Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

In all seriousness, if the circumstances hold up, I see a blowout in the works.

If it holds up (Not that I wish injury upon anybody) that Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown will be ruled out Sunday night, I see the Sunday Night game ending in a blowout.

Ben Roethlisberger is the largest portion of the issue, but not the only issue.

Dick LeBeau sets up his run defense in a way that there is usually one hole that can be broken through, if it is exploited by an offense. However, since Troy Polamalu is so explosive and reliable in run defense, LeBeau often uses Polamalu to plug that hole. More often than not, Troy Polamalu gets through that hole before the RB does.

Troy is now out. The last time the Ravens played that defense without him, Joe threw for two TDs that should have been three, if it weren't for Derrick Mason allowing a pass to bounce off of his facemask in the end zone (2009).

Troy's absence, in particular, is going to put Pittsburgh in a 'pick your poison' situation, where they will likely choose to make Flacco be that poison.

Now, not only could you be missing Troy's presence in run defense and in blitzing, but you could be missing Ryan Clark on the back end. This means that they'll be without both of their starting safeties, which will really effect the effectiveness of their blitzes. If they blitz with the safeties deep, Joe can hit the TEs. If they blitz with the safeties, Joe should have one on one over the top.

I will admit that Pittsburgh is getting better CB play these days. So, this is where Pittsburgh could hold up. I just don't see Ike Taylor being able to shut down Torrey Smith. Smith gave Taylor problems the last time these two teams played. I will say that Keenan Lewis could probably be effective against Jacoby Jones.

Joe Flacco is going against a team that he has now had some success against, in a venue where he has had success with more difficult circumstances. I don't think the Ravens normal road woes on offense will apply.

In all seriousness, I really think this will be a blowout.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: In all seriousness, if the circumstances hold up, I see a blowout in the works.

Even with all of that I have a hard time seeing a blowout. I think the Ravens will win, but it won't be a repeat of week 1 or the Oakland game.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: In all seriousness, if the circumstances hold up, I see a blowout in the works.

Remember, this is the #1 D in the NFL you are talking about; the Steelers have a solid run game; and 'road warriors' the Ravens are NOT!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

I think it is still somewhat of a tight game, maybe win by 10 atmost. I think while the O will do decent that Cam is not going to attempt to take to many risks with Steelers O not playing well, they didn't really play well prior to Ben getting injuried. I think the middle of the D is the weak spot and running to the right, KC with Charles was exploiting that with a dose of Hillis (Pierce in our case) up the middle for 4-5 gasher. I think Pitts D will try to play lights out in this game and take some risks because that is what is going to be the diference maker.

Blog Entries

I don't see a blowout at all. I think the Ravens will win, but it will be a relatively close game. At most a 10 point win. I say that because the Steelers defense is still very good, and they have been able to run the ball between the tackles, which is where the Ravens have been vulnerable all season. The question will be how much pressure can the Ravens put on Leftwich. If they can get to him, he will make mistakes, but if he has all day to throw the ball he should be able to do some damage.

Blog Entries

I have a feeling Rice will have a good day. They just need to run to Ziggy Hood's side. He has been absolutely terrible.

In all seriousness, you're grossly underestimating how difficult it is to win on the road. Even sans Ben, the Steelers aren't a walkover.

If it is a blowout, then I'll be cheering to the rafters... but I'll take any win, even a 1 point ugly win. Who cares.

I highly doubt it's a blow out. I still see it as a one score difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Remember, this is the #1 D in the NFL you are talking about; the Steelers have a solid run game; and 'road warriors' the Ravens are NOT!
    Their D is overratted and pending on what stat you are looking at SI.com has them at 7. Look who they have played... O ranks (**)
    Jets (24)
    Raiders (20) {L}
    Skins (11) can't even beat bad teams
    Eagles (29)
    Titans (19) {L}
    Chiefs (30)

The only 2 legit teams they played are the Broncos (2) {L} and Giants (9) {W} {on decline since the Skins game 2 weeks prior to playing Steelers} and (who are not looking good right now)

Not exactly world beater Offenses there.

If there is a game our D turns it around which it seems they have been the last 2 games it is this one.
    This might turn into a slober knocker if our O decides not to show up.
    EDIT 1:
    Stand By on these ranks SI ranks are by points per game, when I seen us ranked at 13 I had to look deeper.
    EDIT 2:
    Upon further review, just my O2, points allowed are more important than yards allowed per game. Yards don't mean shit if the team is not putting points on the board. If a team puts up 600 yards and kicks 4 FG's and you put up 200 yards and score 2 TD's guess who the winner is.... Take it for what it is.
    Last edited by Sua Sponte; 11-15-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Further stat review (SI looks like they go by points per game allowed)

I actually called this as a loss for us, despite the fact you make very good points, Excellector.

Our offense on the road looks like poop on fire half the time. Meanwhile, our defense is nothing to write home about either, and if the Steelers can run effectively, that will take a ton of pressure off Leftwich.

Would love to be wrong though.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I actually called this as a loss for us, despite the fact you make very good points, Excellector.

Our offense on the road looks like poop on fire half the time. Meanwhile, our defense is nothing to write home about either, and if the Steelers can run effectively, that will take a ton of pressure off Leftwich.

Would love to be wrong though.
    I called this game a loss for the Ravens as well, but that was before BR got hurt. Now, it is a very winnable game.

BTW, it loks like Mendenhall is starting at RB for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sunday-night/

Blog Entries

I don't see a blowout. Their defense is to disciplined, I could see a convincing victory like 28 -17.

The only way I see it as a blowout, is if their run game gets shut down. I expect a lot of running from them.