Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?



    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    What do you mean by "this offense"? I think they do run this offense at home and on the road. The difference today was that Joe had all kinds of time to throw the ball. The receivers got separation. Oakland made many mistakes in coverage. The running game was effective enough to make the play action work.

    So in summary, the offense hasn't changed at all. When the players execute it works well, when they don't it can look pretty bad. And it really works well when your opponnent sucks.
    It was more than just that. Play selection is a big part of it. Against the Raiders, we saw the Ravens come out the gate running, with Flacco hitting Boldin to keep the chains moving. That's how the Coryell system works. Pound the rock, throw when you must to get first downs, and when the defense creeps up you put it over their heads.

    Cam, especially the last two years, keeps trying to flip that backwards. He tries even harder on the road.

    The most successful offense running the Coryell system was the '91 Redskins. Byner would pound it up the middle, Rypien would hit Monk for first downs, and then Sanders deep when the defense gave it to them. The Redskins did it consistently throughout Gibbs's first tenure as head coach, and had three Super Bowl victories to show for it.

    It's not a bad system, but it doesn't work backwards. You don't come out throwing it deep and work your way back to running the ball, because if throwing it deep doesn't work you find yourself compelled to keep throwing it deep.

    Flacco's passes to Boldin in the first quarter helped him get into rhythm. There were a number of plays yesterday where he beat the blitz more than the blocking scheme eating it up. He dropped back and threw quickly. That happened because he and the receivers were clicking: they'd developed a rhythm in the game that made him comfortable. You don't develop that rhythm chucking the rock down the field. You get it with slants and 5-10 yard patterns that move the chains. Hopefully Harbaugh is looking at Cameron today and saying "More of this."




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    This, plus when the passing offense isn't working initially, Cam almost always goes into a shell (run, run, pass, punt--3 and out, 3 and out) and when that happens the offensive players often stop playing with confidence.
    What? I don't think so. Cam goes into a shell alright, and the result seems to be three-and-outs more often than not, but it's not "run, run, pass, punt." It's "pass, pass, pass, punt." Sometimes he gets tricky and it's "pass, run, pass, punt," but when the early reliance on the deep ball doesn't work, Cam keeps trying to force it. It's almost like he's an old man who has hit the gas peddle instead of the brake, and he's desperately pushing it harder hoping doing so will stop the car...




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I think you were looking for the "Blindly Optimistic Homer" forum--I think it's a couple of clicks down.
    How can I blindly be optimistic at 7-2? There comes a point in time when people need to accept that this team while flawed on both sides of the ball, does enough to win most of their games.




  4. #34

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    What? I don't think so. Cam goes into a shell alright, and the result seems to be three-and-outs more often than not, but it's not "run, run, pass, punt." It's "pass, pass, pass, punt." Sometimes he gets tricky and it's "pass, run, pass, punt," but when the early reliance on the deep ball doesn't work, Cam keeps trying to force it. It's almost like he's an old man who has hit the gas peddle instead of the brake, and he's desperately pushing it harder hoping doing so will stop the car...
    Actually, we're both right.

    You described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens fall behind.
    I described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens have a lead.
    (I guess I had the Browns game still fresh in my mind. Since that was the last game the offense floundered--at least for about half the game)

    So, in the example I gave, of the passing game not working, if it happens before the Ravens take the lead, Cam does NOT tend to go run-run-pass-punt. As you said, instead he'll abandon the run and go pass-pass-pass.

    But if the passing game stops working after the Ravens have taken a lead (or even if it hasn't) then he WILL often go run-run-pass-punt.

    And your analogy of an old man hitting the gas instead of the brakes is spot on.
    That's our Cam alright.




  5. #35

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Way to downplay a 55 point victory and going 7-2 at home. I expect nothing less here though.
    you need a grip on reality. Yes, we won 55-20, but against one of the worst defenses in the league and at home where we are a completely different team. Nobody is questioning this teams performance at home, but everyone is questioning it on the road.

    Until this offense can play similar on the road to how they do at home, we will never make the superbowl.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    you need a grip on reality. Yes, we won 55-20, but against one of the worst defenses in the league and at home where we are a completely different team. Nobody is questioning this teams performance at home, but everyone is questioning it on the road.

    Until this offense can play similar on the road to how they do at home, we will never make the superbowl.
    I do have a grip on reality we are 7-2, and are 2-2 on the road. The only person who needs to get a grip on reality is you, you need to know that this is the NFL, not Madden, we aren't going to win every game, winning in the NFL is a very hard thing to do especially on the road. This team do need to improve on the road so we can have the best record possible going into the play offs for home field, but don't forget that a certain 9-7 team went on to win the SB last year when nobody expected it, and the year before that a 10-6 Green Bay team done pretty much the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, this is a great record to have for such a flawed team.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Actually, we're both right.

    You described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens fall behind.
    I described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens have a lead.
    (I guess I had the Browns game still fresh in my mind. Since that was the last game the offense floundered--at least for about half the game)

    So, in the example I gave, of the passing game not working, if it happens before the Ravens take the lead, Cam does NOT tend to go run-run-pass-punt. As you said, instead he'll abandon the run and go pass-pass-pass.

    But if the passing game stops working after the Ravens have taken a lead (or even if it hasn't) then he WILL often go run-run-pass-punt.

    And your analogy of an old man hitting the gas instead of the brakes is spot on.
    That's our Cam alright.
    I don't mind run-run-pass, especially early in the game or when we have a good lead. The problem isn't the run-run-pass, it's the run-run-throw it deep down the sideline play selection, especially early in games, but even when we have a lead. Flacco needs to hear the words "throw it to Boldin" before he trots on the field every time. Whenever we need to get a drive and he throws it to Boldin, we start moving the chains. That's how we clawed back to win at home against Arizona last year. That's how the game-winning drive started against the Browns. Run the ball, and throw it to Boldin.

    That's how the Coryell is designed to work, and Cam's insistence on trying to go backwards down the play chart is what stalls this offense.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,676
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    How can I blindly be optimistic at 7-2? There comes a point in time when people need to accept that this team while flawed on both sides of the ball, does enough to win most of their games.
    Oh, dear me, Beast, there also comes a time when people need to realize that this team has had many good things handed to them on silver platters by their opponents, e.g., Palmer getting tripped by his own guard on that early 4th down play. Not that I'm complaining about it--I just think it's nutz to expect that to continue. I have trouble seeing how we get to 10 wins without catching a few more (maybe more than a few more) breaks along the way, & while the Law of Averages is only valid over a lot longer stretch than a football season, things do have a way of regressing to the mean--i.e., evening out.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Oh, dear me, Beast, there also comes a time when people need to realize that this team has had many good things handed to them on silver platters by their opponents...
    That's what I kept saying the year Big Ben won his second Super Bowl. They kept getting breaks, and Roethlisberger kept playing with fire- that is, taking snaps behind that porous O-line.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland