Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 263

Thread: Guns...

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Guns...



    I am for the reciprocity act in spirit, but I don't like much of the language.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #17

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I am for the reciprocity act in spirit, but I don't like much of the language.
    I think thats what theyre still working on. It has a good bit of support so i dont see it being a problem, just might take awhile like everything else in congress.
    -JAB




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Guns...

    Best argument I have ever read from the pro-gun stand point can be found here. And it's not even written by someone from this country.


    March 23, 2007 by Marko Kloos
    why the gun is civilization.

    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

    In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

    When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

    There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

    Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

    When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #19

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Best argument I have ever read from the pro-gun stand point can be found here. And it's not even written by someone from this country.
    very well written.
    -JAB




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500
    What Daddy is getting for his 40th birthday ....

    http://www.hk-usa.com/military_produ...16_general.asp
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What Daddy is getting for his 40th birthday ....

    http://www.hk-usa.com/military_produ...16_general.asp
    Officially jealous.

    Are you adding this to it?

    An add-on single shot 40 x 46mm grenade launcher module can be quickly attached to the rail system of all models without tools
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Officially jealous.

    Are you adding this to it?
    Unfortunately, I don't posses an FFL (yet).
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't posses an FFL (yet).
    How hard is that to get... in Texas?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    How hard is that to get... in Texas?
    Doesn't matter the state. You have to go through the ATF for that.

    Texas isn't as easy as you think for a CHL though. You have to attend a two day class, pass a written test, qualify with your weapon (shoot 80% or better), get fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500
    Senator Feinstein is going to propose legislation to ban my birthday present, per MarketWatch.

    Thank Jeebus the House is GOP controlled. Won't ever pass.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Senator Feinstein is going to propose legislation to ban my birthday present, per MarketWatch.

    Thank Jeebus the House is GOP controlled. Won't ever pass.
    Not too mention a few Democrat Senators that likely wouldn't vote for it.

    Question HR. I'm looking for another gun. Something like a mini 14, but with better range. Not sure I want a AR because of their reputation for jamming, any suggestions?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Question HR. I'm looking for another gun. Something like a mini 14, but with better range. Not sure I want a AR because of their reputation for jamming, any suggestions?
    Early AR's jammed, not the ones made these days. You can't go wrong with either really. A friend of mine as a mini and it's a great gun.

    I recommend AR's without reservation though. Are you looking to hunt with it as well? Or just something fun to shoot?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Early AR's jammed, not the ones made these days. You can't go wrong with either really. A friend of mine as a mini and it's a great gun.

    I recommend AR's without reservation though. Are you looking to hunt with it as well? Or just something fun to shoot?
    Ideally, It like to have something for both. A true hunting rifle that I could shoot up to 400 yards (if I'm capable, but I'd at least like the gun to be) and something for fun. Right now I'd be happy with a mix of the two, got another kid on the way so the budget is smaller...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Ideally, It like to have something for both. A true hunting rifle that I could shoot up to 400 yards (if I'm capable, but I'd at least like the gun to be) and something for fun. Right now I'd be happy with a mix of the two, got another kid on the way so the budget is smaller...
    You're going to spend around $1,000 for a quality AR. Bushmaster's M4 Carbine is a very reliable model. It's modular (AR's are the Lego sets of guns) and they have decent customer service.

    You may also want to give Red Jacket a try. Their new Direct Impingement AR's are getting great reviews and are in the same price range. They guarantee all of their weapons for life. Only down side there is you'd have to wait 4-6 months because demand for their weapons are insane right now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You're going to spend around $1,000 for a quality AR. Bushmaster's M4 Carbine is a very reliable model. It's modular (AR's are the Lego sets of guns) and they have decent customer service.

    You may also want to give Red Jacket a try. Their new Direct Impingement AR's are getting great reviews and are in the same price range. They guarantee all of their weapons for life. Only down side there is you'd have to wait 4-6 months because demand for their weapons are insane right now.
    Thanks for the info. What would you say the range is for an AR 2 -250 yards?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland