Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

special teams look great

the last couple of years we had zibby returning kicks. the guy was slow and had no moves. the best you could hope for was to get to the 30 yard line. now we have jones who if he gets a seem he can get good yardage.

on coverage, anthony allen may have been a dissapointment in his second year as a running back but is a beast on coverage.

ihedigbo was a great pickup and is a very good ST cover guy.

Blog Entries

Re: special teams look great

Jones is the first player (if I heard this right) to return two 105+ yard kickoffs for a TD in the same year. Hope he has a couple more in him! ;)

Jones is doing exactly what the Ravens brought him in for. He has kicked started the return game, is a threat to score in many situations and makes some good grabs in the receiving game.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

IIRC, the concern I read on this forum when Jones' acquisition was announced was mostly focused on his inability to catch passes (as a WR) and fumbles. Would it be a fair assessment at this point to say he's been one of Ozzie's better personnel moves? The Ravens seem to do a lot of their roster construction based upon the draft, and cherry pick what they can from FA and an occasional trade (I guess I could add "attempt"!) Jones appears to be working out as a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    IIRC, the concern I read on this forum when Jones' acquisition was announced was mostly focused on his inability to catch passes (as a WR) and fumbles. Would it be a fair assessment at this point to say he's been one of Ozzie's better personnel moves? The Ravens seem to do a lot of their roster construction based upon the draft, and cherry pick what they can from FA and an occasional trade (I guess I could add "attempt"!) Jones appears to be working out as a success.
    From someone who questioned Jones' hands early after he was hired and in the pre-season (that would be moi), I admit I was wrong. Looks like a really good pickup to me as I mentioned in my first comment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jones is the first player (if I heard this right) to return two 105+ yard kickoffs for a TD in the same year. Hope he has a couple more in him! ;)
    I thought they said he was the only player to ever have multiple kick return td's of 105+ yards?

Maybe I heard that wrong.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I thought they said he was the only player to ever have multiple kick return td's of 105+ yards?

Maybe I heard that wrong.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I heard it that way as well. Multiple 105+ yards returns within a season

Allen always seems to be in the middle of things on kick coverage. It's probably why he still has a job.

Blog Entries

People who have doubted Jacoby Jones as a pass catching receiver, he still has ZERO drops on the year per PFF.

☑ Accurate Kicker (17 for 18)
    ☑ Strong Kicker (4/4 50+, 56 Lng)
    ☑ Good Punter
    ☑ Explosive Kickoff Return Game (2TD, #1 Average Return)
    ☑ Good Coverage (#12 on Kickoffs, #7 on Punts)

I think this might be the best special teams group we've ever fielded. The only thing that's lacking is the punt returns.

Jones has been a great pickup. He's confidence returning KOs is so high. Yesterday I had a feeling he would take one to the house, told my coworkers he would. He was so anxious to return one, like he saw that the Raiders ST was playing poor coverage. The KO before his return he tried to bring out of the endzone but his heel was on the line.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

It's pretty remarkable to go from bottom 3 to top 3 in special teams in 1 season. Ihedigbo, Considine and Allen may not be exciting but they've been extremely valuable. Corey Graham was a great pick up too.

It's not as noticeable, but the kick coverage unit has also been outstanding.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk