Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    ravens have the #1 defense in the league...



    ...in the redzone. Their td% in the rz is 35.1 (#1). steelers on the other hand are #19 at 55%. That's a stat i can buy into. And its not like the ravens have had much problems moving the ball on them in the past.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Red Zone defense is really underrated, we also get quite a lot of turnovers. I don't think this defense is as bad as many would think.




  3. #3

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Red Zone defense is really underrated, we also get quite a lot of turnovers. I don't think this defense is as bad as many would think.
    Pees said at the beginning of the year that he was only concerned about 3 stats:

    Points Scored - currently decent at 13th.
    Red Zone scoring percentage - 1st, excellent.
    3rd Down conversion percentage - 23rd (at over 40%), pretty poor.

    It is the classic "bend, don't break" D.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    It's a perfect example of bend but don't break. Tough for fans to accept after being treated to top quality defenses for so long. I'd like to see them do less bending though, that's for sure.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  5. #5

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Points scored is really the only stat that matters. Though it'd be nice to get off the field on third down once in awhile too.




  6. #6

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It's a perfect example of bend but don't break. Tough for fans to accept after being treated to top quality defenses for so long. I'd like to see them do less bending though, that's for sure.
    That goes right to the 3rd down conversion percentage. They simply cannot get the other team's offense off the field. They are not giving up big plays (their yds/play is right about average), but they are last in opponent's time of possession and 27th in total yards (which is actually an improvement from a few weeks ago).

    EDIT: Actually, when you think about, do you realize that the offense is scoring close to 30 points per-game (top 5 in the league) with the worst time of possession (a little under 27 minutes per game) in the league? I find that fairly amazing...




  7. #7

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Our 3rd down % is terrible... The Dallas and Texans games alone probably dropped us from the middle of the pack to the bottom. We were so close to getting to the QB on a lot of 3rd downs in a couple of those early game long drives, and just missed. With Suggs maybe 30-40% of those conversions could have been stops. I think we will improve in this category and get our D some rest on what has been long drives.
    Last edited by RedSkins Fury; 11-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.




  8. #8

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    EDIT: Actually, when you think about, do you realize that the offense is scoring close to 30 points per-game (top 5 in the league) with the worst time of possession (a little under 27 minutes per game) in the league? I find that fairly amazing...
    Fast scoring drives contribute to that stat, so it's not always a defining stat. KO returns for TD's don't help it either... I know it's not the whole story. But, when you open up the season leading in plays going for 25 yards a pop... you tend to not hold on to the ball for a long time.




  9. #9

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Fast scoring drives contribute to that stat, so it's not always a defining stat. KO returns for TD's don't help it either... I know it's not the whole story. But, when you open up the season leading in plays going for 25 yards a pop... you tend to not hold on to the ball for a long time.
    That is true to an extent, but they are pretty bad in their own 3rd down conversion rate. So it is also a problem of the offense not being able to sustain drives that is lowering the time of possession.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,380
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    The Patriots won a lot of Super Bowls allowing teams to move up and down the field until they got stuck in the redzone. This is a great stat for the Ravens.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,897
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great find hope they can keep it up
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #12

    Re: ravens have the #1 defense in the league...

    While you have to like the RZ # for the Defense, it's 3rd Down % which has been the biggest issue for the Defense. This was a team that held offenses to 32% last year 2nd in the NFL. If they don't start forcing offenses off the field at a rate more similar to last year's, I just don't think the "bend don't break" philosophy is going to hold against the better offenses they are about to face.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland