting the flag,lol.

I am probably the furthest thing from an OL expert, but my layman eyes say that Jah should start over Williams. In regards to Oher, he looks like an average LT in the NFL (which is pretty good).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I just find it kind of funny how we have a tackle (Oher) whose size is more prototypical of a guard's and a guard (Reid) whose size is ideal for a tackle.
    Sometimes guys just don't have the footwork to be perimeter blockers. Leonard Davis was a good example of this. Average tackle. Dallas signs him, moves him to guard, and he played on a pro bowl level.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 11-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.