OT-- Kevin Cowherd Leaving the Sun

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here is the article:
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...obref=obinsite

I have always enjoyed reading his pieces, and certainly will miss his writings.

Re: OT-- Kevin Cowherd Leaving the Sun

... as the few remaining decent writers depart, MBOD is left alone to make up lies and whisper in the dark.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

He mainly writes fluff pieces for the average uninformed fan. And isn't Cowherd the genius who wrote that the Ravens would regret cutting Billy Cundiff and putting all their hopes on a rookie kicker in 2012?

No big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    He mainly writes fluff pieces for the average uninformed fan.
    You could say this about most sports writers...

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    You could say this about most sports writers...
    And they would be the ones we don't mind losing. Maybe that's why it took a week before someone started a thread about Cowherd.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

To each there own I guess but this is hardly a big loss, IMO.

In my opinion, Kevin Cowherd will be missed because he is a good writer, and there are so few good writers left doing paper media. His prose was interesting and entertaining and he could write for all audiences. Yeah, I get that people on this board know a lot about the Ravens and probably won't learn much from him (although his stuff was often very insightful IMHO). But as sports pages move further towards crappy blogs loaded with editorial errors and sloppy writing and off-beat opinions made to elicit comments, I love the old-school columnists and reporters like Cowherd who are fabulous writers, have lots of inside sources, and provide insight to the mass audience.

I find Cowherd to be a good writer but was often short on writing ideas. During the 2010 NFL Season, the only topic he seemingly wrote about when it came to the Ravens was, "This game is a must-win game for the Ravens." For baseball, it was, "The Orioles are awful." Once the flogged horses completely decomposed, he was lost for writing topics.

He was much better before they moved him to sports. He wrote very funny opinion pieces, on just about anything. I looked forward to reading his column every morning, I stopped soon after they moved him. Never understood what they were thinking with that move.