Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Guns...

Re: Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Harry Reid, as predicted, removed the "Assault Weapons" ban from Feinsteins legislation, fearing it simply will not pass and will embolden the GOP.

The remainder of this bill is going to suffer the same slow death.

My hope now is that it does get pushed to the House. It will be quite the embarrassment for the Dems.
    Yeah, but now they'll just offer it as an amendment to another bill.

Probably something like an equal pay act for women, and then when that bill is voted against because it has the AWB as an amendment, democrats and the media will say "see republicans hate women, they voted against an equal pay bill".
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah, but now they'll just offer it as an amendment to another bill.

Probably something like an equal pay act for women, and then when that bill is voted against because it has the AWB as an amendment, democrats and the media will say "see republicans hate women, they voted against an equal pay bill".
    Nah.

JAB called it correctly. This was their dog and pony show to be able to tell their supporters "Hey, we tried". This is going to go away now.

It's a total non-starter for the Dems. They don't have the votes to get past a filibuster nor do they even sniff the required number for passage in the House.

They can try and do the attachment thing all they want. It hasn't worked when their numbers were favorable in Congress and it certainly won't work now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

So I decided, now that the AWB is DOA, to obtain an NFA Trust and buy my first Short Barrel Rifle.

The trust was incredibly easy and well worth the money. If you're considering ever buying a SBR or a suppressed weapon, I'd highly recommend you get a trust in place instead of going through the ATF process.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

So I decided, now that the AWB is DOA, to obtain an NFA Trust and buy my first Short Barrel Rifle.

The trust was incredibly easy and well worth the money. If you're considering ever buying a SBR or a suppressed weapon, I'd highly recommend you get a trust in place instead of going through the ATF process.
    What's the difference? Do you have a link that I can read up on it?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

What's the difference? Do you have a link that I can read up on it?
    Here you go ...

http://beforeitsnews.com/the-law/201...t-2448094.html

Sweet. What are the cost, roughly?

Just curious for now, as another crumbs snatcher is just days away from arriving, but when I'm ready to purchase one, I'd like to not have to wait.

Sweet. What are the cost, roughly?

Just curious for now, as another crumbs snatcher is just days away from arriving, but when I'm ready to purchase one, I'd like to not have to wait.
    Mrs. HR is an attorney so no cost to set up the trust for me. Typically, they run $200 - $300 though.

I'd go ahead and get it set up now. In case another change in the laws takes place, you'll be grandfathered in. Plus, you'd be able to leave any NFA weapon to your kids without ATF hassles.

Mrs. HR is an attorney so no cost to set up the trust for me. Typically, they run $200 - $300 though.

I'd go ahead and get it set up now. In case another change in the laws takes place, you'll be grandfathered in. Plus, you'd be able to leave any NFA weapon to your kids without ATF hassles.
    That's pretty cheap actually. I'll do that, when I have a minute.

Obama's efforts to ban guns have gone from bad to worse.

Now, he's been called out for using a bad, outdated stat in his stump speeches.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f755_blog.html

Earlier in the thread, it was noted that many of these so-called loopholes have been filled already.

Well I hope the ammo hoarders stop soon. lol I go to Wal Mart (only ammo store in town) every morning before 7am(when they can sell it) to see if there are any 9mm, 40Ss&w, or 22 LRs in stock. So far I've only gotten 2 boxes of 9mms and that's because a friend of mine was first in line and he got them for me. It's pretty bad that you can't even get 22's anymore!!

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Well I hope the ammo hoarders stop soon. lol I go to Wal Mart (only ammo store in town) every morning before 7am(when they can sell it) to see if there are any 9mm, 40Ss&w, or 22 LRs in stock. So far I've only gotten 2 boxes of 9mms and that's because a friend of mine was first in line and he got them for me. It's pretty bad that you can't even get 22's anymore!!
    I hear ya.

Try buying a not as popular caliber. I recently purchase an NFA weapon -- 8" AR 15, fully suppressed and chambered to 300 AAC Blackout.

I found a guy in Dallas that had some in 500 round boxes. The cost? $775.00 a box. They are self defense / hunting rounds as Remington stopped making the plinking rounds so they can concentrate on the more popular rounds.

This time next year, it will be back to normal, but my patience is running very thin.

Yes, in the reader's digest version being armed wouldn't have made a difference...
    Youll have to expand on your definition of "Readers Digest version".

If youre implying you think after getting unexpectedly hit by a car, ran over twice, that hes going to be able to immediately pull a gun and take out two guys, id beg to differ.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Youll have to expand on your definition of "Readers Digest version".

If youre implying you think after getting unexpectedly hit by a car, ran over twice, that hes going to be able to immediately pull a gun and take out two guys, id beg to differ.
    I cannot begin to understand why your immediate reaction to any sort of situation where someone can defend themselves is always "not a chance" when there are literally hundreds of examples every year of people doing just that.

5+ years working traffic in law enforcement tell me it's totally possible. You're assuming the victim is immediately incapacitated from the moment of impact. Some of the witnesses state the guy was alive and kicking after the car stuck him. It doesn't take much to pull a 1lb gun and pull the trigger a few times. Even if you don't strike the person, the mere presence of the weapon is going to give any attacker a moment of pause.

Second, any of the witnesses, had they been armed, could have ended it right then and there, sparing the victims life. He was alive after he was struck. The use of the vehicle to attack someone is deadly force and responding in kind is 100% legal.

I cannot begin to understand why your immediate reaction to any sort of situation where someone can defend themselves is always "not a chance" when there are literally hundreds of examples every year of people doing just that.

5+ years working traffic in law enforcement tell me it's totally possible. You're assuming the victim is immediately incapacitated from the moment of impact. Some of the witnesses state the guy was alive and kicking after the car stuck him. It doesn't take much to pull a 1lb gun and pull the trigger a few times. Even if you don't strike the person, the mere presence of the weapon is going to give any attacker a moment of pause.

Second, any of the witnesses, had they been armed, could have ended it right then and there, sparing the victims life. He was alive after he was struck. The use of the vehicle to attack someone is deadly force and responding in kind is 100% legal.
    first off theres plenty of times i feel there is an ability, but to counter I do not understand why your reaction to any given situation is start shooting immediately without leaving a moment of time to consider the situation. This notion that a gun solves every problem is just not correct. Murder will happen regardless from time to time. this is one of those situations.

you just got hit by a car AND ran over and apparently your first instinct is to pull out your gun and start shooting? Thats completely unrealistic to the situation of just being hit unexpectedly without reason and ran over (apparently twice). even if he was alive and kicking that doesnt mean he was coherent or had an ability or was on alert to actually defend himself from an attack. Im also not seeing that in any story i read so far as far as witnesses saying he was fighting back or alive/coherent initially. They all said they ran him over and immediately started hacking him with their knife and clever. As a bystander, again, seeing somebody get run over and immediately hacked up, there isnt much youre going to do at that point to save that person, which ultimately was the only victim.

IF they continued to try and kill others, than there would be more reason to say a gun could have prevented further death/injury, but that wasnt the case. infact theres plenty of stories that said people did try to stop them despite having knives and a rusty gun.

The notion that the victim could have saved himself if only he was carrying a gun is completely unfounded. The notion that a bystander after seeing a car accident would immediately pull a gun and defend the victim is shakey at best. In that moment nobody is reaching for their gun, their first reaction is to help or call help or run/watch. If a persons reaction is to pull a gun out after seeing a car accident than i just feel sorry for them. Certain incidences are just not going to alter whether youre carrying or not.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    -JAB

This notion that a gun solves every problem is just not correct. Murder will happen regardless from time to time.
    I've never claimed such and I agree that sometimes there's nothing you can do to stop an attack.

you just got hit by a car AND ran over and apparently your first instinct is to pull out your gun and start shooting? Thats completely unrealistic to the situation of just being hit unexpectedly without reason and ran over (apparently twice). even if he was alive and kicking that doesnt mean he was coherent or had an ability or was on alert to actually defend himself from an attack. Im also not seeing that in any story i read so far as far as witnesses saying he was fighting back or alive/coherent initially. They all said they ran him over and immediately started hacking him with their knife and clever. As a bystander, again, seeing somebody get run over and immediately hacked up, there isnt much youre going to do at that point to save that person, which ultimately was the only victim.

IF they continued to try and kill others, than there would be more reason to say a gun could have prevented further death/injury, but that wasnt the case. infact theres plenty of stories that said people did try to stop them despite having knives and a rusty gun.
    Complete and total conjecture on your part on every level.

I know a BaltCo officer who was run over 5 times and still had the wherewithal to pull her weapon and fire off 3 shots. She had broken both femurs and her hip.

You're automatically assuming, based on ???? I don't know, that someone run over would immediately and permanently be unable to defend themselves.

I think you vastly underestimate the natural reaction of humans and self preservation.

The notion that the victim could have saved himself if only he was carrying a gun is completely unfounded. As if carrying a gun would protect you from somebody shooting you in the back of the head as you walk down the street. Certain incidences are just not going to alter whether youre carrying or not.
    Again, a claim I never made.

The fluidity of being attacked and the uniqueness of each and every time someone is attacked is something you don't seem to fathom.

What's unrealistic is to say with certainly that because X, Y and Z happened, there's not way someone could have defended themselves. Yet, as I stated before it happens hundreds, if not thousands of times every year.

Could it be unlikely that this soldier could not have defended himself? Sure. But I will never jump to the conclusion it's impossible and I'd like to see people prepared for that scenario.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.