Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 22 of 22
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jumped off Couch
    Posts
    1,013


    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

    I want the farmer in Nebraska to have a voice as well as the San Francisco hippie and not one dominate over the other.
    I don't think city votes should count for more than rural votes, but why should they count for less? In a national popular vote wouldn't they be equal?

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk




  2. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,353
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I don't think city votes should count for more than rural votes, but why should they count for less? In a national popular vote wouldn't they be equal?

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    City votes don't count for less. Not sure I understand your point.

    It's about states, not cities. The electoral college give states like Nebraska more of a say as compared to a state like New York. This doesn't diminish New York's power, rather it put Nebraska on a more equal footing.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #15

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I voted for him too.

    And his best shot is not a popular vote, but an electoral system. It's designed for candidates like him.

    A candidate like him can focus on the state level and get recognition by winning a state or two. In a strict popular vote, he would have to compete nationally just to get noticed.
    I wanted ron paul vs obama. When that didnt happen, i thought hard about voting for johnston. Ultimately decided being in a swing state it was best to vote for the big two. I was a toss up between obama and johnston. Libertarians could really bring this country together. Conservative economics and liberal policies. I feel theyre closer to the gray area than either big party.

    I think chicago is referring to the dense population thats typically poor and votes liberal. The big cities do acount for most electoral votes per acre but really its equal. Where the gray comes in is that most heavily populated areas are more poor than well off so they tend to cary entire states, florida, ohio, etc.
    -JAB




  4. #16

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I wanted ron paul vs obama. When that didnt happen, i thought hard about voting for johnston. Ultimately decided being in a swing state it was best to vote for the big two. I was a toss up between obama and johnston. Libertarians could really bring this country together. Conservative economics and liberal policies. I feel theyre closer to the gray area than either big party.
    Gary Johnson embodied everything I wanted in a candidate. I also voted Libertarian for both the Senate and the House. I was never under the assumption that they would have a chance, but that's the way I felt represented my vote best.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,353
    I wrote in Paul in '08.

    Felt he was a little too old this time around though so I went Johnson.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #18

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Gary Johnson embodied everything I wanted in a candidate. I also voted Libertarian for both the Senate and the House. I was never under the assumption that they would have a chance, but that's the way I felt represented my vote best.
    Nothing wrong with that. I voted 5-6 dems 1 lib and 1 rep. To me who they are as people is almost more important than their policies. Id rather have two good people with opposing thoughts than 1 good 1 bad with the same. Johnston may be my vote in 2016. Ill be pushing hard to get him noticed.
    -JAB




  7. #19

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I wrote in Paul in '08.

    Felt he was a little too old this time around though so I went Johnson.
    In all honesty a liberal conservative or libertarian may be exactly what we need. Im huge proponent for a three party system for that reason.

    Is it true the live independent presidential debate was only picked up by al jezeera? As far as a tv station. I heard that and noticed i didnt see it nationally televised but never saw if it was anywhere else.
    -JAB




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,353
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    In all honesty a liberal conservative or libertarian may be exactly what we need. Im huge proponent for a three party system for that reason.

    Is it true the live independent presidential debate was only picked up by al jezeera? As far as a tv station. I heard that and noticed i didnt see it nationally televised but never saw if it was anywhere else.
    First time I've heard that. Interesting, if true.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #21

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    First time I've heard that. Interesting, if true.
    No idea how credible the source is but jives with what i heard/saw.

    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle32784.htm

    complete BS that the middle east sees this but americans dont. Thats an argument for NOT letting the little man have a voice.
    -JAB




  10. #22

    Re: It's the 21st Century -- Time for Popular Election of the President

    For a long time I thought the two party system was a terrible idea. After thinking it though though, I wouldn't add many more. The reason I changed my views is the same thing that's wrong with government now.

    To many people not willing to compromise. As it stands, very little is going to change in Washington because the only people who get elected are those who bow down to the zealots in their respective parties. There is no room to move towards the center which is what an overwhelming majority of people want. Heck, I'm the most hardcore right winger on this board when it comes to fiscal issues. I think we should get rid of welfare, make income tax a flat 10% across the board and stop the federal government from giving money to states. On social issues I'd probably be considered a little left leaning. Abortion should be legal (without government assistance), civil unions should be legal in all states, and illegal immigrants should be issued work visas provided they pay 15% income tax.

    If we went to a free party system, we'd have fifty different people on the ballot for president and each one would be battling only for the state they came from or the group that endorsed them. The inability to compromise would be even worse than it is now.

    I guess a three, maybe four party system would be best but if that happens I see the Dems/Reps taking control of the center with the zealots taking the far right/left votes.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland