Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Galen, though I don't blame you, as it is the illness of modern thought in academia (which you are no doubt a product of), I'm afraid you mistake truth with mere fact. I seek truth, you seek fact. So while you and your liberal cohorts arguments may be brilliant in composition, they are so within a narrow scope; as when pushed in the direction of first principles (where inextricably truth lies) they crumble like a house of cards for want of basic relevance.

Plato recognized that all intellectual inquiry must reflect whether it is moving towards or away from first principles. The result of moving away is mere facts without reference, as knowledge never lies on the periphery. In the Phaedrus Plato remarks:

"They will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome, having the reputation of knowledge without the reality."

I can't help but feel your cause was in Plato's mind when he wrote:

"The excessive love of self is in reality the source of all offenses; for the lover is blinded by the beloved, so that he judges wrongly of the just, the good, and the honorable, and thinks that he ought always prefer his own interest to the truth."

What devastating outcome could possibly follow when mindset of "own interest" is shared by the masses? Liberalism will reveal this in the times to come.
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 11-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt