Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

it's not unusual at all for teams to abandon no huddle and play differently on the road. SiriusNFL did a segment on it two days ago. I can go nuts on the playcalls as well as anyone but last week was all Joe, he just went into a funk. Luckily he played well early and we hung on for the win

Cool Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it's not unusual at all for teams to abandon no huddle and play differently on the road. SiriusNFL did a segment on it two days ago. I can go nuts on the playcalls as well as anyone but last week was all Joe, he just went into a funk. Luckily he played well early and we hung on for the win
    Not really. He was throwing on third and long all day mostly due to failed first and second down runs. The browns rushed four, played tight man and bracketed Pitta and sometimes Boldin forcing most passes outside. Any first down pass would have to be a perfect throw.

He made a couple of bad decisions but he also gave Torrey a good chance on a long ball and had a couple Dickson drops.

The entire offense was in a funk. First off, play calling. Secondly, player execution.

Tom Brady wouldn't be nearly as good if he was only throwing on third and long.

It's been 4 and a half years.

This offense is not consistent enough doing the basics on the road to opine that we should act like the damn Patriots 24/7.

When they can go on the road and do basic things like...the OL picking up simple stunts, or not letting blitzers run free while having lineman stand there not doing anything (or hell, hold off a basic 4 man rush)...or WR's that can actually run good routes, and CATCH the ball when it is thrown to them...or the QB making accurate throws when things around him aren't perfect.

If you can't do those things in the passing game even when you are running the ball and making the defense adjust and account for the run, what the hell makes anybody think we should just go balls to the walls throwing all over the place and running a hurry up offense?

When the OL actually blocks someone, WR's get open and catch the ball, and the QB doesn't look flustered when things aren't going right around him...on a consistent basis, THEN you can expand the offense and do more.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Because they ditched it, due to 'communication' issues, only to resort back to their ever predictable 'run run pass' offense of old, which is what they've done for past three years (Every time they've tried to open up the passing offense, at least) EVERY TIME THE PASSING OFFENSE STRUGGLES ON THE ROAD. Instead of trying to tweak some things to fix the problems, they just go, 'Oh, Joe can't handle it, let's just run Ray Rice into the ground'.

That's why you haven't seen this offense on the road. When they finally wake up and realize that Joe is going to have to throw them to a Super Bowl, they'll figure it out.
    Sure, let's go ahead try to fix it, but when it doesn't work on the road because we're working out the kinks, Nobody is allowed to complain about losing. Deal?
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    How do you address that? No idea.
    Better offensive lineman.

Also, that's where the lack of communication comes into play. Oline presnap communication for picking up rushers is a whole different animal on the road.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

6. Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

Here's a theory for you: At home the OL moves at the sound of Flacco's call & keeps its heads up & aware, whereas the opposing defense moves when they see the ball snapped. On the road the OL moves when they see Birk snap the ball, which means they're looking down the line & moving (at best) at the same time as the players they need to block or separate from. The half-second differential turns a top-5 offense into a clusterfuck. How do you address that? No idea.
    This, plus when the passing offense isn't working initially, Cam almost always goes into a shell (run, run, pass, punt--3 and out, 3 and out) and when that happens the offensive players often stop playing with confidence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    What do you mean by "this offense"? I think they do run this offense at home and on the road. The difference today was that Joe had all kinds of time to throw the ball. The receivers got separation. Oakland made many mistakes in coverage. The running game was effective enough to make the play action work.

So in summary, the offense hasn't changed at all. When the players execute it works well, when they don't it can look pretty bad. And it really works well when your opponnent sucks.
    It was more than just that. Play selection is a big part of it. Against the Raiders, we saw the Ravens come out the gate running, with Flacco hitting Boldin to keep the chains moving. That's how the Coryell system works. Pound the rock, throw when you must to get first downs, and when the defense creeps up you put it over their heads.

Cam, especially the last two years, keeps trying to flip that backwards. He tries even harder on the road.

The most successful offense running the Coryell system was the '91 Redskins. Byner would pound it up the middle, Rypien would hit Monk for first downs, and then Sanders deep when the defense gave it to them. The Redskins did it consistently throughout Gibbs's first tenure as head coach, and had three Super Bowl victories to show for it.

It's not a bad system, but it doesn't work backwards. You don't come out throwing it deep and work your way back to running the ball, because if throwing it deep doesn't work you find yourself compelled to keep throwing it deep.

Flacco's passes to Boldin in the first quarter helped him get into rhythm. There were a number of plays yesterday where he beat the blitz more than the blocking scheme eating it up. He dropped back and threw quickly. That happened because he and the receivers were clicking: they'd developed a rhythm in the game that made him comfortable. You don't develop that rhythm chucking the rock down the field. You get it with slants and 5-10 yard patterns that move the chains. Hopefully Harbaugh is looking at Cameron today and saying "More of this."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    This, plus when the passing offense isn't working initially, Cam almost always goes into a shell (run, run, pass, punt--3 and out, 3 and out) and when that happens the offensive players often stop playing with confidence.
    What? I don't think so. Cam goes into a shell alright, and the result seems to be three-and-outs more often than not, but it's not "run, run, pass, punt." It's "pass, pass, pass, punt." Sometimes he gets tricky and it's "pass, run, pass, punt," but when the early reliance on the deep ball doesn't work, Cam keeps trying to force it. It's almost like he's an old man who has hit the gas peddle instead of the brake, and he's desperately pushing it harder hoping doing so will stop the car...

Blog Entries

I think you were looking for the "Blindly Optimistic Homer" forum--I think it's a couple of clicks down.
    How can I blindly be optimistic at 7-2? There comes a point in time when people need to accept that this team while flawed on both sides of the ball, does enough to win most of their games.

10. Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    What? I don't think so. Cam goes into a shell alright, and the result seems to be three-and-outs more often than not, but it's not "run, run, pass, punt." It's "pass, pass, pass, punt." Sometimes he gets tricky and it's "pass, run, pass, punt," but when the early reliance on the deep ball doesn't work, Cam keeps trying to force it. It's almost like he's an old man who has hit the gas peddle instead of the brake, and he's desperately pushing it harder hoping doing so will stop the car...
    Actually, we're both right.

You described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens fall behind.
    I described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens have a lead.
    (I guess I had the Browns game still fresh in my mind. Since that was the last game the offense floundered--at least for about half the game)

So, in the example I gave, of the passing game not working, if it happens before the Ravens take the lead, Cam does NOT tend to go run-run-pass-punt. As you said, instead he'll abandon the run and go pass-pass-pass.

But if the passing game stops working after the Ravens have taken a lead (or even if it hasn't) then he WILL often go run-run-pass-punt.

And your analogy of an old man hitting the gas instead of the brakes is spot on.
    That's our Cam alright.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Way to downplay a 55 point victory and going 7-2 at home. I expect nothing less here though.
    you need a grip on reality. Yes, we won 55-20, but against one of the worst defenses in the league and at home where we are a completely different team. Nobody is questioning this teams performance at home, but everyone is questioning it on the road.

Until this offense can play similar on the road to how they do at home, we will never make the superbowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    you need a grip on reality. Yes, we won 55-20, but against one of the worst defenses in the league and at home where we are a completely different team. Nobody is questioning this teams performance at home, but everyone is questioning it on the road.

Until this offense can play similar on the road to how they do at home, we will never make the superbowl.
    I do have a grip on reality we are 7-2, and are 2-2 on the road. The only person who needs to get a grip on reality is you, you need to know that this is the NFL, not Madden, we aren't going to win every game, winning in the NFL is a very hard thing to do especially on the road. This team do need to improve on the road so we can have the best record possible going into the play offs for home field, but don't forget that a certain 9-7 team went on to win the SB last year when nobody expected it, and the year before that a 10-6 Green Bay team done pretty much the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, this is a great record to have for such a flawed team.