Blog Entries

IMO, this is the defense I'd go with playing the Steelers.

The Steelers have had incredible success recently running up the middle, and that is where our biggest weakness on defense lies, which of course has always been pretty much the strength of our D. Terrence Cody and Kemo are going to get killed if the Steelers play the run like they've been doing recently, and it's all up the middle. I'm actually confident about our run defense from the edges with Suggs, Upshaw, and McClellan, but we seriously need to address the middle which could get hugely exploited.

I say we play Ngata at NT and bench Kemo/Cody, while playing a rotation between McPhee (if healthy), Tyson, and A Jones at RE and LE. Put Upshaw and Suggs in their natural positions, Upshaw can rotate with McClellan (who is a very good edge setter), and bring Kruger in for 3rd downs as a pure pass rusher nothing else. Infact, I'd go with a 4 man line of Suggs, Upshaw, Kruger, and Ngata on 3rd downs, which is going to bring some pressure. Line Suggs and Ngata on the left end of the defense on 3rd downs to exploit the weakness of that Steelers line on the right side, going up against the rookie Mike Adams.

Personally I still want to see McClellan start in one of the ILB positions, but the coaching staff is obviously not going to do that at this point, so just put McClain and Ellerbe there and hope McClain can have a decent game. We all know what the secondary is going to be (providing Jimmy Smith is healthy), but I'd replace Grahame with Chykie Brown for the nickel corner position.

So basically this is the front 7 I'd go with...

Arthur Jones-Ngata-Tyson

Suggs-Ellerbe-McClain-Upshaw/McClellan

On 3rd downs....
    Suggs-Ngata-Upshaw-Kruger

Ellerbe/McClellan (blitzing strong side/contain)-Bernard Pollard-Chykie Brown (Nikel)

Take McClain out as he is terrible in coverage, and bring in Pollard covering Heath Miller while bringing Brown in as the nickel corner. Cory Grahame can come in as the extra safety. Ellerbe is very effective as a blitzer, so that's what I'd have him do on 3rd downs for 5 man blitzes, and bring in McClellan to help contain Roethlisberger in the pocket.

This is just a fans view, I'm sure, and I hope the coaching staff know something better to put out in order to beat the Steelers. It's going to be a huge game, but for now, I will be rooting for the Chiefs big time tonight.

Blog Entries

Re: IMO, this is the defense I'd go with playing the Steelers.

Cody looked better yesterday than I've seen all year. He was keeping the blocker off his body and getting lower. I didn't see his arms over his head once. He made a couple of nice tackles in the trenches, holding the blocker off of him and sliding over into the gap to make the tackle.

He's still not doing enough, though. He needs to command two blockers, and he's not getting that done. The number of tackles he makes is almost irrelevant: it's how many blockers does the offense have to commit to him that matters. The more he and Ngata command, the fewer are available to get to the second level.

Did you notice we saw a 1st Quarter blitz yesterday? I about fell over. Maybe Pees's balls dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Steelers have had incredible success recently running up the middle, and that is where our biggest weakness on defense lies, which of course has always been pretty much the strength of our D. Terrence Cody and Kemo are going to get killed if the Steelers play the run like they've been doing recently, and it's all up the middle. I'm actually confident about our run defense from the edges with Suggs, Upshaw, and McClellan, but we seriously need to address the middle which could get hugely exploited.

I say we play Ngata at NT and bench Kemo/Cody, while playing a rotation between McPhee (if healthy), Tyson, and A Jones at RE and LE. Put Upshaw and Suggs in their natural positions, Upshaw can rotate with McClellan (who is a very good edge setter), and bring Kruger in for 3rd downs as a pure pass rusher nothing else. Infact, I'd go with a 4 man line of Suggs, Upshaw, Kruger, and Ngata on 3rd downs, which is going to bring some pressure. Line Suggs and Ngata on the left end of the defense on 3rd downs to exploit the weakness of that Steelers line on the right side, going up against the rookie Mike Adams.

Personally I still want to see McClellan start in one of the ILB positions, but the coaching staff is obviously not going to do that at this point, so just put McClain and Ellerbe there and hope McClain can have a decent game. We all know what the secondary is going to be (providing Jimmy Smith is healthy), but I'd replace Grahame with Chykie Brown for the nickel corner position.

So basically this is the front 7 I'd go with...

Arthur Jones-Ngata-Tyson

Suggs-Ellerbe-McClain-Upshaw/McClellan

On 3rd downs....
    Suggs-Ngata-Upshaw-Kruger

Ellerbe/McClellan (blitzing strong side/contain)-Bernard Pollard-Chykie Brown (Nikel)

Take McClain out as he is terrible in coverage, and bring in Pollard covering Heath Miller while bringing Brown in as the nickel corner. Cory Grahame can come in as the extra safety. Ellerbe is very effective as a blitzer, so that's what I'd have him do on 3rd downs for 5 man blitzes, and bring in McClellan to help contain Roethlisberger in the pocket.

This is just a fans view, I'm sure, and I hope the coaching staff know something better to put out in order to beat the Steelers. It's going to be a huge game, but for now, I will be rooting for the Chiefs big time tonight.
    Personally I want the Steelers to destroy the Chiefs that way the media will hype them up all week and give the Ravens no shot at winning on Sunday Night (just like November last year when the Ravens barely beat Arizona, the Steelers beat New England and the media crowned the Steelers the team to beat in the AFC the week prior to playing the Ravens at home).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    Personally I want the Steelers to destroy the Chiefs that way the media will hype them up all week and give the Ravens no shot at winning on Sunday Night (just like November last year when the Ravens barely beat Arizona, the Steelers beat New England and the media crowned the Steelers the team to beat in the AFC the week prior to playing the Ravens at home).
    and Gruden can slobber over Ben the whole game; itll happen

I have a good feeling that the Ravens defense, if they can avoid further injury setbacks AND get their 'walking wounded' sufficiently recovered, are going to finish this season strong - players and coaches. They could end up surprising a lot of folks, including their fans, even without Webb and Lewis.

They have already surrendered 196 points, but I don't think it is too unrealistic to see them give up less than 300 for the season. They have never before entered the postseason with 300+ in points allowed. In any case, don't forget that the Giants won the Super Bowl after surrendering 400 points last season!

It is a hallmark of Harbaugh's teams in Baltimore that they always have shown steady improvement as the season progresses - even with injuries.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    It is a hallmark of Harbaugh's teams in Baltimore that they always have shown steady improvement as the season progresses - even with injuries.
    True. They even managed to get positive contributions from Walker and Washington.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    and Gruden can slobber over Ben the whole game; itll happen
    It started early. It's hard to understand what he's saying with his mouth full of....I hope that's spit, anyway...