Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
Actually, we're both right.

You described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens fall behind.
I described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens have a lead.
(I guess I had the Browns game still fresh in my mind. Since that was the last game the offense floundered--at least for about half the game)

So, in the example I gave, of the passing game not working, if it happens before the Ravens take the lead, Cam does NOT tend to go run-run-pass-punt. As you said, instead he'll abandon the run and go pass-pass-pass.

But if the passing game stops working after the Ravens have taken a lead (or even if it hasn't) then he WILL often go run-run-pass-punt.

And your analogy of an old man hitting the gas instead of the brakes is spot on.
That's our Cam alright.
I don't mind run-run-pass, especially early in the game or when we have a good lead. The problem isn't the run-run-pass, it's the run-run-throw it deep down the sideline play selection, especially early in games, but even when we have a lead. Flacco needs to hear the words "throw it to Boldin" before he trots on the field every time. Whenever we need to get a drive and he throws it to Boldin, we start moving the chains. That's how we clawed back to win at home against Arizona last year. That's how the game-winning drive started against the Browns. Run the ball, and throw it to Boldin.

That's how the Coryell is designed to work, and Cam's insistence on trying to go backwards down the play chart is what stalls this offense.