Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Prediction Thread - Ravens @ Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I will now make my prediction for the game now that Jen has been officially ruled out.

Despite what their stats say, the Steelers are far from the number 1 defense in the league. Part of their defensive success has been down to who they've played. As it stands, they have only played two championship calibre QB's, one who they were torched by in week 1 (Peyton), and the other who is not playing championship football right now, actually it's pretty below average football (Eli). The QB's that they have lost have been to average vets who are way past their primes (Hassleback, and Palmer). The Steelers strength on defense lies in their secondary. All three of their corners have been having good seasons, especially Cortez Allen in the slot, and both their safeties have been playing at a pro bowl level, and that's with the hair out. However, it looks like both their starting safeties (Ryan Clark, and Allen) will be out for this game, and that was really where their strength was. Their weakness despite popular belief is in their front 7.

Their pass rush has been inconsistent this year, Woodley has been having a stellar year, but his production has been effected because of the ineptitude of James Harrison, who is arguably having his worst year as a Steeler. The Steelers also have some serious issues on their Dline, much like ours, they cannot dominate the line of scrimmage. Casey Hampton has been terrible this year, along with Ziggy Hood, who may be the worst starting 5 technique in football right now. Brett Kiesel is the best player out of the three, but has been far from spectacular this year. Ziggy Hood, and Kiesel had decent games against KC, but it was going up against a weak interior Oline that is missing one or two starters. At LB, they have an absolute stud in Timmons, who is finally emerging as the best ILB in the AFCN, and has been having his best year as a pro. He will soon be in the same class as Patrick Willis, Brian Cushing, Novoro Bowman, and the likes. He can do it all, drop back in coverage, stuff the run, and bring inside blitz. IMO he is the best player on that defense, and we really need to find a way to take him out of the game, second level blocking has to be good, which is why we should start Reid at LG, or move KO inside for this one. Larry Foote is a servicable LB at best at this point, and looks better on highlight film because of who he's playing next to.

So with that said, here is how our offense should attack their D.

Up front, move Oher to the right side, and start McKinnie at LT. This may sound a bit crazy, but we could essentially neutralize the Steelers pass rushing presence from the left side with McKinnie who is our best pure OT in pass pro, and will completely dominate an under performing Harrison, who hasn't had the greatest of match ups against McKinnie in the past anyway. Oher provides much better pass pro than KO at this point on the right side, and I am slightly worried with KO matching up with Woodley, who has been very good this year. Moving KO inside would make our Oline much stronger, and I think would over power the under whelming Steelers Dline, even with the crowd noise, if our aim is to run the ball early.

Use Ray Rice and Pierce early and often, with Leach on the field for as many snaps as possible. We can run the ball on this D, they aren't all that great against the run, and haven't been since 2010. Adapt to the ZBS, and get this D on their heels to begin with, we need to get second level blocks from KO to take Timmons out of the game, and Yanda vs Ziggy is a complete miss match I am very much looking forward to. Hopefully after having success running the ball, and maybe taking some crowd noise away, we can start taking some shots down field, but we cannot afford to go one dimensional like we did in Houston, this is a very good pass defense, and will make us pay for uncreative routes and the usual BS you see from this offense on the road. We need to take some shots down the middle with Pitta and Boldin, because without Clark, and Allen, that is going to be a huge hole in their D. That's where I see most of the passing production coming from in this game, right down the middle, we need to be aware of Timmons too though as he is very solid in coverage.

With that said, my stat predictions are...

Flacco gets 2 TD's, a pick (by Ike Taylor), 220 yards. Finishes 19 for 30. He will be sacked 3 times, two by Woodley, and one by Timmons

Rice runs for 102 yards on 22 carries, Pierce gets 6 runs for 30 yards.

Boldin goes for 65 yards on 6 catches, Pitta gets 7 catches for 70 yards, Torrey Smith gets a TD and 3 receptions for 50 yards, Jacoby gets a TD with a 15 yard reception, and Rice gets two receptions for 20 yards. We score 20 points, and get 353 yards of total offense. Tucker gets two FG's, one from 40, one from 25.

Now onto their offense, and our defense.

The Steelers have improved drastically of late up front, their Oline has now become one of their main strengths. Mike Adams has stepped up as a good run blocking RT, and the Steelers interior line is now among the best in the league with Colon and Pouncey playing well together. Max Starks is their main weakness, and he's playing on the left side, so Suggs will hopefully have a good day as he has had in the past vs Starks. Kruger and Upshaw vs Adams should be interesting.

The Steelers are running a commitee of backs this year, featuring Dwyer and Redman, two big strong backs, that don't offer much other than pounding the ball up the middle (which they've done well this year so far.). Our Dline is going to have to step up in this one, as our main weakness has been stopping the run up the middle. Terrence Cody played well last week, and we need more of the same from him. Most of the Steelers success up the middle is down to Colon and Pouncey, who have been opening up some big holes for Redmand and Dwyer, we need to make sure we stop that, as the Steelers will be running the ball a ton of times with big Jen out. Leftwich is not going to be throwing all that much. The Steelers have a very talented receiving core, even without Antonio Brown, they are going to beat our secondary more times than not now that we are down to our last options with so many injuries there. Cary Williams has been playing well lately, and will hopefully continue to do so, but outside of him, I am very worred about how the likes of Chykie Brown, and Corey Grahame will fair against the likes of Mike Wallace and Sanders. The good news is that Leftwich will be throwing them the ball, and I don't expect him to be throwing all that often anyway, he is best throwing it down field with his strong but slow release, but Todd Haily likes short and quick passes, which is just not his game. It is going to allow us to essentially stack the box, and overload on blitzes, don't be surprised to see Pollard spend 90 % of the game roaming around the box and coming up in run support.

In order to stop the Steelers offense, IMO we should do the following basic gameplan....

Stack the box early on, with even 9 men at times, the Steelers are going to be running the ball more than usual. I wont be surprised to see something crazy like over 35 carries between Dwyer and Redman. Leftwich can't escape the pocket, and that's the key in this game IMO, once the pocket breaks down, I can see Suggs getting to him often and will get one or two sacks. We need to overload blitz against them, and pretty much challenge Leftwich to throw the ball and try to win the game off his arm. It's just a question on whether or not we will be able to stop the run.

And the stats...

Leftwich will throw 2 picks to Cary Williams, and Reed. He will go for 200 yards, with no TD's. He will be sacked 4 times, and will lose a fumble.

Redman will pick up 60 yards on 17 carries, Dwyer will get 90 on 20 carries and a rushing TD.

The Steelers will score 10 points on us, with a TD and two FG's. Picking up 350 total yards of offense.

Suggs will get two sacks going up against Max Starks, Kruger and Ellerbe get a sack each. Reed and Williams get an interception each, and Ngata will cause a fumble which will be recovered by DeAngelo Tyson.

Final score- 20-13 Ravens.
    Well.......Now that this game is over, on to San Diego
    Ravens 25
    San Diego 17

Blog Entries

wheres that "how does this team get to 10 wins" thread. Looks more and more easy each week. im now thinking anything under 12-4 may be a bit of a disappointment. the only team that looks imposing is the broncos, luckily we get them at home. SD will be a tough game across the country, but theyve not been playing very well. It wouldnt shock me if we ran the table honestly, and thats with our flaws.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    wheres that "how does this team get to 10 wins" thread. Looks more and more easy each week. im now thinking anything under 12-4 may be a bit of a disappointment. the only team that looks imposing is the broncos, luckily we get them at home. SD will be a tough game across the country, but theyve not been playing very well. It wouldnt shock me if we ran the table honestly, and thats with our flaws.
    If we run the table from here for the regular season, we're winning a Lombardi in February. If this team gets going, it won't be stopped in the playoffs.

Hell, if we go unbeaten in November, it's a pretty good omen. We've only ever done it once despite all our winning seasons - 2000.
    Last edited by Tyrian; 11-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Ugly football per usual.
    Ravens 17
    Steelers 13
    Correction on second thought as game nears

Steelers/Referees 20
    Ravens 17

I look at three things...The ravens haven't lost in Pittsburgh since 2009....Since Ben came into the league, the Steelers haven't beaten the Ravens without him under center....and for as bad as some people think the Ravens on the road, in the last 2 seasons + this years trip to the Cleveland, the Ravens are 6-1 in AFCN road games....last loss was the 2nd game of 2010 at Cincinnati.....

ravens 24 steelers 14...............

Blog Entries

Ravens 27
    Stoolers 13

Ravens 24
    Steelers 16

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I agree, the rest of the schedule is deceiving, and not as bad as some people are making it out to be. We get the under performing Giants and the high flying Broncos at home two weeks in a row after this stretch which many people would think on paper we should go 3-0 over it (assuming Jen is out for the second game too).

Then our next 3 games are tougher tbf, Broncos will be very hard to beat, but we can certainly beat them at our place, we have looked like arguably the best team in the NFL at home this year (again). A tough one against the Giants, who always seem to get hot down that last stretch, but I think we should be able to beat them too, then you got what may be IMO the more tougher of the three, Cincy on the road, but certainly a very winnable game. I can see us losing one of those games, maybe Cincy on the road, especially if we rest our starters if there is nothing to play for. There is a slight chance that despite our flaws, we could go dare I say it, unbeaten running up to the play offs, but more likely 13-3, or 12-4 losing maybe to the Chargers and the Broncos at home.

Blog Entries

As much as it pains me, I will say

24-16 in favor of the Ravens.

Flacco has played well the last few times out at Heinze Field. If this Ravens offense can figure out what has been ailing them on the road they are going to be murder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree, the rest of the schedule is deceiving, and not as bad as some people are making it out to be. We get the under performing Giants and the high flying Broncos at home two weeks in a row after this stretch which many people would think on paper we should go 3-0 over it (assuming Jen is out for the second game too).

Then our next 3 games are tougher tbf, Broncos will be very hard to beat, but we can certainly beat them at our place, we have looked like arguably the best team in the NFL at home this year (again). A tough one against the Giants, who always seem to get hot down that last stretch, but I think we should be able to beat them too, then you got what may be IMO the more tougher of the three, Cincy on the road, but certainly a very winnable game. I can see us losing one of those games, maybe Cincy on the road, especially if we rest our starters if there is nothing to play for. There is a slight chance that despite our flaws, we could go dare I say it, unbeaten running up to the play offs, but more likely 13-3, or 12-4 losing maybe to the Chargers and the Broncos at home.
    exactly how i see it. Chances are we lose at least 1 of the remaining games, maybe 2 (i lean towards Cin and DEN as well)... which means 12-4. If we do run the table, which doesnt seem outrageous, we could be looking at home field throughout. hopefully the boys realize thats still a possibility. after all, we do look like the best team in football at home. Id be surprised if we dont get a first round bye, at the least.
    -JAB

Regardless if Roethlisberger and Polomalu are playing or not, I still think this is going to be a very tough game for the Ravens. I think they're able to pull out a squeaker 20 - 17.
    Last edited by palukaraven; 11-16-2012 at 11:01 AM.

In order of importance, six factors 'at stake' for the Ravens Sunday night on NBC:

1. Opportunity to demonstrate team (defense, offense) is ready to defend division crown.
    2. Advantage due to key starters out for Steelers.
    3. Opportunity to set up division first tiebreaker (season-series sweep).
    4. Two-game winning streak against Steelers.
    5. Eleven-game winning streak against AFC North opponents.
    6. Overall two-game winning streak.

Ravens are 4-0 against Steelers in games Roethlisberger has missed (since 2004). The four were decided by 3, 6, 3 and 3 points (according to records at www.pro-football-reference.com). The most recent was in Pittsburgh (17-14 in 2010).

The most important prerequisites for a Ravens win:

- 'Show up' as a team; play 60 minutes.
    - Keep their composure; keep mistakes to a minimum.
    - Stop the running game;
    - Win the time-of-possession battle.
    - Win the turnovers battle.

BALT 23
    PITT 20

NOTE: This is my first score prediction which contradicts my game-by-game season prediction for the Ravens. So far, I am 9-0 in predicting win/loss for the Ravens this year. I predicted a Ravens loss in Week 11 at Pittsburgh but, given the Steelers' injuries status, I am predicting a win instead.
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 11-18-2012 at 05:05 AM.